1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MC5

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think when it comes to ROCK, they may very well be the best thing out there. The whole time I listen to them, I want to jump out of my skin. Pure rock fury indeed. Just seriously amazing kick your ass music.

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Never listened to them.

3. 60's rock!

4. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    MC5 are amazing.

I have many fond memories listening to them on viynl with my father!

It's almost like proto-punk of sorts.

Glad you enjoy them too... not a very well known band.

Peace

-Benny

5. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I was fortunate enough to see the survivors perform as MC5/DKT a few years back with Marshall Crenshaw and they were amazing and as powerful as ever.

6. Wayne Kramer has some really fine solo albums out there too. Great player.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    It's almost 40 years since I brought that album home.:eek: Nice to see they are still making a impact.

8. For years and years I've seen articles where a current band that I like will name-drop the MC5 as an influence, but I'd never actually heard any of their music. But that's what's so cool about the Internet -- after seeing this thread I just spent the last 30 minutes checking out MC5 on YouTube, Wikipedia and iTunes. I liked what I saw. :cool:

Here are a few links for anyone who might be interested, hard to believe some of this stuff is almost 40 years old!

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Yeah, I heard his solo stuff is awesome. I'll have to look into it.

10. Cactusgrant

Cactusgrant

Jul 27, 2006
    MC5 are scary good, well worth checking out

11. hoosierdad

hoosierdad

Sep 1, 2003
    Indiana
    I bought 'Kick Out the Jams' in 1969 - and the album is sitting on the book shelf in my office tonight.

12. i got into the MC5 after listening to RATM's cover of kick out the jams and really got into them--they really rock!

13. j. lerie

j. lerie

May 24, 2007
    That was one of the 1st records I bought in the 70's. I've seen a few of his solo projects. He did an all Mc5 set with the Street Walkin Cheetas. That was wild! I would have loved to see him with the Pink Faries.

14. AWESOME BAND! pure rock fury is a great way to describe them. check out their dvd. i think it's called "a true testimonial." incredible footage of them at the height of their powers, and current interviews as well. for anyone who was lucky enough to see them back in the day i'm sure it was a life-changing experience.