1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

maybe its me?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by tomersg, Aug 14, 2012.

1. tomersg

tomersg

Aug 6, 2007
    Israel
    talked with band leader on the phone after two rehearsals with his reggae band. and in the end i stopping play with him.
    the leader/creator/singer/guitar player, is a young dude who put out his first independent cd few weeks ago.
    he expected me too learn all his tunes note to note with every little nuance and know it from memory from the first rehearsal..
    and mimic every little thing that the former bass player did with them. and for free no money and fuel on me. (and fuel is very expensive here) and also no readable charts..
    played with the band acoustic local radio show after only one rehearsal that was very nice and positive.
    but second rehearsal was disaster. it was at noon at the hight of the heat, at very ugly and dirty studio and than this musical argue had came out..
    i playing with some other gigs and much older than this dude with lot of experience so i'm not worried but its kind a boomer and i dealt with that attitude some other times before..

i can stand this attitude. some times people are so anal about the music and not letting player to bring himself and leave in a dreamland of perfection that its actually is a dictatorial.

but always a little question i asking myself - maybe its me?

2. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Life is too short to stress about something you love. Move on and find a good band that is a right fit for you.

3. +1 to Axtman... Cut and run.

I had an audition with a reggae band that told me to learn the songs on their myspace page. Okay, no problem... So I learned the songs and went in for the audition. I killed the three songs they wanted me to learn, but after the third song, the band leader told me that I added an extra 1/8th note during the chorus groove. I was rather confused and said that it was on the recording on their myspace. The leader and the drummer then proceeded to "suggest" that I should learn their songs properly and moved into theory after that. They were adamant, so I didn't argue (because I also knew I wasn't going to take the gig at that point) and let them ramble on. I knew for 100% sure I was playing what was on the recording, and sure enough... Got home and checked, and I was correct, but they shredded me.

Like I did, you can find a better gig. There's no reason to deal with people like that!

5sg.

4. I'd say you're lucky you found out now, not down the road when you have a lot more invested. You sound like a straight up guy so you'll find the right project with the right people and be fine. Remember, you're not a 6-stringer so you can actually be choosey :)

5. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    You added an extra 1/8 note during the chorus groove?!! Oh man you totally destroyed the song! If you would have done that on stage you would have totally blown the gig and everyone would have left disappointed and discouraged. How can you live with yourself for trashing everyone's lives?

(heavy sarcasm)

6. Lol :D

I know! Totally ruined it! :D I came to two realizations after that audition... 1) Doesn't that mentality go against what reggae is about? I mean, I thought a main philosophy of reggae is peace and positive vibes and "just play what 'da music tells ya ta play, mon!" LOL 2) I'm a "professional" bass player. It may not be my day job, but I'm still good at it. I don't tell you how to play your _____, so don't tell me how to play my bass. No matter how good I am though, there's no pleasing someone who stresses about an extra 1/8th note. I can take constructive criticism, but that sure ain't it!

I got a text message from the drummer a few days later saying I was the top player in their auditions... i simply replied "Thanks!" and didn't bother with them again. Now I'm playing with a gospel band and a funk/horn cover band. The funk band plays some Tower of Power stuff, so I get to channel my inner Rocco. And in the gospel band, I sometimes feel like I'm overplaying, but the leader keeps asking for more!

Don't waste time with overbearing a$$h*les. There are people out there that have much better attitudes and are much easier to work with, and they're probably better players too!

5sg.

7. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    It's not you, but if it is, it's me, too!

I've played with some people like that, but not for very long. It's a whole different thing, if they're writing big checks! If somebody wants my silence they can pay for it!

I was talking to a fellow musician friend who had played with the same similar-ilk guy's band (although at different times) & he had an interesting comment: Eventually, the only one willing to play with him will be a volleyball named Wilson.

8. Amen to that brother... getting PAID is a whole other story. Keep paying me and I'll be quiet all you want. That means I get paid more to do nothing. lol When you're in a band for fun, it's supposed to be FOR FUN.

Nice Cast Away reference too. :)

5sg.

9. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    He needs to read Victor Wooten's book "The Music Lesson". It's all about the groove!

I am all about playing well and accurately, but not to the point of ruining the feel of the music.

Maybe he can record the bass part of the CD then he would not need a bass player at all! :D

10. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Take it from an old man and experienced player. He has someone else in mind for the bass chair. Probably a family member. In the future after his family member quits he'll have the nerve to ask you back. Don't do it. Never make someone a priority for whom you are an option. I read that quote somewhere but can't rememebr. Right now, as far as he is concerned, you'll never do anything right. It's not you or your playing.

11. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I would NEVER play with a band that wanted me to copy cat another player, I have to be able to add a little bit of myself to the music, or I dont play it!

12. Betrayer_Bass

Betrayer_Bass Profanity Fish.

Sep 24, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    Yeah, don't copy other bassists! I am lucky in that I just joined a band and th BL wants me to add my own flavor. It's great! Don't have to do exactly what was done before, even though it's been recorded and released, and can do my own thing :). Love it!

I hope he never calls you back, glad you found some things that make you happy :),

13. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    This is a pet peeve with me. If someone wants a bassline played EXACTLY as it exist then they need to do everything they can to help. (and yes... payment is a wonderful workplace lubricant). Or time to learn the parts, or readable charts. The former bass player probably jammed the parts on their own and the BL has no place in his imagination to have the parts different. Fine. Let the new guy know what he's in for and do all you can to get him up to speed.

14. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Gold Supporting Member

I think the applicable saying is - "if you copy from one person, it is plagarism: if you copy from 100, it is research!"

I HATE playing stuff note for note.

Dan K.

15. Unless the song has a hook signature bassline, I never copy cover songs note for note.
    He sounds like a little dictator. I doubt if he will ever make it if treats the people around him like this.

16. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

Dec 25, 2011
    Leave out the 'tator' part & I'm with ya.

17. Gaius46

Gaius46

Dec 15, 2010
    I agree with everything you've said except the bolded part. I'd be a poorer player if I didn't take suggestions from other players - even non bassists.

This past Thursday my guitar player suggested a minor change to a bass line I was playing. His suggestion turned a decent line into a good one.

18. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    I think it's a little bizarre if bands request that you play exactly like their former bass player. I think playing similar bass lines is fine, but each person should be able to come in and bring their own ideas into the song. Or maybe that's just me. I know that I couldn't just come in and play the same thing as the recording.