Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

McCartney & Entwistle

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by xsogol, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Hi All,

I've been getting more and more into both Paul McCartney and John Entwistle lately and I have a question for all of you who love these two greats....

What are your top 10 favorite songs (and why if you wish) that each plays on (including solo careers if you wish) and must have albums that showcase their skills? Thanks everyone!!! :help:

2. My favorite McCartney tune is "Silly Love Songs". Great bass line with great tone.

My favorite Entwistle tune is "The Real Me". Sounds like the whole bass line was done "on the fly". Also, great tone.

3. mariner

mariner

Feb 18, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    What he said...

Both songs I would have called out.

4. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    John:

Substitute (1966 single A-side)
    Bargain (Who's Next)
    I've Had Enough (Quadrophenia)
    Dr. Jimmy (Quadrophenia)
    The Real Me (Quadrophenia)
    Success Story (The Who By Numbers)
    Boris The Spider (A Quick One)
    You Better You Bet (Face Dances)
    Going Mobile (Who's Next)
    Shakin' All Over (Live At Leeds)

Paul:

Paperback Writer (1966 Single A-side)
    Rain (1966 Single B-side)
    Taxman (Revolver)
    Getting Better (Sgt. Pepper)
    Dear Prudence (The Beatles)
    Oh Darling (Abbey Road)
    And Your Bird Can Sing (Revolver)
    Helter Skelter (The Beatles)
    Come Together (Abbey Road)
    Here Comes The Sun (Abbey Road)

5. ERMAL

ERMAL

Jun 20, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    I would concur with all of the above selections and also add "Baby You're a Rich Man" from the Magical Mystery Tour album - great in your face, flatwound Ric tone.

6. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Good lists so far -

For McCartney I would add

Everybody's got Something to Hide & Helter Skelter (white album)
    A Little Help From my Friends (Sgt. Pepper)

For the E-man:

Punk vs. the Godfather (Quadrophenia)
    Armenia, City in the Sky (Who Sell Out)
    Happy Jack (you gotta love that tone)

7. With my flame-proof shield up, I can't say anything for Sir Paul since I'm really not into his playing or writing.

John Entwistle, one of my all time favorites, brings to mind a few stand out songs:

The Real Me - Quadrophenia
    Heaven and Hell - Live at Leeds
    Amazing Journey / Sparks - Live at Leeds
    My Generation - The "live" version from "The Kids Are Alright" soundtrack.
    Bargain - Who's Next
    Won't Get Fooled Again - Who's Next
    Overture - Tommy

Ahh, there are so many more...

Paul Mac

8. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    whaaaaat?? no-one's said My Generation yet??? a 1965 bass solo that changed rock'n'roll bass forever!

I like Young Man Blues from Live at Leeds
    Eyesight to the Blind from the Tommy film soundtrack
    The Real Me (re-recorded bass on the Quadrophenia soundtrack... far more gnarly and nadsier than the 1973 album version)
    in the Kids are Alright film,,, the live version of Won't Get Fooled Again.. his bass sound on that is incredible.. there's like a bit where he does a slide down the frets at the end of one of the phrases and I don't know how he gets that sound but it goes "DD-DDR-RR-RR-RRR-RRRRR" like a cross between a plane taking off and someone being violently sick... it's incredible!!

9. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Truly anything from Paul. Same for John.

One of my favorite Entwistle tracks is "Call Me Lightnin'".

10. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    For McCartney, I'd add "Something" (from "Abbey Road). Also "Think for Yourself", "Nowhere Man" and "Michelle" from "Rubber Soul." And "Penny Lane" and "All You Need is Love" from "Magical Mystery Tour." And "Lucy in the Sky", "Getter Better", "Fixing a Hole", "Lovely Rita" and "With a Little Help From My Friends" from Sgt. Pepper.
    Actually, let's keep this simple. Listen to every Beatles album from "Rubber Soul" through to the end.
    Oh yeah, what about "All My Loving"-- can't miss that one. And "Rain", of course.
    And "Veronica" from Elvis Costello's "Spike."
    And... and...
    [here's where I go wandering off, muttering to myself]

11. Mr Entwistle's album, 'Too Late The Hero'.
    Astonishing Alembic tones throughout, even if the album itself is quite dated.

12. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Not a big Ox fan, but Sir Paul has oodles. Just get everything they did from rubber soul onwards (and check out day tripper, my personal favorite beatles tune). God, favs? Hmm:

Come together
    Maxwell's Silver Hammer
    I want you (she's so heavy)
    Drive My Car
    Taxman
    Paperback Writer
    Day Tripper :)bassist:)
    With a little help from my friends
    and the White Album, theiir masterpiece in my opinion.

13. +1. Great bass, crappy album. I've owned the vinyl version since about '81(?).

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Call me krazy-
    ...I kinda think McCartney sounds 'a little' like Entwistle on "Hey Bulldog".

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    One more comment-
    Seeing Entwistle live(on TV) in 2001 made me think "Wow, here's a '60s Rocker that has actually got better over the years".

Most, if still even playing, seem about the same or even worse today vs. in their prime.

Just one man's opinion.
    ;)

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

17. Let's not forget the bass-playing wizardry on “Dreaming From the Waste” off of “The Who By Numbers. The extended versions of “The Who By Numbers" have additional tracks with a live version “Dreaming From the Waste” that will knock your socks off!!

18. zack01

zack01

Aug 3, 2002
    I saw Paul play Helter Skelter at the Grammys a cpl of weeks ago. Did he play another bass line than he use to on Helter skelter then?I looked like he did some fancy stuff on that on the grammys...anyone knows?

19. Someone already mentioned "Veronica" from Elvis Costello's Spike. I'd just like to add "...This Town..." from the same album. It's got a great bass hook that adds so much to the song, similar to "Something."