McCartney playing fretless in "So Bad"?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Chrisk-K, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Paul had a a fretless Rickenbacker that he used several tracks on Back to the Egg. It's very obvious in this song, especially around the 2:17 mark.

That being said, I don't think "So Bad" was played on a fretless bass.

- Steve

bobyoung53 and drumvsbass like this.
  2. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    If you watch the original video starting at 1:50, you can see that the bass line was covered by Ringo and Paul really didn't play bass at all.

bobyoung53 and IamGroot like this.
  3. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    Even when she sort of messed up the simplest keyboard solo, Linda looks lovely :)

4. deste

deste

Sep 14, 2009
    Bologna, Italy, Europe
    Endorsing Artist: GullanskyLab pickups
    No fretless to me: I may be wrong, but the glissandos let hear the semitone intervals caused by the frets.
    A sort of "fretless look-a-like", with some chorus.

And I'd like to hear Sir Paul on double bass, not just a chorus of Heartbreak Hotel. I wouldn't be surprised if he could play it very well...

(disclaimer: I'm not a fan of his, not at all; but I tribute him an incredible respect for what he did, for many songs he composed in the Beatles era, for his guitar, drums and bass playing)

bobyoung53 likes this.
  5. fabubass

fabubass

Jan 13, 2006
    Video shows him playing Ric, could be, with Flats and it is Paul, It is so his style, right from the little run he does in the beginning

6. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    Well, back when it was on the pop charts, I played "So Bad" on fretless. I also played "Something" on fretless, but not when it was on the charts.

7. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    McCartney demonstrating Bill Black’s actual DB used on the original Elvis track(s) is pretty cool, regardless of whether or not he could do a 3 hour show on it.

woodyng2 likes this.
  8. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey

Paul plays Bill Black's upright on this song (though Linda is "playing" it in the video).

OldDog52 likes this.
  9. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    Here is the known photo of Paul's fretless Rickenbacker, and it's not a good shot. It can be seen over his left shoulder. This is from the Back to the Egg sessions.

d977ef8f702dbbad98158be5006b8be9.jpg

bobyoung53 and Steve Boisen like this.
  10. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    He's not using it in the video, but the fretless Ric was also used to record this song. This video also reveals this lineup of Wings to be a bunch of goofball camera-hams.

woodyng2 and Steve Boisen like this.
  11. tommy cass

tommy cass Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2016
    da3629a001ed6420eaeece90ded6c100--bass-guitars-classic-rock.jpg
    here his fretless Rick

12. c10

c10

Apr 10, 2005
    Naperville, IL
    Just found a "Tug of War" sessions boot on Youtube, it seems like "Take It Away" is fretless (only took me 40 odd years to notice). Worth a listen, several takes of most songs...

woodyng2 likes this.

13. It sounds like the bridge pickup to me with maybe a little neck mixed it (what's the 'rear' pickup?)

14. I hear nothing on this song to suggest it's a fretless bass, no one has intonation THAT good. He does own a ric fretless though.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021