1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MB LM-III Listed on MusiciansFriend.com

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

2. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Valley of the Sun (AZ)
    Great - they can't even get input/output correct.

I'll have wait for your review ;)

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    What's with the yellow control knobs? A step in the wrong direction if you ask me.....which nobody did. ;)

4. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    I like the yellow knobs. I didn't at first, but they've grown on me. I want me a LM Tube though.

Edit: This price is awesome compared to the UK price. It's going to be about £599 over here. :(

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I actually dig it, especially on the Tube versions. It looks like the yellow knobs are for volume, and black knobs for tone control Nice design IMO. The Tube versions are the opposite, with yellow knobs for tone and black for volume.

Quite amazing that you have an upgraded unit with a slightly expanded feature set and its the same price as the original.

Looks like my LMTube800 is on the same schedule as the Musician's Friend site, which indicates the new stuff will be available May22nd. GC just called and said they estimate the first week of June for delivery. I guess that's not too bad... 5 weeks or so.

6. mat666

mat666

Apr 3, 2007
    montreal
    wished canada would use USD!! I'm waiting for the LMtube too

7. they could have done a headphone out on it.

and maybe added something more than another knob, eh?

8. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Uglier true, but you won't lose it in a dark club that's for sure. :smug:

9. Mastermold

The Jeff Berlin combos are shown as out for 93 days -- wonder if that means the new ones will be fitted with the LMIII.

10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Yes, on the website, all the combo's have been listed as upgraded, which I assume means that the power will be the LMIII. Nice!

The upgrades to the acoustic combo's look great also, with all those DB specific controls (phase and all that stuff).

11. Mastermold

Cool, that gives me a reason to wait a bit longer, let the wallet cool down (and my wife too!) :D

12. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Can't find any info on MF or GC sites.
    Sounds like GC can order from the store?
    Got to think that the price on Mkll's will start to fall as the lll's arrive. Wonder how low they can go, or what does GC actualy pay for the amp. Here's hoping they have giant warehouses full of them. :hyper:

(sorry for those trying to sell a mkll) :crying:

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

You're not paying attention. The did do more than add another knob.

14. what? colors? i'll have to re-read the rest of the posts. :ninja:

oh...and pre/post eq switch... ?

:bag:

i really liked the LMII i had, but the fact that there is no headphone out is one of the biggest things that made me get rid of it. i can see why this one is being released at the same price. it doesn't look like they really changed it at all.

15. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Now Im like the last hold out and the newest MB convert. Scored a slightly used F1 today at a rediculously low price, I feel. But that's for a new thread later but it was a music store, not GC.

But I read the MB site alot past couple days and in the FAQ a questione posed I believe of headphones use. IIRC, the reply was to turn the master off and use only the preamp for this. I assume this meant you can plug headphones into the 1/4" speaker out? Did I understand that correctly? Would that not serve a similar purpose for headphones use? I'll go back and read it agian but that was my take.

Oh and this F1 is so frikkin awesome thru my GB Neox 212T w/Skyline Jobo 5, also w/outboard Sadowsky pre but don't really need it, its in there already. Now Im hearing this bass like I hoped I would. Gotta try this head with my NV215, 410xlt, 210xlt (8&4) and headphones maybe??? Y'all tell me.

16. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Okay Ernie, spill it! How much did you pay for the F1? :)

17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Pre/Post switch, ground lift for the DI, DI level control, change in the EQ points are all changes. If you want other changes, you should buy the other new LM models.

Or if you want a headphone out, buy a practice combo.

18. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Don't make me say dude, it was just a very good deal, I felt. Damn good actually, I felt. But it aint cool to say cause there are some here for sale I dont want to start this lowball offers run on em. They're def worth whats being asked for them still. Once the new F500 comes out I may spill it.

But you force to tell some of my story here. I know that cat that works in the bass dept at a GC, least I thought I did. I've sat in for him and him for me in our blues/r&b bands when we get double booked. I go to a bi-weekly blues jam he hosts nearby, let's say we're well acquainted. He always says come see him at the store.

So I do and they have floor models F1, SD800, 2-LMII's, a buncha combos and a sh*tload of MB cabs. Posted sale price is not bad, standard GC, LMII is cheaper. The F1 sounds huge, then I try the LMII both thru this tiny 4 driver black cab, don't know what MB it was but sounds good. After trying both thru an assortment of MB cabs, I thought, gee, looks like I'll be taking the LMII instead, I sorta had a plan for the 1U size but the LMII caught my ears.

I asked him to pls give me a price for my Eden 550B and I play with each head while he's gone. After a spell, I felt I got alot more tonal varieties with the F1 than the LMII using the VLE/VLF, noticably to my ears. Well he came back with a pretty lowball offer, I felt. When I asked he would not budge on the F1 sale price and only had the floor model. Now, I realize the guy is trying to make a living, he's an older nice cat, not some part time kid making beer money, so any discount to me prolly bites into his commission. Still, I left saying let me just try to sell my amp instead.

Heading home I see the indy owned music store that is just across the fwy from GC. I've bought my GB Neox cabs and accessories there many times. They carry alota GB, Ampeg, Line 6, etc. I walk in and tell the counter dude what will you offer me for this Eden while I go look at the GB amps. They had a Shuttle 6, Max 12 and DAMN! a used a F1 sitting atop some cab off in the corner priced so low (IMO), I'm stunned.

THe owner comes to me and asks what I want for the Eden, I tell him he says yeah I can do that but for the Max 12, pricey little mother. I try that head, then the F1 thru Uber cabs. The Max 12 sounds very nice actually but again, pricey for this day, was not my plan to drop about a grand today on a amp. He tells me, one of his employees traded the F1 in on a big rig recently, he's just trying to sell it off quick.

We talk awhile, turns out my blues band has used his drummer before when ours was out. Then I realize who he is, we've been in band jams, outdoor festival gigs where both our bands gigged. I just never met him face to face before today. I tell him that I prefer the F1, but he will only straight trade for my Eden. I felt, dang, I had change coming from his other offer for my Eden. But he just offers his F1 for my Eden, straight.

So, I jam the Uber cab with some other heads thinking about it. Then I tell him, Hey Jim, can I just buy this F1 from you and I'll keep my Eden. He says sure, then he knocks another $50 bucks off the used sticker price. Gulp, really more discount? I pay him, he gives me cool T-shirt, offers me some good discounts on either Uber cab down the road.
    :D Someone Pinch Me! :eek:

I stick the Eden back inside the bag, I stick the F1 into the outside pocket of the Eden bag, we all laugh at that. I walk out beaming like an idiot into a nice sunny day.

I felt it was a very good price, there satisfied, I am. :cool:

19. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Dang, Ernie you tell a good story!

I've only heard the F1 at a low volume in a crowded store. I have a LMII and really like it, however the F1 is *that much* smaller and lighter. I also prefer that it has two speakon outs while the LMII just has the one. From what I heard, in those less than ideal conditions, the F1 does sound at least somewhat similar to the LMII.

Then again, there is all this new MB stuff coming out too. :cool:

20. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    More importantly, the F500 is also listed at musicians friend. 93 days out!