1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

McCoy Tyner

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Wilbyman, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Dagawn it, I'm listening to some 11/1962 Impulse Trane and McCoy just played something completely amazing. What an phenomenal player. It just occurred to me that I know very little about him other than his discography, which I'm probably only partly conversant with. Anybody got anything to share about him?

2. Jake

Jake

Dec 11, 1999
    Florida
    I like his newer stuff (& of course Trane, Real McCoy, etc.) like the album with Michael Brecker, Infinity. It's got McCoy's trio with Avery Sharpe on bass.

3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I saw McCoy at Caravan of Dreams in Ft. Worth back around 85. Avery Sharpe was playing bass. It was a great show. We were paying to get in when this guy tries to walk past us and in and the girl stops him and tells him there's a cover charge. It was McCoy. He just responded with "I'm playing here tonight", and kept on walking.

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Doh! I've seen that happen before as well. Heck, it happens to me quite often :rolleyes: .

I've not heard alot of the more recent stuff (Avery Sharpe stuff) but will check it out.

5. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    McCoy is just fantastic. I saw him play a few years back in a small jazz club in upstate NY. It was just him and a piano. No band. One of the most intimate performances I've ever seen. I still get tingles just remembering it. We sat about 10 feet from him. You could hear him humming to himself as he played.

I really dig his Coltrane stuff and the older Real McCoy/Trident material. He's got such a unique voice on the piano. He is very rhythmic, and uses a lot of chord melodies.

6. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Avery Sharpe is definitely a very tasty - and tasteful - player. Well worth the listen.

More info. here:

http://www.allmusic.com/

Andy