1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MBrace users - what stand do you use with it?

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG] - NEW!' started by pcake, Nov 9, 2018.

1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    since i am unable to play some of my basses due to their weight and my shoulder issues, it's time to try the mbrace. since it mounts on a mic stand, i'm wondering what mic stand you're using and whether it's working out well with the mbrace and your basses.

considering it'll be holding my basses, steadiness is obviously of primary importance.

2. dtripoli and Rock Salad like this.
  3. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    thanks - i have a tripod stand, but assumed it wouldn't be stable enough. apparently i was, once again, wrong.

4. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    <voice = Lurch>You rang?</voice>
    The Mbrace will work with a regular tripod mic stand and I used it that way for years, but it wasn't as stable as I would have liked. Never really had a problem, but...
    When that stand died I set out to find a Really Sturdy Stand.
    I found this from Pyle and it's really solid. Color me a happy camper.
    https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Heavy-Duty-Microphone-Stand/dp/B00SVRLPYY

One caveat (just remembered) - it's actually a bit too tall to work properly. I took a hacksaw and cut down the bottom tube (I may have cut down the top tube too - I don't recall now).
    It was really simple to do.

S-Bigbottom and pcake like this.
  5. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    thank you very much for the product recommendation and the cutting down the tube suggestion. i'll order the pyle when i order the mbrace and my husband can easily cut down the tube to fit my 5' 3" self :)

S-Bigbottom and kesslari like this.
  6. Rock Salad

Rock Salad

Jun 30, 2018
    Tulsa, Ok. USA
    Have you tried those around the waist belt straps? Didn't do the trick?

pcake likes this.
  7. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i hadn't realized it till i was considering the belt strap, but since i injured my shoulders, i've played with my basses above my waist due to comfort issues, so i'm trying the mbrace first.

dralionux, S-Bigbottom and Rock Salad like this.
  8. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i bought it, but you may have longer legs than i. we were going to cut down the tube, but i realized that those tripod legs are almost impossible to work around for me, so amazon gracefully let me return it with no shipping fees.

so i need to figure out a stand that either has tripod legs that lie flat against the ground like this one
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...works-gfw-mic-2020-tripod-mic-stand-with-boom
    which would also allow me to weight the legs near the body if need be. or at least legs that i don't have to stand around to play...

9. I'd like to use a tripod stand for my heavy slab bass G&L ASAT but I move around too much when playing. Nothing choreographed I just bounce, sway and bob my head and legs like a chicken walk. Besides I'll deal with that when I am officially retired from my non-musical day job. Oh wait, never mind, (In my best Emily Latella voice) I did retire at 62 1/2 years old, but return to work 9 months later.
    So never mind, I'm 66 y.o. now and still bouncing like a half manic musician. I love my G&L but use my Fender Jazz for woodshedding and as my back up bass. The Jazz is lighter, slightly thinner neck, contoured body but needs some minor surgery, replace scratchy pots, intonate the bridge correctly and keep her dust free. It's always sitting out on a guitar stand and within hands reach. I'll get inspired to play at anytime time the mood strikes me or suddenly find a need to play along to commercials in order to keep my ear trained. Truth be known, Ive plagiarized more than one commercial bass line I found interesting.
    It perfectly acceptable and legal because I get the senior discount.

ASAT w Sig. ASAT 2.
    Notice Leo Fenders Signature on the body...........................Back Up Jazz Bass
    just above the Neck at body, He was sued and had to stop
    using his own name after barely 2 years,
    Now all G&Ls say on the headstock,
    "Guitars by Leo" and of course all the other info like G&L,
    Type of bass, and perhaps serial number

pcake likes this.