Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

McCartney on drugs

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Jun 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What did you expect?`

George Martin offering milk and cookies during recording breaks? :p

3. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    If you're that offended by musicians using drugs, you're going to have to burn a lot of classic albums! :D ;)

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :meh: I can't figure if your post is sarcastic or not....

How could someone NOT think/know the Beatles did drugs???

5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Hehe, that was my attempt at sarcasm. The Beatles were definitely the first big "drug band". Lennon was a fiend, but I love the guy...

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Beatles did drugs? Say it ain't so!:bawl:

Next thing you know, somebody is going to tell me that Miles Davis was on acid when he recorded Bitches Brew or that Jaco had a coke problem.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :)

8. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    haha. I just thought it was funny to hear him talk about it after so long, that's all.

9. So, you obviously haven't seen/heard the Bill Hicks (brilliant, dark humoured US comedian who died in 1994, the guy was a 'genius') rant about why drugs are good then?

His line is basically "So if you think drugs are bad, then go and burn your record collection. Because a lot of those guys were real ****ing high when they made those recordings! They had scrape Ringo off the ceiling on Yellow Submarine "Hey John, help me get Ringo down he's got some great song about a yello somethjing or other..."

Don't sound so surprised dude! It STILL HAPPENS!!!!

10. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Psychedelic Drugs and Rock'n'Roll -- two great tastes that taste great together. :eek: ;) :D

Where would we all be w/o that fatal J shared by Dylan and The Fabs in NYC, 1965? Pulling root-four-fives out of Pat Boone's tuckus, is where...

Barry Miles' Many Years From Now is a very entertaining and informative read, for more info on the subject. A great version of the Beatles story, which has been mythologized so much already, with lots of extended first-person narratives/interviews/quotes from the people who were there.

A nice Paul-oriented spin on this one, rather than the usual "John was the Beatles" spin that most other books I've read.

11. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    There are Legions of Musicians who were doing Drugs
    and making better music then Straights.

Do Drugs make a better musician?

I would argue yes.

Drug Days are Rock n' Roll Daze.

Name me a clean Musician and chances are I can name
    a doped up Musician who is as good or better.

Well, you may not believe it, but 'back-in-the-day' drugs
    were used to stimulate creativity and expand your mind.

Every musician I knew in the '70's, 80's, and early 90's did drugs.

And these guys were kick ass musicians and had a lot of fun.

These days, I find that bands don't do drugs hardly at all.
    They are boring, not nearly as creative as bands in the past.

A majority of band members these days seem to be more
    hyper-critical, stuck up, and think they are more creative
    and talented, but they are not compared to the druggy
    bands of the past.

Druggy Bands didn't ever get G.A.S.
    There wasn't any Gear-Mongering.
    Nobody had more then 2 or 3 guitars max.
    Most only had one instrument.
    Why?
    Had to spend money on drugs.
    Many more chicks around.

No smoking in Bars! BAH!
    Totally ruined the Band Scene in CA when that one went through.

Paul McCartney is a perfect example: the fewer drugs he does,
    the worse his musicial output becomes.

12. Don't get started there Finger Blister! The Hicks routine is so pertinent for that very point

You don't have to be high to ake good music - but a lot of dude, who were really high, made some great music.

Dare I even mention the amount of drugs JAZZ musicians do?! I have heard an equal amount of tails of the most sordid kind (yeah we all know about Miles and Mingus and not fogetting Chet and Charlie Parker!) - but I'm afraid to say these are stories about musicians who are around today! I have heard tell of many, many top players - thankfully NOT Wooten or Willis et al (or any bassists for that matter) - who take excesive amounts of mainly coke - times haven't changed that much really.

Anyway, that's enough on the subject from me.

peace

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Me too, lesfor. I guess he figures it's "safe" now.

Really, it was the Byrds, notably Roger McGuinn, who turned them on to LSD and the impact that drug had on their music, (although they had unknowingly taken it once before at a dentist's party). McGuinn started messing with acid in `61 when it was still legal. The Beatles, later on, would go to Byrds recording sessions because they admired the band so much, and partied with them.
    At one acid get-together, "Easy Rider" actor, Peter Fonda, a friend of the Byrds, kept saying, "I know what it's like to be dead." John Lennon later incorporated those words into the lyrics of "She Said."

Some good things came of that experience, in terms of expanding their musical expression. For one, the Byrds turned the Beatles on to Ravi Shankar and the sitar, whom the Beatles had never heard of before.

[​IMG]

Books about the Byrds by Bud Scoppa and Jim Rogan detail the influence of the Byrds on the Beatles quite well.

14. Really? Harrison always said that it was his exposure to the sitar after seeing an extra in the Help movie play one which led him to the instrument and, in turn, Ravi Shankar.

If memory serves, George played sitar on "Norwegian Wood" before the Byrds even hit the radar screen.

15. jbass

jbass

Mar 22, 2004

I agree. But nowadays, its seems pretty clear that not only musical or artistic creativity can be stimulated and expanded by drugs, but violence and perversion as well.

16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I don't feel drugs or stimulants make you play better. If a person is a great musician, they will make great music, whether it is created while sober, or messed up on drugs.

On a trip a few weeks ago, I went to a GC while fairly drunk and really stoned. I had to struggle to play simple stuff and there definitely wasn't any creativity brought on by that. I learned that day that if I were ever going to play live, I would be completely sober to insure a better performance

17. I think the most interesting thing about that article was this:

Compare that with the Snopes page about Lucy in the Sky. John always maintained that the song really was from Julian's picture.

18. This is the first time ANYWHERE I've ever heard a positive acknowlegement of that. (besides hyper-religious nutballs trying to get kids to hate Lennon or hyper-anti-rock/drug people trying to "discredit" the Beatles)

Have you seen that scene from Anthology where some reporter is interviewing McCartney in his backyard around 67? Where he's like 'you asked me a question, I told you the truth, now it's up to you if you want to put that out and have all the kids say 'ah, but Paul does it'...'

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    :eek:

20. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Drugs! No! Really?
    Gosh I thought all that Tangerine trees and Marmalade sky stuff was just really cool creativity.
    I also heard someone say that George Michael is gay. You don't think that could be true do you. :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.