Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Maybe you can help me out with this.....

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by nate 0 jt, Dec 19, 2001.

1. I am just about to buy my Repeater but I have a question about a foot controller. Is it possible to operate a Repeater and a Boss VF-1 with just one footcontroller? Does the foot controller have to have a special feature on it or what? Let me know if you know any thing. Thank you much

Nate M

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    depending on whether the patches on the VF1 are assignable to different patch change numbers on the pedal board, it should be possible to run both with one floorboard, but it will limit you in terms of what you can do - you won't be able to hit two pedals at once in order to change sound and start a new loop seemlessly or whatever. It might be worth looking at what functions you're going to need on each, and maybe getting a fairly simple pedal for the Repeater, with a more complex one for the VF-1, allowing you to switch effects on and off within the patches...

have fun!

steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. I just got my repeater. I have a setup question. As of right now I am playing through an Ampeg Bass Rocket. It doesnt have an effects loop. I want to be able to record my bass on the repeater with effects and without effects. would I set it up like this. BASS----BOSS VF-1-----REPEATER-----AMP? would that work. let me know what you think. Thanks

Nate m

4. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Nate,

if you want to be able to change the order of your signal chain (ie put FX after or before the loop), you're going to either need a mixing desk and have each of the options on a 'send', which you can then send to each other, or else some sort of digital switching matrix.

However, the signal chain that you've spelt out below is gonna work fine - to record without FX, just hit the bypass button on the VF1 !

have fun

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

5. I have everything setup but I can't seem to be able to control the repeater with my foot controller. How can I operate both with just one foot controller? Thanks. Nate

6. good news. I figured out how to run both. I went from the foot controller to the repeater and out the "thru" outlet of the repeater to the boss then out the boss and back to the foot controller. The only problem, When I hit button number 2 in the first bank, not only does it start recording(which is what it is supposed to do) but it also switches the effect setting. Do you have any ideas on what to do?

Also, When I a playing something, like a chord riff or something, when I tap in to start recording, it cuts off the first bit of my riff. I know it isnt a problem with the repeater. I just can't seem to tap in just at the right moment. Do you have any hints in that area? Thanks a lot for all your help, hope you had a nice holiday and hope you will have a great new year. Talk to you later.....nate

7. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I know that on some multi FX boxes you can assign each patch to a different program change number - check the manual of the Korg...

the timing glitch with the Repeater could be one of two things - a MIDI lag (possible but not that likely), or more likely, just bad timing with your feet! :oops:) it takes a while to get used to operating loops with your feet like that, but practice and you'll get the hang of it... :oops:)

good luck

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk