McCartney tone...flats or roundwounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by nyaben, Mar 1, 2001.

1. nyaben

Nov 3, 2000
    I don't care much about slap sounds in my bass playing. I have a Fender P-Bass (MIM) and would like to get that nice Beatlish tone. I've heard McCartney used flats on his Rickenbacker. I have a set of D'Addario XL Roundwounds and I just don't care for them. Should I try the Fender Flats?
  2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I would go for Rotosound 55's.
    These are the black nylon covered strings that Mr Mcartney uses, if that's the sound you are after.
    I use them on my fretless,they take a bit of getting used to but are excellent.
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Didn't Paul use Pyramid flats on his Hofner?
  4. bassmanjck

Jan 12, 2001
    Yes, Paul used Pyramid flats. I just bought some myself. They're incredibly expensive but they sound great! The lows are very clear and the highs ring nicely. They're not as smooth as other flats, but it's worth the sacrifice. I don't know how long they'll last, but I've heard they last a long time. I really recommend them.
  5. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    I thought I read somewhere that he also uses Labella flats.
  6. nyaben

Nov 3, 2000
    I got some Rotosound flats today and I'm getting a little used to them. They don't seem to sustain a whole lot. Very different from the D'Addario XLs I had on before. I think I'll leave 'em on and try to get used to them for a while. The XLs didn't always do what I wanted for recording.
  7. Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    Paul use's Pyramids on his Hofner and his Ric.I'm not sure what he has on the Wal.
    The Beatles used Pyramids on almost every string instrument Epiphone,Fenders,Rics ,Gretch's etc...
    "I" prefer Pyramids for the sound I want.
  8. They used Pyramids because that was pretty much all they could get, particularly in Germany.
  9. Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    To this day Paul use's Pyramids and he could use anything he wants for free.
  10. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Regardless of the brand McCartney tone is PURE flatwound.Nothing round about his sound.