Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Maybe you guys know, DIY EQ

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SirPoonga, May 5, 2005.

1. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    I've been scouring the DIY stompbox sites trying to find info on building my own EQ. All I can find, and what people suggest, is take something like a marshal tone stack and modify for bass. WELL, first, how do I modify that for bass. I really need to know how the resistors and caps affect the sound.

So far it seems all I can find is a program that has a couple of popular tone stacks that you can change values of componants and look a graph. Well, since I don't understand how the componants effect the sound for me it's just trial and error to see how the graph looks.

So, I guess my question is do any of you make your own EQ? It doesn't look terribly hard. It looks like, depending on the tone stack, it can be as simple as a couple of opamps, some caps, some resistors, some pots. Or as complex as an opamp for each frequency boost and, grrr, the term for opposite of boost, brain fart right now, can't think of the term.

Even looking at pictures of a circuit board for a commercial preamp there doesn't seem like much on it.

2. check out headwize.com, they have schematics for headphone amplifiers and also eq cirquits in there ...both passive and active (mostly based on jfet opamps). Also, a lot of people swear by the mimf preamp. they've made a couple of versions for piezo and magnetic bass pickups.

3. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Could someone point me to the mimf preamp? I went to mimf.com, there isn't a link on the first site and I don't know where the next best place to look for it on their site, the forum?

4. you have to register (it's free) and then you can search the library for it.