Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Maybe this belongs to "setup"

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by olivier, Apr 26, 2004.

1. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Hi there, I spent last week in the south of France, and spotted this hot trio playing "manouche" standards for tips in Avignon. Check out that bass with its homemade setup! Three strings, two of them are actually grass cutter cables. And the whitewood fingerboard is looking good. But the best of it all comes from the strips of wood to hide the rims. Anyway that bass made a decent sound, doing the job.

2. My God Olie...TWO accordions..... :bawl:

3. Cool, Olivier! Thanks for posting that. Some other thread mentioned the use of Weed Eater line as bass strings, but I thought they were kidding!

Any idea how he tuned the strings? (I know, I know; by turning the pegs. :rolleyes: )

4. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Sorry man, I was with friends with less interest in that stuff and who were rushing me... I did not take time to talk with the guy... I knew I should have ask.

5. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Here's another shot...

6. hofner

hofner

Dec 7, 2003
    france
    hello Olivier !!! i live in Annecy and saw a similar trio in the streets few week ago.... i don't know how good were the guys from Avignon, but have to said that in my town, they were very bads musicians...in fact, many of them come from ex-yougoslavia and just learn to play one or two themes ...
    btw, the urb i saw was a very old one (4/4), in poor condition... i tried to talk to them but it was impossible..

7. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Those guys weren't that bad, although you can spot that slick fingering used here by our DB buddy. Good or bad I often tip street musicians wherever they come from. I don't like when they use pre-recorded stuff. Most picturesque thing I saw were a flamenco trio with goat in a suburb of Barcelona: Dad on trumpet, boy on keyboard, little girl with goat handling the hat.

8. Yeah, you learn real quick to tip them if you want their faces...otherwise they turn their heads away from you.