1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

McG and Bluesblaster - More Bassmigos Fun

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by McG, Oct 25, 2018.

1. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Our own Mr. @bluesblaster is visiting So Cal this week and staying not far from me, affording the opportunity for a Bassmigos day. Scott and I had a great hang.

We decided to meet up at the Shake Shack, the same place Mr. @BassCliff, Mr. @nixdad and I went to last year. BassCliff, Nixdad and McG - Tres Bassmigos at Ruby's Shake Shack

Shake Shack.

We ordered a couple of the legendary Date Shakes. These are your standard milk shake but blended with dates. Amazingly delicious! drool

(Disclaimer: I neglected to take photos of our actual shakes so I used a stock one.)
    Date Shakes.

We enjoyed them along with the a fantastic view of the Laguna Beach cliffs and ocean.
    Shake Shack View.

After looking at the ocean from afar we thought it would be nice to get closer. So we went to a place in Laguna I frequented in my teens. Victoria Beach and the famous "Pirate Tower".

Victoria Beach is a small residential community with a cove beach nestled against the cliffs. It's never crowded because of the very limited street parking. Also there is only one public access to the beach consisting of long, steep stairs.

The unmarked entrance to the stairs.
    Stairs 1.

The long decent to the beach (this is about half the stairs).
    Stairs 2.

It's a beautiful area. It was low tide, exposing many rocks and tide pools.
    Beach 1.

A man enjoying the beautiful day. "We have nothing like this at home". ;)
    Scott 1.

There are many unique custom homes here. I like this one a lot. Pretty neat front yard right on the sand.
    Cliff House.

As we round a rocky point the "Pirate Tower" is visible in the distance.
    Tower 1.

Getting closer.
    Tower 2.

And we're here.
    Tower Close.

The tower was built in 1926 as a beach access for the house on the cliff above. During the late 1940s the home was sold to a former naval captain who was pirate aficionado. He would dress as a pirate and invite local children over for games and stories of the sea. He would hide "pirate treasure" (in the form of regular coins) in the tower for the kids to find. Hence the tower becoming known as the Pirate Tower.

In the late 60s the tower area was the stealthily remote place to "party". I spent many a trippy night there. ;)

Inside the locked door is a very tight spiral staircase that looks like something out of a Hitchcoick movie. Too bad photos didn't turn out.
    Tower Door.

A close up of the tower base and small window. Pretty gothic looking. Amazing it's still standing after 92 years.
    Tower Base.

A couple of Bassmigos enjoying coolness of it all. :cool:
    Bassmigos.

After visiting the tower we decided a cold beer was in order so we headed back to the car. The stairs were an easy downward trek but going up was a different story. Man, we were winded when we got to the top. it sure was easier when I was 18. :laugh:

Driving back into Laguna Beach, looking for a place for liquid refreshment what did we see? The Skyloft, made famous by Cliff's gig report. https://www.talkbass.com/threads/basscliff-w-anb-at-skyloft-1-14-18.1322958/

Skyloft.

Entering the building we found the stage, complete with the lead singer waiting for the rest of the band.
    Skyloft Stage.

He was kind enough to pose for a photo with Scott. From the looks of things it's a death metal band. :laugh:
    Skyloft Singer.

We then made our way to the rooftop bar and got a table with a nice view and ocean breeze. I had a Hazy Hefewizen IPA, really yummy. I forget what Scott had.
    Beer.

It was the end of a very enjoyable day. Always fun when bass brothers get together.

Hopefully other TB folks around the country will have Bassmigos meet ups and post pics. I know we'd all like to see 'em. :thumbsup:

2. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    EPIC, Grant! A mid-week Bassmigos? AWESOME!

A Date shake and a Hef all in the same afternoon, bookending a romantic walk on the beach? ;)

I'm jealous!

Honestly, thanks for sharing. I'm sure it was great to meet Scott, and you showed him a cool corner of So Cal. I hope this starts a trend and inspires more TB'ers to do the same and find opportunities to get together (and then post the experiences!)

Chris

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    Kitsapbass, dbase, McG and 3 others like this.
  3. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Grant,

See you tomorrow at The Ranch? I've got you guys on the guest list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Kitsapbass, dbase, MCF and 4 others like this.
  4. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    That's my hope too Chris. We all love seeing gigs from diverse places. Seeing meet ups away from gigs is cool too. We're all Bassmigos. :)

Hi Cliff. Yep, we're looking forward to seeing you at the Ranch tomorrow night. Thanks for putting us on the list.

Being on the guest list for a BassCliff gig, sweet! Makes me feel like a VIP :cool:

Sore Thumb, MCF, dbase and 3 others like this.
  5. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    As it was when I was at UCI in the seventies. Particularly on nights when the dinoflagellates were active.

McG and nixdad like this.
  6. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Wow! I must have missed this post, earlier. COOL! Neat tower, too. I must say, California has truly some of the most gorgeous beaches and coastal areas. We've been down to (or in your case, UP to...) Monterey, Carmel...just beautiful spots. Thanks for sharing.

BassCliff, McG, nixdad and 2 others like this.
  7. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Dinoflagellates?

Yes, I had to look it up. I’d never heard that word before now, and I’m native Californian with a pretty decent knowledge of marine and terrestrial wildlife.

Thanks for teaching me something new today!

BassCliff, McG and MCF like this.
  8. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Hey Grant, Back home in Minnesota but just wanted to thank you again for a swell time. Hope to do it again down the road and maybe catch yours as well as Chris' band also while I'm there.

I think I had a Hazy IPA at the rooftop bar (skyloft) I would definitely do that place again.

BassCliff and McG like this.
  9. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Hi Scott. I'm glad I was able to help make your visit an enjoyable one. Fun times for sure. :cool:

bluesblaster likes this.
  10. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Yep, that stuff gave the the crashing waves a psychedelic glow at night. :)

11. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    HI Chris,

Ha! Yeah, I had to look that up too. ;) It's too bad you and Mrs. nixdad couldn't stop by that night too. Maybe next time.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

McG, bluesblaster and Kitsapbass like this.
  12. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Hi Dan, yeah, we're pretty lucky to have such nice coastal areas. IMO nothing beats the Monterrey/Carmel area. The 17 mile drive up there is simply awesome.

13. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Hey Grant,

Great post! Some of those steps to the beach at Laguna look very familiar to me. I think I've actually been right near there a few times!

McG likes this.
  14. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Thanks Tony. There's another beach near there called 1,000 Steps Beach. Very similar beach access. There could be other semi-secret spots too. Gotta love Laguna Beach.

Tony In Philly and bluesblaster like this.