McCrory scholorship

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by mcnaire2004, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Monday I am auditioning for the McCrory scholarship. It is a scholarship that pays for summer camps around the country. I will be playing the first movement of the Dragonetti concerto. It also is a interview. I am up against 6 violins, 2 violas, a cello, and a bass ( I got him). I was wondering if some of you guys could ask some questions that could be asked to me in this interview/ audition.
  2. G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    Ok dude, I was actually asked this by a group of 6th graders.
    It really threw me....

"what does the bass mean to you, or rather ,why do you play the bass? and not some other instrument "

3. What do you mean you "got" him?
  4. jb6884

Jan 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    The judges are going to know you've only been playing the Dragonetti for 5 days. And, they won't be impressed. Play something more melodic, and show your musical and phrasing ability - not just your technical ability. In the interview don't act like "you got" anybody.
  5. That is a good question. I first started playing bass when I was in 6th grade. I chose it mainly because of it's power and grace. I believe it has more capability than any other instrament out. It's versitility is unmatched and sound un challenged.

Ok was that a good reply to the question? If not please help me to form a better one. Keep the questions comming. As far as the "I got him" part, I was just saying that he will never beet me. Not that he is bad or anything. And I honestly don't have alot of solo's besides jazz stuff. I could play a jazz solo but they will only pay for a jazz camp like berklee. I don't have alot to play right now.

P.S. I am typing this in advisory at school. So, if there are miss spelled words I will corect it when I get home.
  6. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    YOU are a person they would be happy to be associated with. Just be yourself, man. Forget the script. The scholarship is great and we all hope you get it, but ultimately it will be just as valuable for you to go through the interview/audition process.
  7. I am not necessarily going for a script. I am just asking for sample questions that mite be asked. I want to answer them as honestly as I can. I just want to get feedback on how I answer so I can take constructive criticism so I can form a better type of response if a similar question is asked. Thanks for your input.
  8. I've got one: Why do you think it's okay to bring in a piece you've only been playing for two weeks?
  9. Dude, they aren't going to know that I only had it for a little over a week. Besides, I am only going to have to play exerts of it because they arn't going to listen to the whole thing. I am going to choose the most melodic parts and a few of the realy high ones (the last 15 measures and the prob 64-78). It is more about the interview.
  10. Do you know for a fact that they aren't going to make you play an entire movement? I wouldn't go cutting and pasting unless I knew for absolute certain that the audition would be conducted in this manner. Also, in my personal experience, your playing is held in much higher importance than your interview in such a setting. When it comes right down to it, it's the playing that matters most when it comes down to scholarship $$; am I wrong? Just a little friendly advice, take it or leave it. ;)
  11. GirlBass

Jul 31, 2005
    New York
    How do you know that they only want excerpts of your solo? If the requirement states "solo of applicant's choice," then you better have the whole thing prepared. Something I think a lot of us have learned the hard way is that it's NEVER a good idea to assume what an audition committee will want to hear. For example, they ask for a concerto, you prepare the whole damn thing, not to what you think they'll stop you at. Or if they say they want excerpts from Mozart 35 and you DON'T prepare anything past letter A in the last movement, or they ask for Koussevitzky and you only learn the first two pages. But you can learn this the hard way, because sight reading passages that should have prepared is ALWAYS fun in an audition. Thats how all the pros win ;)
    and they will know that you've just started working on a piece, especially if you're 16 and playing Dragonetti for two weeks.
  12. Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    Wow, I wouldn't even let Dragonetti float into my mind for an audition of I've only been playing it for two weeks. For that matter, I wouldn't do anything short of the Elephant if I hadn't gained an intimate knowledge of the piece first. And even The Elephant has that B section ;)
  13. prelims222

Sep 20, 2004
    Southeast US
    Been there, done that.. :D
  14. I was already told exactly what was expected of me to play and how much the interview is weighed. I am prepared to play the whole first movement of the Dragonetti if they change their mind for some odd reason. Dragonetti isn't that overall challenging besides the fact that I am not used to playing triplets past the finger board. It didn't take to long for me to be able to play it. I have learned that it is more about telling them why you need the scholarship and why you should go to a music camp. I started this thread to see if I can get some sample Q and A. If you guys would stick to the topic that would be great.
  15. Hey man, we're just trying to offer some useful advice that can help you beyond just simply tossing random questions at you. I'm sorry if you disagree, but I believe that the things being said here are even more valuable than what could be yielded in the way of your original request for Q&A.

