McBride or Patitucci?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Who do you like better, and why? They both play upright, but, they both also play electric. I like them both about equally. I think John's a bit more melodic, while Christian is a bit more technical.
    Also, if you've heard both of their latest albums, do you think they're similar?

McBride scares me on fretless electric.

How about you?

Mike J.
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Any song suggestions that display McBride's talent?
  3. pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I had the pleasure of meeting and seeing McBride up close and personal at a bass conference my son attended two years ago. (My son took a master class with McBride.) I found him (McBride) to be polite, if not overly chatty. Christian left a roomful of 'world class' bass players, including the likes of Rufus Reid, Jerry Jemmott and Richard Davis gasping for air after an impromptu jam session he put on for the clinicians and students.

I'm not very familiar with John's playing. However, I have tickets to see Wayne Shorter and John is playing in Wayne's band. Funny thing is the last time I saw Wayne it was in Chicago around 1979 with Weather Report and it seems to me he had a pretty good bass player then too.
  4. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Pattitucci has his own thing happening too.
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    IMHO, it's almost as if both are heading in 'opposite directions'(?).
    Patitucci's most recent recordings reflect an almost totally acoustic/Latin vibe.
    Caveat: I haven't heard his newest, Communion, yet.

McBride's first couple solo disc were totally acoustic in a Hard Bop/Post Bop vibe. In fact, I knew McBride also played electric(ie 'gadget' bass)...the first time I actually saw, with my own eyes, was a PBS Jacksonville Jazz Fest video. He ripped on a natural wood Fender Jazz w/ Joshua Redman.
    Anyway, McBride's last solo discs, IMO, are leaning a little more towards 'mainstream' Jazz/Funk...& with more electric bass than JP's most recent solo cds.

I like BOTH; both, IMO, are from the same school...they have both obviously listened to a bunch of diverse material(Jazz to Funk to Latin to R&B to Rock to Pop etc).
  6. Brad, the only one of Christian's CDs I have right now is his latest one, Sci-fi. I have to say that it took a few times listening to it, but, now it's always in my CD player. It's a mixture of dark, smokey Route 66 type Jazz, and an offspring of both Return to Forever, and Weather Report, but, then again, it looks like the milkman's baby. If you have it, or buy it soon, check out: Uhura's Moment Returned, Walking on the Moon, and Havona, the track on which he does some Stanley Clarke type hundred mile an hour runs up and down the neck of his upright. This CD is like a hard stick of butter; give it a while to melt. It's so good. I'm definitely going to buy a few more of his CDs soon.

Also, on The Jazz Channel on my cable system, they keep showing this impromtu concert he did for them, and whenever they show it, I have no blank tapes in the house. On it, he goes absolutely crazy on a black Sadowsky(?) with a maple neck. I don't remember the names of those songs, but, he's so fast, and so melodic. When I find anymore, (I'm sure I will) I'll let you know. I really like Patitucci, but, Mr. McBride's coming on strong.

Mike J. :cool:
  7. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's like apples and oranges, but in terms of technical ability, I'd say McBride's acoustic arco displays more facility than Patitucci's. Maybe that's just because I've heard more of it.

On electric, though, Patitucci has the clear edge. McBride is more of a straightforward groover on the slab.
  8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Thanks Mike and Jim. I've heard Havona (homage to Jaco on upright) and saw him play electric with Joshua. Maybe I'm getting jaded in my old age... it just takes a lot these days to knock my socks off;)
  9. I dunno, but I would have to say that JP is pretty damn solid and facile with the bow. I would check out The Heart of the Bass for an idea of his arco chops. However, hearing a track or two off of The Philadelphia Experiment opened my eyes to CM's arco wizardry. No clear-cut winner on this one, but both are pretty terrifying, IMHO.

Your post kinda alluded to the important distinction on the electric - technique vs. groove. They can both burn and groove with the best of them, but I guess the clear edge would only be based on what kind of band and what kind of bassist you want. Although I've been a huge Patitucci fan from the start, I would have a tough time calling anyone before Christian McBride!

If that were the hardest decision I had to make, I would be one seriously lucky bandleader! :D
  10. I saw Christian McBride in concert with his band about two years ago, and it was positively frightening. His facility and taste on both upright and electric is just amazing.
    Mike J.: I've seen that show on the Jazz channel. The black fretless is a Pensa-Suhr with a maple board. You know what ticks me off about that show? At the end, they cut it off as he's doing his James Brown dance moves, but before they actually get to the song, which is "Brown Funk" (For Ray), on which he just grooves on the 5-string.
    Brad: For a great example or two of his fretless playing, check out the album "Family Affair".. the tracks "..Or So You Thought" and "Wayne's World." I bought "Sci-Fi" but I haven't really listened to it much.
  11. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I have Christian McBride's lastest and I think his comp skills are really good, but his solo stuff didn'
    t really do a lot for me. I would have expected a lot better from him with all of the hype. For those that have the disc, check out either the 1st or 2nd cut, he sort of rolls around in his solo, throws in some flash, but it doesn't sound that musical to my ears, especially in light of the tune that he's supposedly soloing to.
  12. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    They are both awsome, but I like Christians groove and Johns writing and melodic abilities. I think they are equally technically proficient however. They are two of the heavy weights among the cream crop of our instruments.
  13. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Another 'young' guy in their league(also doubles on URB & 'gadget')-
    Avashai Cohen
    ...his first solo album, Adama, is happenin'.
  14. In the last couple of days, I listened to John P's "Communion," about 3 or 4 more times to get it more into my subconcious. Now I feel this album is just a really good jazz album. John's playing is there, you can tell it's him, but, I think maybe he wanted to melt into the music on this one, and not show off. Maybe that's musical maturity. :cool:

Mike J.
  15. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    He's actually a triple threat. Latest, "Unity," has him on piano for the most part.
  16. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I haven't heard a lot of McBride's stuff, so i won't judge him.

About a week ago i went to a JP master class at the UW and it was awesome (it was free, too). He played in this room with a tiny little stage (more of a 6 inch platform). I was in the second row. I like JP's more recent stuff more than his stuff in the 80's, but that is still awesome.