Mayones Jabba 5 neck issue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by redmoe, Aug 14, 2020.

1. redmoe

redmoe Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Hey all

I recently picked up a Jabba 5 and noticed something odd when setting up the neck relief. I am worried the the neck is slightly twisted as with the 1st and last fret fretted and measuring at the 8th fret the b string side has about .5mm of relief (per their spec) and the g string side has no relief at all.

It can be setup to play ok but this does not seem right to me. I contacted Mayones and the were not much help.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. redmoe

redmoe Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Side image

Attached Files:

3. redmoe

redmoe Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Treble side

Attached Files:

4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

cool beans! set it up to play. good luck! :thumbsup:

5. I’ve had one 5 in the past, and another currently, that behave like this. They play fine, so I don’t worry. They both have relatively thin necks front to back. By baseball bat necks don’t behave this way.

My guess is that the B-side has more tension than the G-side. I chalk it up to physics.

I guess as long as the G-side isn’t humped while the B-side is bowed, it’s good.

Drzejzi likes this.
  6. redmoe

redmoe Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Thanks for the comparison information. I wonder if a set of balanced tension strings would help?

Clark W and DiscoRiceJ like this.
  7. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I believe @Turnaround could shed some light on this.

I do know that on dual truss rod necks(ie; Rickenbackers) it's easy to get "even" relief but I can't guarantee that that's the correct way to set a bass up.

8. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    It's a common condition and not one to be concerned about. The B string will tend to have a larger vibrational arc than the G string because of its mass, so having extra relief on the B string side is actually beneficial. Set the relief so that the G string plays cleanly and evenly its entire length and let the B side be what it is.

9. redmoe

redmoe Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Thanks guys I thought I was sold a dud. I have it within the Mayones recommended spec and is seems to play pretty well. I think my Spector USA bolt 5 string threw me off with the graphite rods I am sure it holds flatness better than a thin neck without rods.

10. One of my Warwicks neck looks just like the OP's and this made me feel alot better. Thank you!

Even though it still plays well, it was bothering me for a while haha

11. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Let it be, the pictures are VERY usefull.

12. redmoe

redmoe Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Going to throw some round core strings on it today to see if it helps level out with the lower tension

13. Any twist is very slight and shouldn’t create any problems. If you are playing it regularly you will probably unconsciously make a very small adjustment in your style to accommodate it without realizing it.

14. redmoe

redmoe Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2011
    The new strings did Not make much of a difference. I think my ocd is going to drive me to unload the bass pretty cheap. Really stinks as is is like new in every way but that dang neck.

15. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    I think every bass I have (which is a bunch) has more relief on the B / E than on the G. I don’t ever check the relief on the G string side because if I set up a bass using G string relief it’s going to be way out of whack.

16. redmoe

redmoe Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2011
    I agree with exception to my Spectors. I think the graphite rods in those keep the neck stiffer. What bugs me on this one is how extreme the difference is. 0.20 on the B and nothing on the G is pretty big. Am am use to something like 0.12 on the low side and maybe 0.06 on the high side.

17. redmoe

redmoe Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Actually I just noticed I get some relief at the 12th on the G. Definitely some kind of twist on this one.

18. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    Didn't you say that its plays just fine? Why offload it if it plays well?

19. redmoe

redmoe Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Obsessive nature on my part and really wanting a MTD 535 instead

20. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward! Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    Hit me up! I've got 800$ burning a hole in my pocket!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021