Anyway, expect them to ask you what things set you apart from everyone else, not just in the way of talent. Talk about your real drive and motivation and be completely honest with anything they may ask.
  16. bierbass

Sep 5, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    Read Sam's post again. I think he was trying to offer some positive encouragement. You know, like BE YOURSELF. Don't try to fake your way through the interview by telling them what you think they want to hear. The question about why you play the bass is a good one and you'd be wise to think about that a lot before you go in. But don't try to talk over your head. If you tell them that you are eager to learn more about the bass, which I think we can all agree you are, that'd be a good thing as well.

Remember: "If you fake the funk, your nose will grow."
  17. I got no experience of audition panel questions. I know interviews though and no, that is not a good answer. Two things could happen - 1) you get an awkward supplementary or 2) you just get marked down for not having considered anything. Why? Becaue you haven't expalined anything.

I chose it mainly (this means you had other considerations - make sure you know what they are) because of its power (compared to what - a trumpet? you're kidding me - other strings - well maybe) and grace (what is grace? delicacy? how can you say a bass is more graceful than the other strings? If you believe it find a way to say it although when you do say why it is so compared to others). I believe it has more capability than any other instrument out (objectively this is untrue except you say you believe it - not good enough - why do you belive it? I would take the line if I was going down this path that for me it was most versatile becuase it allows me to play more variety of situations but be wary - there are rock violins, folk violins, jazz violins - why is bass special?) Its versitility is unmatched (now this is trash - its versitilty is exceeded by alsorts - think of a reason - as I said, you will either be marked down or asked why - they can't ask why about every statement you've made here - there isn't time - you have to save them the bother by answering the hidden questions behind your statement - you gotta justify yourself) and sound unchallenged (I don't know about viola concertos - I know there are a few - but if the bass is as good as you say where is the solo reportoire? it isn't there. This statement does not stand on its own. What are your reasons? The violinists will be laughing). And then there is the 'so what' angle to what you say - it doesn't matter - its a nice statement and even if you do justify it it doesn't say why you should get a scholarship.

Look at this from another angle. When you chose bass it could be for any silly reason - just be honest, but having said that, how did you develop youself on it, what is your personal mission for music and how are you putting it into practise, and how will traipsing round summer school camps with a double bass allow you to fulfil that mission. but more importantly how will the givers of the scholarship see (or hear)when you've finished (based on examples you give of what you have done so far? I don't think you will gain anything by saying bass is better than other instruments or making a case for bass. You need to make a case for yourself as a musician who happens to play and love bass.

As I said - I don't know aything about these particular interviews, but I think you need to think through what you believe and what you actually do. You haven't got the time or I sugest, the experience to deal with interviews from a devising clever answers perspective - very few people can pull this off - and those that do are usually unpleseant individuals - those that do well at interview know themselves (as workers or musicians not necesarrily as human beings I hasten to add) very very well indeed and can tell the interviewer at the drop of a hat and learn this:

what they did

why they did it

what the result was

and the clever ones will say what they are now doing to improve and what they learnt from their answer - doing not thinking about it or what they plan to do - doing - it could be what they are doing about their plans but never just a plan - doing.

And these people do so well becuse they come accross well because they are themselves. As I said, they won't be better than you - but they will just know themselves in the role that is being interviewed for that little bit better.
  18. bierbass

Sep 5, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    Mr. Crumpton, WOW.:cool:
  19. LOL . I think I shoulda stayed in bed. I gotta a full days work coming and an all evening rehearsal. I'm gonno be sooo tired I'll write another long spiel on something I know nothing about. I never got round to saying you need to be succinct but then that would have been a little hyppocritical - although true :D
  20. G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    well Mcnaire that's what I mean. the question threw me. But I don't usually have to qualify anything I do in life to others. Specially things that bring me joy and sore fingers.

This is turning into the Python scene when the guy gets thrown off the bridge for answering question wrong.

I thought I'd help out . But really Dude at your stage of the game I wouldn't put so much pressure on yourself.
    when it comes down to it you are only reasonsible for your input. the outcome is up to others. took me a long time to realise and accept this. This is especcially significant in auditions.
    Now go practice