Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

McCartney's Hofner

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by supermetroid, Jan 20, 2003.

1. On which of the following albums did Paul use primarily his Hofner violin bass: Rubber Soul, Sgt. Pepper, Revolver, Abbey Road?

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Well, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, and Abbey Road were done on his Rickenbacker. Rubber Soul is quite possibly a mixture - it's difficult to tell. Either way, what I would call McCartney's great bass sound was definitely done using the Rickenbacker.

3. How about that extra-trebly tone on Helter Skelter?

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Helter Skelter was on The White Album.

As far as I know, he was using his Rick all that time and didn't return to his Hofner until the 1969 Let It Be sessions.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Anything "extra-trebly" is definitely not going to be a Hofner - they're known for "dull thud"!! ;)

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Any of those high basslines he liked to do are gonna be the Rick. The Hofner had dodgy intonation and up high it wasn't so good. Whereas the Rick was great up high - listen to basslines like Rain and Paperback Writer.

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I guess he got the intonation taken care of by the time he recorded "Veronica" with Elvis Costello. That song has a very high Beatlesque bass line and he played it on the Hofner because Costello loved the sound of it.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm sure that I read somewhere he had a lot of work done by a luthier to get it in a usable state?

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah, at some point he did get the intonation sorted on it by a luthier. Presuambly sometime before he recorded Veronica.

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I remember reading an article about that. It had to be about the time of the Elvis Costello work. Paul pulled the Hofner out of the closet because Elvis said that he loved it so much. It hadn't been played since the Beatles' days, and had only been out of the case for the "Coming Up" video. He's been using it ever since. That was about the time he started playing that 5 string Wal. The bass tones on the "Flowers In The Dirt" album are remarkable! Between that vintage Hofner and the new Wal (and Paul's prodigous use of the notes below "E", which I love) the bass on that record is fantastic.

Anyway, the intonation sounds good to me on "I Saw Her Standing There" and he goes pretty high on that son.

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    True. That crossed my mind as I was typing out the bit about intonation. I read the thing about having bad intonation up high on a site. I don't know how true it is. But he definitely did start to play higher basslines once he got his rick.

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Paul uses mandolin brothers in staten island NY that is where is axe is set up. he allso gets his strings from their too.