1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mayhem distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Metal Mitch, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Anybody know what Necrobutcher is using to get that distortion sound on Mediolanum Capta Est?

Karli likes this.
  2. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    WOW!.. They are still around??? i wonder if they are still eating brain stew and buring down churches?.. Well I am pretty sure he used Marshal heads jcm 900's???...

cheers

Alex

3. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    WOW!.. They are still around??? i wonder if they are still eating brain stew and buring down churches?.. Well I am pretty sure he used Marshal heads jcm 900's???...

cheers

Alex

Karli likes this.
  4. Karli

Karli

Jul 21, 2017
    Bielefeld, Germany
    Cheers, you all...

I know it is an very old thread...but does anybody know, what Mayhem - Necrobutche, their bass-player - used to get the fine, distorted overdriven Bass.Sound?!

...I love the distorted Bass on "live in Leipzig" ;-)

Cheers
    Karli

5. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    15-year old thread!

GentProvocateur and Karli like this.
  6. Karli

Karli

Jul 21, 2017
    Bielefeld, Germany
  7. I can't find anything anywhere. If I were to take a guess, overdrive pedal combined with natural overdrive through the Marshall head.

Karli likes this.
  8. Actually, starting at about 3:02 on "Deathcrush" from Live the bass solo sounds more fuzz-y to me.

Karli likes this.
  9. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    I have a feeling that they used whatever distortion pedal they found laying around back in the day whether it was built for guitar or bass.. most of the Norwegian black metal bands did not have 'bass heavy' bass tones. it was all about minimally produced 'cold' sounding bass tones that are distorted as hell.

I love the genre, still listen to burzum and darkthrone when I go to sleep, but I think that sound would not work with all most anything else I'd play.

DarkAvianFind and Karli like this.
  10. Karli

Karli

Jul 21, 2017
    Bielefeld, Germany
    I think so too....they used what was around...but I also hear a very special distortion sound on Bass on "live in leipzig" and it sounds like fuzz (ehx, muff)?!...

Cheers
    Karli

DarkAvianFind likes this.
  11. Karli

Karli

Jul 21, 2017
    Bielefeld, Germany
    Maybe, Necrobutcher used an old EHX Muff...

Has anyone thought about the new Metal Muff as a Bass-Black-Metal-Machine?

Cheers
    Karli

12. After responding to this thread I started wondering if my Green Russian could get that Live sound. Haven't gotten around to trying yet though.

Karli likes this.
  13. Ok, again, I'm mostly focusing on the Live in Leipzig album, but with P bass with tone knob cranked -> DG B3K w/ drive a 9:00 -> Big Muff GR w/ tone knob at 2:00 and sustain cranked -> amp EQ'd with treble and high mids boosted and bass and low mids cut got pretty close imho. Seems like what you need is a distortion-y fuzz with the highs boosted. I guess what you'd expect when trying to get the necro sound. Treble-y and buzzy. Probably why it so frequently gets lost in the mix.

Karli likes this.
  14. Just saw this on Facebook, if you are still interested "So I played with Mayhem tonight, Necrobutcher's rig is an Epiphone LP bass -> TU-2 -> Metal Zone -> Ampeg SVT4/810. How's that!?"

Karli likes this.