Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

maybe not the kind of question people should ask

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Shuller, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Shuller

Shuller

Feb 2, 2003
    moscow, russia
    Hello,
    Like many others on talkbass, I feel honoured to be able to 'talk' to you.
    I'm not feeling very comfortable asking this question but I really have to...
    A few years back I had the pleasure of doing vocals for an interesting punk/reggae collective based in moscow. I am russian and the rest were all from around the world, a swede, an american, a thai etc. It was my first forray into the creative side of music and in a year we played a couple of gigs and recorded an okay album which we have never released but simply let it be passed on hand by hand amongst a small group of people. As the school year finished, the american and the swede left for home to go to college and the band was put away into good memories. Time went by, I started playing the bass and formed a new band which covers a few of the old groups songs. A few weeks ago I got a letter from the american's parents saying he had been shot and has since died in hospital. We had band practice and I don't know how I can play the old songs and if we should anyway. He has been an inspiration to me from day one and the question is, how did you cope with a loss of a friend/fellow band member?
    I apologize in case this question should have never been asked.

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

this is a very sad story but I can relate some. I lost my best friend, he was also the guy who got me into playing music when we were thriteen. he was d. boon and he was a righteous man. he got killed in a van wreck a little over seventeen years ago and it's still hard for me to cope w/but I try my best and use the thoughts I have for him as inspiration. I'm always thinking "what would d. boon do" when I'm confronted w/something tough or I'm feeling kind of afraid. in a way, he can live a little through me, through his inspiration. when people ask me what kind of bass player I am, I answer: "I'm d. boon's bass player."

my thoughts to this are to try keep your friend's spirit alive by infusing it in your art and your creations. it can be a fire that can help stoke the coals. don't let the sadness overwhelm you even though it is much heaviness to lose someone close - anyone lost in our human family certainly hurts but this is the way of this world. some kind of lesson about life to learned but it's so difficult. it was one of the hardest things I ever had to learn.

let your friend's memory live as love inside you, let it help inspire you w/working your bass. that's what I try to do.

on bass, watt

3. Shuller

Shuller

Feb 2, 2003
    moscow, russia
    thank you for your advice and I did ask because I knew about D.Boon. You have been most helpful and I would like to wish you luck.

I have another question for you, this one good-hearted, have you heard about the band Sublime and their debut album's first track which I believe references the minutemen in "punk-rock changed our lives phrase", and if you have any thoughts on their music.

4. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

yes, I knew that cuz they asked me permission and I knew of those cats I did some gigs w/them on the bill when they were first starting. their bass cat, eric, is a great player w/a righteous feel. much respect to him. so sad about bradley. bud (the drummer) is now playing w/curt kirkwood and krist novoselic in a trio called eyes adrift.

on bass, watt