McCartney strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Apr 26, 2001.

1. patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    What strings did Paul McCartney use during his time in the Beatles, in particualr the strings he used on 'Come Together'
  2. I have been told by many people that he used Pyramid Flatwounds ($!!!!), but i'm not 100% sure
  3. Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    Pyramid Flats and on the Abbey Road album he used a Jazz with Pyramids alot.
  4. not only abbey road...some tracks on the white album have a 6 string fender on em...
  5. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    I run the Pyramids on my Ric, very 60ish. I love um.
  6. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I once e-mailed Rotosound for some information about their "tru-bass" black nylon flatwounds, and they mentioned that Paul McCartney had used them a lot during the late '60s.

7. Tomi

Dec 4, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    Wow, David I didn't know that! :)
    I am using those Rotosound 88s on my fretless and they are very smooth, having an acustic-like, dark tone. I have only one problem with the G string, which is too fat for the nut (.065). :(
  8. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I've been tempted to try these strings myself, but have been put off by the heavy gauges - the lightest G string you can get in this style is .50.

If you want to hear more of the Tru-Bass sound, check out some songs with Herbie Flowers on. He was the main bassist on Lou Reed's 'Transformer' - 'Walk On The Wild Side'? That's him! He has only ever used Tru-Bass strings, and his current set has been on his bass for six years!

9. Tomi

Dec 4, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    Thanks David, I gonna listen that.
    Six years, wow! That is really Jamerson style! :D
    BTW, did Jamerson use Labella "deep talkin'" strings? Are they tapewound and have similar sound with Roto88?
  10. perhaps he used fence wire on his Hofner, thats what they felt like to me the last time i played a 63'

sorry old timers
  11. TCollins

Apr 4, 2000
    I have read on the RotoSound site that Mac used the black nylon tapewound...I tried them on my 4003 Rickenbacker & really enjoyed the sound and feel!

I read somewhere that someone asked him what kind of strings he used and replied something to the effect, "The bright, shiny silver ones!!" --How USELESS to us bass players!!! His comments are "DRUNKEN" sometimes!!!
  12. An interesting subject,
    I am of the opinion that Sir Paul used Pyramids on his Hofner. (OEM on Hofners) Not sure what was used on the Rick.
    Possibly Rickenbacker would know what was used as original strings at the time, i.e. mid 60s.
    I am sure strings were changed at one time or another and it's anyones guess what was used.
    I feel a lot of the sound we hear on the recordings were colored to his taste, thus making it difficult to hear the pure sounds of the instruments or the characteristics of the strings etc.
    He has admitted on many occasions, others keep his instruments in shape and that he is not concerned with how they work, only that they do work.
    I guess the creative mind he has is not focused on the technical side.
    Regarding,"Come together", sounds like the Hofner, (with flats) to my ears.
    That said, It also sounds like my Rick bass.
    Go figure !
  13. Ok, i have carefully examined the "Get Back" video and yes, McCartney appears to be playing some sort of black strings. His tone is similar to Lou Reed's bassist. Better look into them.
  14. I`m going to invade this thread with another McCartney/String question(hope you all don`t mind).Yesterday I heard "Happy Birthday" on the radio.Great bassline and a deep thumpy sound unlike any I have heard before.I want to venutre a guess and say he was using flats?The bass was super deep it was crazy!

Thanks for any light you can shed on this for me!

15. Yea,
    The Pyramid flats with my 4001v63 nails the sound.
  16. Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    I've read that McCartney had a studio trick to help get that deep thump. He would use an bass speaker or a bass speaker in a speaker cabinet as another microphone (other than the one in front of his actuall amplified speaker cabinet). Taking the response from such a huge speaker cone acting as a microphone would beef up the bass in the mix.

I'm getting a rick soon, so I'm looking into what strings I should get. And I am looking for that McCartney sound (with headroom for more growl if needed). So I am glad to have read what I have read in this thread. Good info, thanks guys.
  17. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Wow, talk about reviving an old thread. :)

I too was told by Rotosound that Tru Bass strings were used by Sir Paul on the rooftop concert.

18. the strings I use on my hofner are the Labella beatle bass's. they are flatwounds, and sound great.
  19. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    another revival.

what did he use back then, and how to labella "beatle bass" strings compare?

just ordered a jay turser beatle bass, got it for $200 on ebay shipped. the strings are the whole thing, though...
  20. LaBella "Negros" are the flat blacks. They were very popular in the 60s along with "deep talkin"!!! Doc