1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MB Fusion 500, or do I wait for the 800.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by creis2, Jun 4, 2012.

1. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    I have Don from LDS building me a neo 610 cab, I'm going to compliment it with a mini head.

I've tested the MB 500, I love it, but I see the 800 will be released sometime this year.

Would 300 extra watts be worth waiting (and paying for). I know GK heads are very loud for their wattage rating, has any MB500 owners experience lack of power?

2nd question!

When I buy my head, I know GK recently moved manufacturing back to the US. When ordering from RMC Audio, how do ensure I get a newer US made model?

2. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    I had the mbfusion 500 head a while back before our rehersal place caught fire. It was a great head and had all the power I needed. I think it would kill through a 610 cab. I wouldnt worry about any power shortage with that head.

3. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    From the little I've read, it'll still be at least a few months until the Fusion 800 comes to market. If you want the watts, why not do the MB800? Fusion's great, but so's the MB.

Don/LDS is super. Curious, what drivers are you using? If doing a tweeter, which one? What cosmetics are you going with?

4. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    What is the tonal difference between the two?

My main head is an Ashdown Klystron 500, it's got a nice tubey sound to it. The MB Fusion 500 has three preamp tubes. BUT I do go through a vt bass pedal.

I forget the drivers don is using. We decided to go with neo's, we went through my tonal goals and he told me what he's putting in, I just forget.

I'm going tweeterless and I'm going for the vintage fliptop look. He's making big and tall, a little smaller than an 810. I like BIG cabs but I don't like weight. Don estimates it to be around 75-80 lbs. He's been awesome to work with and if I knew how reasonable his prices were, I would have had him build for me years ago.

Is the MB800 a more solid head than the MB fusion 500?

5. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Haven't played a Fusion. From my admittedly limited readings of Fusion/MB comparisons, though, it seems like there are many more similarities than differences. A more solid head? No. They're both equally very solid. For a new unit, RMCAudio's MB800 price is the best I've seen.

Lots of Fusion lovers. Sure it's great, but if tubey is your goal, the GB Streamliner 900 should also be on your consideration list. Maybe you've already thought about it & ruled it out.

Guessing the speakers are Eminence; Delta Lite II 2510s or BassLite 2010s. But just a guess. Think the 2510s represent a better value.

And you're absolutely right about Don's sharp prices.

6. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    I would totally go for the GB, but it's out of my price range. Also, my Ashdown is my main head. I was going with a mini head for practice (don't like leaving too much stuff at the practice space) and a backup. I might go with the MB fusion. I mean, 800 watts is a lot. I see that as overkill unless i'm trying to power multiple cabs, am I wrong?

I can't remember the speakers Don told me about when we were discussing the cab. I want a mid focused tone, he recommended something that I've never heard of (I'm familiar with the 2510s and 2010s, so I doubt it's those). He said something about getting them from overseas? I dunno. I trust his judgement, but I should double check with him. It's good to know in case I blow a driver.

I don't need the head to get too tubey, the Ashdown does that fine, I just want the warmest one out of the two.

7. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    I have the MB Fusion. I tested every micro head I could lay my hands on before buying and it came out on top. GK sound plus tubes = winning combination. The 500 is plenty loud enough. Especially through a 6x10. Get it now rather than waiting.

Totally different animal to the GB Streamliner btw which is a more vintage sounding head. Only a GK gives you the GK growl.

8. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I would say yes.
    Generaly, multiple drivers make more SPL with less watts.
    I would think that an effecient 6x10 cabinet would make plenty of racket with 500 watts (assuming that is 500 watts at the cabinets' rated impedence).

9. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    If you do check in w/Don on your speakers, I'd be interested in knowing which ones he recommended & will be in your 610. Since you mentioned maybe "overseas," maybe a Faital Pro model. Anyway would be good info for me (& maybe others too) for future reference in possible builds.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If your can has a 4-ohm impedance (or close to it) and is reasonably efficient, then yes, 500 watts (GK rates 'em very honest, BTW) is going to be plenty, IME/IMHO. If it is an 8-ohm cab, though, you might very well enjoy the added heft of the MB800 or forthcoming MB Fusion 800. IME/IMHO, the MB500 and MB Fusion are more similar than different, and I'd expect this to hold true for the MB Fusion 800. To me, the main differences are that the Fusion is more harmonically interesting and the MB500/800 is a bit more solid and even through the mids. Both are great options in my book.

11. basszillla

basszillla Supporting Member

Pretty much what Tom has just said. . .
    i "test drove" the MB500, MB800, & the fusion at a music store. i liked the 500 - the 800 didnt seem that much better/louder, & more $$, The fusion had a nicer warmth without being muddy, but depends if it worth the extra $200 to you (or to me when i buy one)-it sounded nicer to me playing alone, but wonder how that may benefit or not in a stage volume w/full band mix? i tested them using a fender rumble 2x8" cab, since i use LDS cabs w/8's (2x8 & a 5x8)
    i'm not near as much of an expert as a lot of the other TB members, so these are just my opinions, based on my sampling of the products & what sounded good to me.