McCoy Tyner

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Velkov, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    What's a good way to start a McCoy Tyner collection?

I love the stuff he played with Coltrane. The other day I heard a McCoy Tyner Trio performance on the radio and was blown away.

So where do I start? Any ideas?

I think I might get the McCoy Tyner plays Coltrane at the Village Vanguard, just because the mellodies will be familiar...
  2. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    'the real mccoy' is a good example of coltrane-period mccoy, but without the coltrane context. the group is excellent, too (joe henderson, ron carter, elvin).

sean p
  3. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    I'll second that!
    THE REAL MCCOY is a smoking album!!

There's also a pretty cool album out there that my improvisation teacher showed me awhile back, I think it's called "supertrios" or something similair. It features Ron Carter and TOny Williams on a couple tracks and Eddie Gomez and Jack dejohnette on a couple others... highly recommended!

4. The Real McCoy is probably the best place to start. If you want something in that vein but a little more developed (albeit with somewhat lesser-known personnel), try some of Tyner's Milestone dates like Sahara and the (godly) Atlantis. In addition to the fine Supertrios, another fine Tyner trio record is Trident, which brings back Ron Carter and Elvin Jones.

My favorite McCoy-as-sideman record isn't even a Trane one--it's a tie between Wayne Shorter's Ju-Ju and Joe Henderson's Inner Urge. Both are excellent advanced hard bop records.
  5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    There's a live one entitled "Enlightenment", with Azar Lawrence on saxophones, Joony Booth on out-of-tune bass, and a completely over the top Alphonse Mouzon on drums. Kinda fun.
  6. Mr. RC

Mr. RC

Oct 31, 2002
    New York, NY
    Another great album to check out is Mccoy Tyner's Inception. I think it was his first album as a leader and was done around 1962. It features Elvin Jones on drums and Art Davis on bass. Its a great album which includes great versions of No Greater Love and Speak Low along with a killin blues entitled Blues for Gwen.
  7. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I'm partial to "New York Reunion", Chesky JD51. Joe Henderson, Al Foster, Ron Carter tagging along.

The playing's great, as you would expect from that group of cats, but the thing about that disc is the recording quality: absolutely first rate. I use it as a reference to check out speakers and stuff.