Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

McCartney's halftime Hofner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lorenzini, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Didja see it? I'm sure you did! It was all over the half time show. Sounded pretty good, and Sir Paul played it great. The other guitarist/fill in bassist (didn't catch his bass) sounded great as well.

Overall kickass show, w00t w00t :hyper:

2. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    I thought it was an Allen Woody but it only had one pickup. Maybe a Les Paul bass?

Anyhow, it was a great show. A comment came up during the earlier part "Look! He's playing a Beatle bass!" And the reply was, "Well, HE'd better have one!"

LOL :)

3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Yup. Pretty damned good, I thought. And I'm not even a Beatles/McCartney fan.

Top notch production too. Not so much crap going on that you couldn't tell what was going on.

Best halftime show I have seen in many years.

:)

Joe.

4. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Real musicians playing real music.

What a novel concept.

5. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I thought the halftime show was terrible. Yes Sir Paul played some excellent songs and the other guys were on point musically, but I felt the show was utterly boring. There was no energy or charisma from the performers. It felt old and tired. At least they could've played some more high energy songs. Most boring halftime show I've seen in a long time.

I give credit/props to a legendary musician...but the show bored me to sleep. A Superbowl halftime show should be more high energy. Not a yawnfest.

6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    wwweeeelllll I did fall a sleep, but I won't say it was because of Paul.

But Dincrest, don't be mad because Janet wasn't on this year :D

7. Amen!

I thought it was awesome when he stopped singing and he had the entire stadium singing his song. The band must have been having a blast!

8. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    The halftime show is the only thing watched this year..and it was very good. Brief...but great. I'm amazed that Paul can still hit those notes, and he plays those 30-40 year old songs with as much interest, passion, and conviction today as he did when they were written.

Plus...I LOVE his drummer. Can't get enough of that guy! :D

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I take it there were no boobs, that threatened to destroy the very fabric of American society, on display this year?

10. isn't allen woody dead?

11. AlexK

AlexK

Apr 10, 2001
    He means an Allen Woody signature bass

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I think he has been playing the same Hofner for about 40 years.

13. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Damn. It sure looks to be in awesome shape!

Joe.

14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    the drummer: Abraham Laboriel Jr? ( you all BETTER know who sr, is !)
    i think the guitarist was later playing maybe a Hagstrom bass?
    not a huge Beatles fan, but they WERE good songs and Paul sounded great. And he kept his nipples mercifully covered.

15. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    How can Live And Let Die, Get Back, and Drive My Car be considered boring? I've no idea, as they have always been rockers in my book. And Hey Jude, how could he now play it?

Great show from a legend. And yes, he's been playing that Hofner since 1963.

16. The drummer?!?!!?!

What was that about? They showed him as much as Sir Paul! Nice goatee dude! Who cares about the freakin' no name drummer!!!! We had arguably the best songwriter of our time out there performing his A$$ off, and every two seconds we have to see freakshow holding down a beat my 7 year old could handle....

Great show by Paul....wonder who he handed his bass to?

SB

17. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    No ****?

If so, that was even cooler than I thought. I'm sure he made the old man proud.

Damn. Wish I would have recorded it.

Joe.

18. I think his voice sounded better than I've heard it in years. Better than on the Back in the US cd.

19. I don't think that was Abe Jr....Junior has got way better chops then that!

SB

20. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The drummer was great, I have NO idea what you're talking about.

And Paul passed to bass to a stagehand wearing all black...