maybe i'm just in a very loud band...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by K Dubbs, Jun 1, 2003.

1. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    maybe i'm just in a very loud band, but I've got an eb mm 210 and 212 stack with 1000 watts pumpin through it, and I have to crank the whole rig to just under clipping to be hearing myself at suitable levels. I'm playing with two obnoxiously loud guitars, so that surely makes a big difference, but I just can't see how some of you guys get by with 300 watts and a 210. Am I missing something here, or should I be glad that I wear earplugs?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Are those cabs 4 or 8 ohm?
    with 8 ohm it's only 700 W.

Maybe you need to change your input gain settings.
    Huge bass EQ boosts also eat a lot of power without making the bass more audible.
    Also, a scooped mids sound will get you buried.
  3. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    put the input gain down or up? and also about the eq are you aying nminimize it?
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ya wanna increase input gain
    you dont need to minimize the bass but don't bump it either
    boosting mids has helped me out a buch of times
    and yes you are in a very loud band
  5. K Dubbs

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    i just plug my fbb 4 string into my preamp, flat eq, a bit of compression. both cabs add up to a 4 ohm load, so it is 1000 watts, and I don't see how input gain means anything with a preamp? as far as I currently know, whichever way you get a preamp pushing past +4 dB's on the input of a power amp, you'll get clipping. Given that, does it matter whether my preamp's input gain is high and master volume low vs low input gain and high master volume?
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    OK, the 1000W are only in bridge mode, not if you hook each cab to one channel, you didn't specify that.
  7. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Just something a little less technical that you may want to try. It sounds to me like you may have a problem with a lot of frequency overlap, rather than volume. Assuming your guitarists are using 12" speakers and the modern full range guitar tone, you may be covering each other up a lot. Just as an experiment, try EQing more low end into your sound and take out some of the mids and highs that your guitarists are already covering, then maybe borrow some 15" speakers. It might be a subtle difference that helps you find your own spot in the sonic spectrum. It might be worth trying, anyway.
  8. K Dubbs

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    I am positive i've got the amp bridged. I like to think I know how to use all of my equipment correctly. My main point i guess was seeing if maybe my power amp was having some issues, or if i need to tell my guitarrists to turn down. It would seem to me that 1000 watts and 210's and 212's with good sensitivities should produce more than enough sound, especially since i'm not doing any smiley eq or anything like that. I just built myself a pretty sweet sounding 215 that I'm goign to try next rehearsal, so maybe that'll make a difference.
  9. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Good luck with ever telling a guitarist to turn down. I worked with several that obviously didn't know knobs went counter-clockwise too.
  10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I can make my ears bleed with 700 watts, so I think you may have some issues. I currently use 1400 watts and play in a VERY loud band, but that power is for clean, unclipped performance, not volume. Heck, 500 watts should get you enough juice with those cabs in the loudest metal band . . .
  11. If your guitar players are using half stacks(4 12s)and you are using 2 10s and two 12s they have an advantage in speaker area.I've found that even keeping up with guitar players using 2 12 combos is hard to do if they are cranking them.I use a 210 and a 212 and when I use them together it seems to get as loud as I can stand.Maybe you should try to get them to turn down,your rig should get awful loud.
  12. GreyBeards Rule: For every 12" guitar speaker you need 2x10's or 1x15. This is a bit of over kill I know, however, I just don't think you've got enough speakers. 1000 watts is plenty but 2x12's and 2x10" are only going to play so loud no matter how much power you feed them. I think you need at least 1 8x10 cab and 2 8x10 cabs would be even better. jofo (just an old farts opinion)
  13. I've found through practical experience that I require 10x the power of the guitar amp.

My guitar player uses a Carvin 1x12" that produces an honest 60 watts (4 6L6 tubes). Geez Louise... is this thing loud. My daughter plays through a Marshall JCM800 50w driving a Marshall half stack (4x12). Yikes!!! Her bassist uses a D410XLT at full crank to keep up with her.

Guitar players without ear plugs get desensitized hearing within the first few tunes. Watch their routine of play-turn up, play-turn up, play-turn up. Three or four tunes later, they are cranking at bleeding level and cannot "hear their tone".

No kidding... tone deaf for sure.

I play with ear plugs 100% of the time. I removed them once and damn near went crazy with the noise blast.
  14. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    You guys didn't REALLY think that I could resist this post, did you? :^>)

If you need 1,000 watts to "compete"...or feel the need to wear earplugs....ask the band nicely to turn down. If the polite request doesn't work, purchase a flame-thrower from your nearest ARMY surplus store and melt down their gear. After you've done this a couple of times, they'll realize that you're serious. :eek:

Bass-ically Yours,
  15. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    This is so true...
  16. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    sounds like you have plenty of power, what you need are some old school 2x15 cabs,I played in a very loud rock band, and that worked for me.I kept
    one 2x15 on the guitar players side of the stage
    and my signal went threw a Ernie Ball stereo volume pedal, so when I needed to I could kick the pan switch and just step on his little pointy head anytime I wanted to.You are on the right track. They will solve the problem.:)
  17. K Dubbs

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    thanks for all the comments, guys. I especially like the flame-thrower suggestion....:D Hehe, the 215 is finished and sounds great, but the 140 lb son of a mother doesn't want to leave my house....looks like i'm going back to the cabinet designing "drawing board."
  18. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Put some casters on it, and a couple grab bars.
  19. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Like Grey Beard says: Eight tens.

If that doesn't work 16 tens. (Although eight will work.)
  20. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

you could always put up another mortgage for a pair of these... ;)

if you're gonna blow 'em away, might as well do it in style... :bassist: