Maynard Ferguson bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Steve Holroyd, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Here's a tough one I hope some has the answer to.

Back in the spring of 1982, Maynard Ferguson and his band came to play at my high school. I went to see it.

He had some young kid--19 or so--playing bass. On both upright and electric, he was stunning. I wasn't really paying attention (I hadn't seen the light yet and still fancied myself a guitarist), and I was still impressed.

Almost 21 years later, I want to find this guy's name, and see if he ever went on to do anything else. Any ideas?
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Gordon Johnson?

Jimmy Johnson's brother
    (JJ plays with Holdsworth, Billy Childs, James Taylor, Flim & The BB's, etc).
  3. He played with Ferguson only until 1978. Plus, he's too old.

He has a nice webiste, though.
  4. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    I know Matt Bissonette played with him in the early 80's & I believe Tim Landers played in the late 80's - maybe it was one of them?
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Did either of them play URB?

...the plot thickens.

(Don't discount the fact that this guy could be a faceless, nameless "road" musician that maybe didn't record w/ Ferguson)
  6. Ferguson was known for recruiting his band straight from Berklee, many of them were 19-22 yo, and they were the best. They rotated at a fair rate, so your chances of finding who that guy was are fairly slim.
  7. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I dont' know who use to play with him but I am a trumpet player and I think Maynard's music gets the best of both worlds for me....loud high trumpets and funkey bass.
  8. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Maynard came to my high school in 1983, and from what I was told, the whole band was recruited right out of school(probably Berklee)

This was Ossining High School in Ossining NY (Home of Sing Sing prison)
  9. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I love Maynard Ferguson! I played trumpet in high school band and I was in awe of him. Used to sit around in class imagining myself playing the intro to "Gospel John" before 1000's of people!

OK sorry. This thread is about his bassists. Yea, there was some great bass work on his records. The wacky version of "Chameleon" had some cool stuff. "Primal Scream" was cool as hell! I can't remember which one, but Abraham Laboriel played on one of his records in the early 80's. This is bringing back good memories. I think I'll load up my CD player with some Maynard and dig on it a while!
  10. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I've played in a polka band with one of his keyboard players!
  11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Peter Erskin was in the band the same time as Gordon Johnson......I saw that band and they smoked:cool:
  12. Abraham Laboriel might be the guy...I remember an "exotic" name. Any more infor on him?
  13. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    My money sez it was not Abe.

If you're not familiar with Laboriel, do a search at
    He has probably played on hundreds of records; I'm sure you have already heard him(The Crusaders, Lee Ritenour, Friendship, solo projects, etc).
    His son is Paul McCartney's current drummer.
  14. sonicyogi

sonicyogi Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2005
    Was it Lou Carfa from DFW?
  15. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Old thread, but I also so Maynard with Rick Petrone on bass in the 70's, the bass chair was always great. I dug Petrone's band New York Mary too.
    JimK likes this.
  16. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    New York Mary:
    JimK likes this.
  17. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I just re-stumbled upon this thread...cannot believe I forgot about Rick Petrone!
    I have the New York May LP satshed at my mom's...
  18. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    I have only the first gray album on vinyl, I'll have to dig it out, it's been awhile. I really dug that album!
  19. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I saw the MF band in 1983 or 84, and that band had both Bissonettes in it.

Steve Wiest, Dennis BiBlasio, the Bissonettes. Great bands.
    bass08053 likes this.
  20. BrotherMister

Nov 4, 2013
    I've dug out a few albums to see who was holding down the bass at that time but in the studio there seems to have been a handful of different guys. I may not have been able to answer the question but it's been great checking out all that great music again, some serious bass playing on those records.

I know Adrian Drover (he was the bone player in the band around that time and arranger on the M.F Horn albums. Wrote the charts for MacArthur Park, Spinning Wheel, Eli’s Coming and Hey Jude etc) and play with his son fairly often. I'll ask and see who was doing it back then.