1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

McDonald's and TalkBass

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by BassJunkie730, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Really, what gives?

I understand the site is finally generating revenue from banner space -and we are all more than delighted to have TalkBass.

But - McDonalds? Why?

sure the only reason they would think about giving you money to post a banner is the demographic of the site and the sheer numbers involved.

How ever - at what cost. Save my personal beliefs against Fast Food, this is a Bass oriented site - so I think the banner space should be saved for bass oriented ads.

This is where others make cracks about the relevance of Mickey D's to playing bass. Har Har.

I'd really appreciate it if you let the banner space agreement with McDonald's run out and not renew their sponsorship.

Thanks Paul,

Michael

ps I also have a thread going on about this in the Off-Topic forum in an effort to get more user responses.

2. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    View First Unread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

#1 Today, 07:31 AM
    BassJunkie730
    Make Believer Join Date: Feb 2005

Paul, what's with the McDonald's Banners?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really, what gives?

I understand the site is finally generating revenue from banner space -and we are all more than delighted to have TalkBass.

But - McDonalds? Why?

sure the only reason they would think about giving you money to post a banner is the demographic of the site and the sheer numbers involved.

How ever - at what cost. Save my personal beliefs against Fast Food, this is a Bass oriented site - so I think the banner space should be saved for bass oriented ads.

This is where others make cracks about the relevance of Mickey D's to playing bass. Har Har.

I'd really appreciate it if you let the banner space agreement with McDonald's run out and not renew their sponsorship.

Thanks Paul,

Michael

BassJunkie730
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to BassJunkie730
    Visit BassJunkie730's homepage!
    Find all posts by BassJunkie730
    Add BassJunkie730 to Your Buddy List

#2 Today, 07:32 AM
    Diggler
    An Inconvenient Poster Join Date: Mar 2005

You could buy the McDonald's space.

Diggler
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to Diggler
    Visit Diggler's homepage!
    Find all posts by Diggler
    Add Diggler to Your Buddy List

#3 Today, 07:34 AM
    Visirale
    EST. 1988 Join Date: Mar 2003

It makes me hungry.

Visirale
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to Visirale
    Send email to Visirale
    Visit Visirale's homepage!
    Find all posts by Visirale
    Add Visirale to Your Buddy List

#4 Today, 07:34 AM
    soulgeezer
    All glory to the Hypnotoad!

Endorsing Artist: Red Zone Effects Join Date: Jan 2007

1) Doesn't this belong in Customer Service, maybe under Site Suggestions?

2) I like McDonald's. I like TB. If TB can make a few bucks from McDonald's by selling their burgers, I say it's all good. Fast food is the fuel that keeps rock and roll on the road!
    Bob Club #31
    Visit Jibba Jab's MySpace!
    Red Zone Effects

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mark Latimour
    Jazz - Where aging, wannabe rockstars go to die.

soulgeezer
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to soulgeezer
    Visit soulgeezer's homepage!
    Find all posts by soulgeezer
    Add soulgeezer to Your Buddy List

#5 Today, 07:38 AM
    Bryan316
    Registered User Join Date: Dec 2006

I am totally getting Chicken McNuggets for lunch. Either that or a Filet-O-Fish and ALL the fries the store can sell me.
    METAL CLUB member #24 \m/ -- "I lifted weights yesterday. I didn't really want to, but my roommate left them in front of the liquor cabinet." - TheBigO

Bryan316
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to Bryan316
    Visit Bryan316's homepage!
    Find all posts by Bryan316
    Add Bryan316 to Your Buddy List

#6 Today, 07:38 AM
    BassJunkie730
    Make Believer Join Date: Feb 2005

Sure I could, or could I? I'm sure the golden arch is providing a tidy sum - but their product is not the point of this site, and personally I don't pay my membership fees to belong to a site that endorses their products.

but my rant is less about my personal aversion to mcDonald's and more if Paul, and the rest of you, feel that it's necessary to provide non-bass related banner space to companies who target us as a demo?

So when will we start seeing the Ford Truck banners, Dell computers, Wal-Mart plugs?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by BassJunkie730 : Today at 07:42 AM.

BassJunkie730
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to BassJunkie730
    Visit BassJunkie730's homepage!
    Find all posts by BassJunkie730
    Add BassJunkie730 to Your Buddy List

#7 Today, 07:40 AM
    soulgeezer
    All glory to the Hypnotoad!

Endorsing Artist: Red Zone Effects Join Date: Jan 2007

We already see banners for women's swimsuits and fishing gear, provided by Google Ads. What's the difference? It takes money to run a site like this. If you don't like the ads, get banner blocking software and you'll never have to see them again.
    Bob Club #31
    Visit Jibba Jab's MySpace!
    Red Zone Effects

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mark Latimour
    Jazz - Where aging, wannabe rockstars go to die.

soulgeezer
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to soulgeezer
    Visit soulgeezer's homepage!
    Find all posts by soulgeezer
    Add soulgeezer to Your Buddy List

#8 Today, 07:45 AM
    RWP
    Mellita, domi adsum! Join Date: Jul 2006

I must be missing something, haven't seen one yet. But I don't mind; I hope they are paying Paul a TON to advertise here.

RWP
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to RWP
    Find all posts by RWP
    Add RWP to Your Buddy List

#9 Today, 07:47 AM
    Bryan316
    Registered User Join Date: Dec 2006

I personally can't wait for the Ford truck banners. and Mike Rowe can pop up all he wants on this site. As long as Paul doesn't have Nissan Titans and their 30K-mile-guaranteed-failure axles, I'm a happy camper.
    METAL CLUB member #24 \m/ -- "I lifted weights yesterday. I didn't really want to, but my roommate left them in front of the liquor cabinet." - TheBigO

Bryan316
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to Bryan316
    Visit Bryan316's homepage!
    Find all posts by Bryan316
    Add Bryan316 to Your Buddy List

#10 Today, 07:48 AM
    john turner
    Hey senator, love the suit!

Artist : Conklin Basses, SIT strings
    Moderator Join Date: Mar 2000

should only be in suggestion box.

7 strings to rule them all and in the darkness bind them.

versatile residue - 12 minute instrumental

3. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Ok I'm not happy that my Off Topic thread was closed.

I can understand that certain conversations and threads belong in certain areas. but the suggestion box is buried on this site.
    Granted Paul is the key decision maker here and his feedback on my inquiry is tantamount to most - but I believe I had a good thread going with decent feedback from members.

Too Bad.

I posted the al the posts on the thread in the Off topic form up to its closure.

I just hope people can find this.

The irony is I didn't noticed the Non-bass related banners for supporting members until McDonald's showed up.

which proves how subliminal certain messages about products can be if we aren't used to disassociating them from our lives.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    rules are rules.... including questioning the Mods actions (no it wasn't me, but I'm in complete agreement of the OT thread being closed).

You can't put threads where they do not belong because you think you'll get more traffic / better response.

As far as the McDonalds ad, I've not seen it yet, but I know the google stuff targets viewers as per their individual surfing habits.... maybe you have been tracked places that google chose to hit you with that?

I'm sure Paul will be around to answer soon.

5. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Personally, I could care less what sort of advertising appears here on TalkBass...........if I'm interested, I'll click the ad, and if not, I just ignore it. I'm sure that the majority of ads will continue to be bass related, and the same applies.......if I'm interested, I will click. Considering the cost of running a site such as this (both $$ and time), I have no problem with seeing some "off-topic" ads.........after all, we certainly have a ton of "off-topic" posts! The fact that this is an online community of bassists is what brings us together, and the wealth of knowledge and friendship gained from TalkBass far surpasses the minor "annoyance" (if any) of seeing a "non-bass" ad.

We pay very little $$ to be a supporting member, and some users elect not to pay at all........regardless, the bills must still be paid for TalkBass to continue to exist, and if an occasional burger ad helps to pay the bills, then hand me the ketchup please!

6. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    I believe that if this subject is deemed important enough to discuss by the membership as a whole, the thread will "stay alive" by being near the top of the "recent posts". So.........if ya wanna debate Mickey D's (and other "non-bass" sponsorship) on TalkBass.......now's your chance.

7. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    thank you for your suggestion - I did not think of that.

so I'm going to start a poll and just see what the people think.

As my suggestions have gone into Paul - I feel the poll would serve as a simple sounding board.

8. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    I think you can add your poll to this thread.......that would keep all the input in one place.

9. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    so I started a few threads in my attempt to be heard and after a few good suggestions, I think a poll is in order.

Personally feel that non-bass specific banners should not be allowed to permeate Supporting Members portals (honestly I don't care if non-supporting members are inundated with ad crap - that's why they should pay up.)

As I type this, I stare at a banner for a McDonalds snack wrap or something. While I have a rather strong distaste for the Golden arches, fast food, and it's impact on our society as a whole - the focus of this poll is not to address my personal distaste with one company - but rather your thoughts on Supporting Members having to view non-bass oriented banners.

I understand the need for revenue to run a business, but to what point are we willing to endorse a business's right to gain such revenue?

I pay my yearly membership - and when the opportunity arises i'll likely chip in more than normal - I should not have to see ads like this.

What say you TB?

Respectfully,

Michael

10. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    If it helps Paul pay the bills and keep the site running smooth, I have no problem with it as long as it doesn't get in the way or become obnoxious. These McDonalds ads occupy the same ad space that has always been used, so I see no harm.

11. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    +1 Talk Bass is a business. Paul does a great job running the best bass related site on the web and really, does it matter? By the way I haven't even seen it yet!

12. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    We run Google ads like many other sites out there. McDonalds obviously bought a bunch of advertising with Google. If the ad is truly 'offensive' I can request that Google block it. I have no problems blocking 'provocative' ads etc - but McDonalds? IMHO it'd be like shooting ourselves in the foot (from the perspective of one who pays the bills). Most of the time Google will send through music-related graphic ads (or text ads), but if McDonalds 'outbids' other ads, Google will send through the highest bidder. You can find more info at Google's Adwords site.

13. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Agreed

Agreed
    'Tis the best on the Web!

14. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    it's truly a good thing to hear everyones perspective.

I guess McD's is targeting me. i wonder if there is a way that my IP is also communicating a zipcode and physical address alreting Google that I am literally 50 feet from the McDonald's downstairs.

While I agree that Paul is at the mercy of Google Ads - if my theory is true - then advertising just got little more - eerily - personal.

15. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Isn't it what we want? I have no vested interest - I paid to be a supporting member. But we all want this site to be successful, and it's not like it's Wendy's after all, right?

16. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    If you're running Fire Fox get this add-on and your problems will go away. :)

17. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Ok so I've been a bit idle about my personal beliefs - and perhaps I'll pony up.

But I find it increasingly more alarming that the machines ( like McDonalds - and don't think that it isn't - that company almost single handledly turned fast food into a paradigm shifting revolution) put in place to control they way we think (or at least attempt to tell us what to eat, wear, drive, see, etc.) have finally learned how to adapt to use the the resources that their target use everyday. And they should they are businesses and I am their bottom line. But to have 24 hour exposure to my eyes regardless of my location (or at least as long as my personal information can still be communicated) is a bit confining.

it as if Big Brother is not a government entity - but a corporate entity.

So I am at least satisfied to know the majority stance of users on TB think that this is OK.

Can't ask everyone to agree with me or see things the way I do, but I can ask other to contemplate the notion - and I'm glad that has happened.

18. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I'm running internet explorer. And while part of me believes that I can fight this with programs to hide this from view

The other part knows that the real solution is at the source - as you can't necessarily when the "arms race" of internet marketing - they make a banner - I block it - they find another way to market to me.

19. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Trust me, there are a lot more retailers that know infinitely more about you than McDonald's. How about a store that stocks hygiene products accurately? Or has that just-right pair of shoes at just the right time? And the links between you and your family crossed and tied by checking account numbers, ATM and credit cards, and phone numbers is actually beyond scary to me - it's kind of disheartening.
    It is not that they are spying - they really aren't. Like has been said, they are simply using the data that we freely and openly provide. It's what we get when we sign up for many "free" services, clubs, discount cards, etc...
    Oh well.....don't take the mark, and we'll be OK.

20. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    IMHO There is more to it than that. IE is more vulnerable to many types of privacy attacks. For instance when I run FF with Script blocking I do NOT allow google, double click or another web tracking software to monitor my browsing habits. Of course this is a small part of what Script blocking does. Scripts are responsible for many other problems dishonest hackers use. If you think you can solve the problem 'from the source' think again. ;)