1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MB800: Hissy or Not

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass-4-God, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Bass-4-God

Bass-4-God

Feb 19, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I was talking with Jason over at GK this morning talking aboubt wheather the MB800 has a hiss to it or not. He says that they a pretty quiet amps , however there are many other reasons why a someone could experience some louder than normal transient noises. Can anyone share their experinces with the MB800 as far as any hiss or fan noise is concerned, or is your head dead quiet.

2. Bass-4-God

Bass-4-God

Feb 19, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Where are all my MB800 users?

3. husky123

husky123 Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Leesburg, VA
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses and Bergantino Audio Systems
    Mine's as quiet as can be. Just sits up there looking all diminutive but all the while waiting to punch you square in the balls.

4. bkbass2000

bkbass2000 Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Asheville NC
    I posted a similar question up in the MB800 thread and haven't heard back yet. Mine is hissy, even with the mute on it is still a lot more noisy than my Shuttlemax. It do like the amp alot though, just want to get the best one possible for my money. I have heard some that say theirs is dead quiet and some that say it's hissy. It might not bother some people, but it kind of bothers me. Still waiting on a response from GK on this. I think mine is going back to exchange for another one, hopefully a dead quiet one. We'll see how that goes.

5. husky123

Jul 6, 2006
    Leesburg, VA
    Well after switching it on I need to amend my statement of "dead" quiet. I mean, it's quiet but just not totally silent. Do you run your treble past say....noon?

6. Bass-4-God

Bass-4-God

Feb 19, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Well are we talking about transient noises or EQ adjustments, like to much treble.

7. bkbass2000

Jan 17, 2011
    Asheville NC
    Same bass, cable, cab (genz neox212), the GK has about twice the volume of hiss with the mute engaged as the shuttlemax has with its mute off. Flip the mute off on the GK ( with treble set about 11:00) and there is even more. It's probably not gonna be noticeable in a gig setting, but this coupled with a few more smaller QC issues made me decide I'm going to grab another one. Great sounding amp though, cant wait to find a keeper.

8. bkbass2000

Jan 17, 2011
    Asheville NC
    And BTW, thanks Husky for all of your comments and reviews of this little amp. They helped me alot while I was deciding to pull the trigger. You were right on, this thing is awesome!

9. Just received, and sent back, an MB800 yesterday. Waaaay too much hiss for me, even with very moderate treble settings. Otherwise, a nice amp.

With the variance that people are finding with this issue in these amps it sounds to me like this is a QC issue for GK to sort out.

10. husky123

Jul 6, 2006
    Leesburg, VA
    No problem.:D

11. bkbass2000

Jan 17, 2011
    Asheville NC
    Mine is going back today. Hope to have better luck with the next one,

12. I tried two MB200's and gave up due to the hiss level. I do have to wonder how much variance there is in the level of hiss rather than variance in people's expectations and individual perceptions. I felt a part of it was a matter of a sound that once heard cannot be unheard.

There's also the matter of different uses. At least with the MB200, I was intent on setting it up as a semi-permanent "bedroom" practice amp. That made the hiss (once I was focused on it) intolerable. If it had been as a primary gigging amp, that probably would have changed how I viewed it.

Good luck to you guys in getting good ones.

13. Bass-4-God

Bass-4-God

Feb 19, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Maybe Mr. Gallien himself will get in on this one. It'll would be nice to hear his repsonse.

14. I doubt it - besides the GK MB800 article in BGM is good, and if there was any bad hiss you can bet it would be noted.

Checkout page #66 ~
    http://vpub.boyd-printing.com/publication/?i=118550&pre=1

15. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

Tried two different 500's, plus a 200 and an 800 during my shopping spree. Was on the lookout for noises, didn't find any. Mixture of Chinese and US production.

My 800 hisses a touch louder than my Genz Sl900 when cranked, at equal levels. But only a touch.

The Genz does win on fan noise. The fans on the G-K are just loud enough to be a distraction in a livingroom setting, if they spool up while the amp is idle.

16. husky123

Jul 6, 2006
    Leesburg, VA
    Big snakes and big amps hiss more than little ones. Just sayin'...

17. gregbackstrom

gregbackstrom Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    I'd consider my MB800 to be hiss-free, and I'm sensitive to hiss. I sold my Mesa Carbine M6 almost immediately after buying it---the hiss was a big part of that decision.

18. Really?

If a fan runs to much it will bring in a lot of dust which is not good for the electronics. For this reason GK MB amplifiers are enclosed in a 100 percent aluminum chassis which conducts the heat out of the enclosure very well. That’s why the unit may feel warm when you work it hard. An aluminum chassis is much more expensive than steel but is much lighter and provides this heat sink function. So the fan will not turn on under normal operations. It’s only there for the very hot club or outdoor gig where the heat is unbearable for you and the amp.

19. bkbass2000

Jan 17, 2011
    Asheville NC
    Interesting. In the short time I had mine, the fans would kick on every 10 minutes or so in my climate controlled practice room at low bedroom volume. This makes me glad I'm exchanging it for another.