McDonalds: The Verdict Is In

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jcadmus, Jan 23, 2003.

1. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    America makes one step back toward sanity:

January 23, 2003
    Judge throws out McDonalds lawsuit
    NEW YORK (AP) -- Saying the law is not intended to protect people from their own excesses, a federal judge threw out a class-action lawsuit Wednesday that blamed McDonald's food for obesity, diabetes and other health problems in children.

U.S. District Judge Robert Sweet said the plaintiffs failed to show that the fast-food chain's products "involve a danger that is not within the common knowledge of consumers."

The lawsuit was filed against McDonald's last summer and sought unspecified damages. It became a lightning rod for pundits and editorial writers who jeered that it was the latest example of a litigious society in which people abdicate personal responsibility.
  2. Does that mean i can sue Mack Trucks Inc for causing dangerous truck drivers? :rolleyes:

3. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    darn...and I was thinking of sueing Peavey for all my hearing loss in high school...if they hadn't made that amp so loud I wouldn't have played it so loud!;)
  4. Ya know, if I hadn't been so busy stuffing a Big Mac into my mouth with each hand, I wouldn't have spilled that hot coffee on myself..
  6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Was the coffee cup labeled "This Side Up"? If not, I think we have a case here.:D
  7. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC

Oh heaven forbid
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  9. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Somebody give this man a scholarship to law school! :D
  10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

...that the first tobacco lawsuits were thrown out, and deemed "ridiculous".

Now people(especially the lawyers) are collecting billions for what individuals themselves where responsible for doing.

We can all agree that certain behaviour is annoying(ex.smoking, or overindulgence), and the individuals themselves are really responsible. But this isn't the last of these types of lawsuits.

Compared with the start-up expense, the rewards (read:costs to consumers/taxpayers) for attorneys can/will be astronomical.BOHICA :eek:
  11. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I find it sad that this actually made it to court.
  12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

it's probably being tried out somewhere else as we speak!":eek:
  13. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    If a woman can win six miilion dollars for sticking her hand in a polar bear cage, then this doesn't surprise me. Her arguement? She said that the polar bear was hostile because the zoo kept it in a cage. Nevermeind the fact that she climbed over TWO fences to get to the cage and that polar bears are some of the most violent and aggressive animals on earth. BTW, the term that helps people win these stupid cases is called "attractive nuscience (sp?)". It means, more or less, that even if you put warning signs on something, it piques people's curiosity and causes them to put themselves in harm's way, therefore YOU are liable. :rolleyes:
  14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That...that is amazing. "Well, gee, the Danger sign seemed to make it seem all the much better of an idea, at the time. Pony up, beotch."

15. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Thank God this got threw out. It's sad how sue-happy people have become nowadays.

Now I'm going to go shoot myself in the foot so I can sue Smith and Wesson. :rolleyes:
  16. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    One better. A guy wanted to commic suicide, so he puts the Colt 9mm up to his head, and pulls the trigger. Gun jams. Sues Colt. Wins a figure in the 6 figure range.
  17. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    ...reasons I'm glad I don't live in the US, #56...
  18. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I heard one about some guy who was breaking into someone's house and fell through a skylight on the roof and hurt himself. Thief sues house owner and wins.
  19. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Thrash: I remember that case.
  20. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    that's insane! And we pay these judges??:rolleyes: