Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Maybe this was a bad idea

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassturtle, Jul 5, 2004.

1. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    For whatever reason I decided to open my shop today. I've had one customer walk in and no phone calls so far. The one guy who came in was like "Why are you open today?"

Anybody else at work today? I suppose I could just leave....

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I went to class only to find the whole university was closed today...
    But yeah, I gotta work in about an hour, and I worked yesterday, too.

3. why shouldn't you work today? did i miss something? :confused:

4. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Usually, if a holiday falls on a Sat or Sun the following Monday is a vaction day. It all depends on your line of work and if your boss is a **** or not.

5. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Well, I finally got a phone call. It was my wife..."Honey, why are you at work today?"

This is stupid.

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Now that´s comedy! :)

7. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I'm at work, but not really applying myself. Of course, I'm half dead from lack of sleep. My neighbors apparently don't have to work and were shooting fireworks until about 2 am. Felt like I was in a war zone.

I say, if its your shop and no one's coming in, go home and enjoy the day!

8. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Yeah, I gave everyone else the day off, but a couple of my instructors didn't want to lose a day of lessons. I figured that since the rest of the US had the day off I'd be somewhat busy...not the case. I'm gonna give it another couple of hours and see what happens. If it's still like this after 3pm I'm gonna head out of here.

9. toytech

toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    Yes, I decided to open my garage today, set one appointment for tomorrow plus a tow in coming later. All my vendors are closed so I am just looking at upright basses on the net. (drools)

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Wait, wait, wait! I've got a gig tonight and I really need some picks! Can you stay open until 6? I can't make it till then.

11. newbie16

newbie16

May 31, 2004
    N. VA
    hey, kavorka! i'm a big seinfeld fan too. i always thought, though, that the latvian guy said "the lure of the animal", not the lure of the beast.. im probably wrong though.

12. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Not to hijack the post, but Seinfeld's awesome. I can't remember, but I think you're right. Better change my subtitle!

13. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    ROFL dude you have no idea how true that is. I usually close at 8pm and it never fails that I get some clown banging on my door at 8:30 "Dude! Dude! Please let me in...I'm on my way to a gig and I need new strings!" So, I let them in and then usually the next words out of their mouth are "Dude, can you put the stings on for me?" I always do it for 'em cuz I'm a sucker.

Moral of the story: be nice to your local guitar store guys :D

14. newbie16

newbie16

May 31, 2004
    N. VA
    SOUP NAZI!!!
    not that there's anything wrong with that..
    yadda yadda yadda

:)

ok sorry, back to the thread. umm.. i hope everythings not closed.. my dad and i are stopping by a pawn shop to check out amps n' stuff after we visit my grandma.

15. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    No soup for you!

Do pawn shops ever really close? I think its different for a legitimate music store. Here in Austin, if Bass Emporium were closed today (it may be) I wouldn't blame John Files for taking the day off and being with his family. Of course, if he ran the local McDonald's, I'd expect it to be open ;)

16. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Heeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

It's funny that you mention pawn shops. I think I might go hit some if I decide to close up early. I'm always looking for that 'old beat up Fender' for $50.

17. newbie16

newbie16

May 31, 2004
    N. VA
    "if i had a son, i would name him isosceles. isosceles kramer."

"the sea was angry that day, my friends. like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli."

18. newbie16

newbie16

May 31, 2004
    N. VA
    that's it. im starting a thread. sorry for hijacking yours!

19. Stupid holiday weekend thing.

I spent an hour looking for a music store, and only to find that it was closed. Grr... :mad: :bawl:

20. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Well now I know why TB has gone so quiet.............