1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

McG and GHG at Centerfield 11-2-18 - the usual stuff...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by McG, Nov 3, 2018.

1. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    We spent Friday evening at our usual watering hole. Loaded in at the usual 7:30 to an empty room. The crowd here has been dwindling the past couple of years so we weren't surprised. By the time we started at 8:30 the usual 20 or so people filed in. Even though small, it turned out to be a nice responsive crowd. It was a fun time.

(I've posted many reports from here and the place is nothing special so reason to go into too much detail. As opposed to @BassCliff who can post dozens of photos for every Ranch gig if for no other reason than the ever changing scenery. :))

Here we go with my usual hi-res photos.:p

The usual place.
    CF Outside.

The usual gear.
    Gear.

And the usual suspects...

Fletcher a pickin' and a singin' with Gil twidling the sticks.
    ghg 1.

Gil taking a turn on the geetar while Fletcher sits and hits.
    ghg 3.

Jay ripping a Gold Top solo.
    ghg 6.

Yours truly doing the thump... thump thing.
    ghg 4.

All followed up with the usual post gig munch.
    i n o bag.

i n o food.

The one not-usual thing about the evening was our former lead guitarist, Gary, stopping by. He did a great job filling in last year when Jay was in hiatus.

Always a pleasure seeing the G-man.
    grant and gary.

They asked us back on the 24th of this month, Thanksgiving weekend. It'll either be a nice crowd of long-weekend revelers or a dead room with everyone out of town. Either way I'll be playing and that's what matters most. :thumbsup:

As usual, I hope everyone else out this weekend had/has a good time! :cool:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

good stuff! and there's nothing bad about playing a favorite/fun haunt! thanks for sharing the experience. :thumbsup:

nixdad, Sore Thumb and McG like this.
  3. So do you play that John Fogerty song when you play there?

nixdad and McG like this.
  4. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Lookin' Good! Lookin' Good!

nixdad likes this.
  5. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Thanks! I like that place a lot. 20 minutes from home and good vibes all around. The stage feels like home. :thumbsup:
    You know Paul, of all the times we've played there nobody has requested Centerfield. Glad actually since we don't play it. OTH, maybe we should learn it just to play there. :laugh:

Thanks Dan. We were feelin' good too. It was one of those gigs where everything just clicks. :)

6. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    That’s cool. As they say in baseball, “At least you get to come to the ballpark everyday.” :thumbsup:

7. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    That's what my band needs is a nice little joint like that for a regular monthly gig, I was always more comfortable in a place like that then on those big stages.

How was the OC swap meet gig BTW ?

nixdad likes this.
  8. mcarp555

mcarp555 Guest

Jul 14, 2013
    You have fun, entertain the masses, (hopefully) make a little dough - ticks all the boxes. A burger's not the same as a bacon-wrapped hot dog with grilled onions & mustard, but on the other hand you're a much snazzier dresser on stage than another bass player I could mention... ;)

9. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Trying to get my lazy ass out to CA to see you, Cliff and Chris, but now I'm also adding the In-n-Out burger to the bucket list... ;)

Sore Thumb, nixdad and growlypants like this.
  10. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hey Grant!

Thanks for coming out to my little gig last night. Sorry I missed yours but I was at Chris's gig. We'll get out to see you guys again soon. Maybe I will request a few acoustic numbers. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

nixdad likes this.
  11. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    "a LITTLE dough" is the key phrase. ;) Bands at Cliff's level do ok. Down at our level there are way more bands than venues so money isn't as freely flowing. We DO have fun and seem to entertain those who are in the room. For this old man that is enough. :) Although a nice $1K gig now ant then would be acceptable. :laugh:

Sounds yummy but eating one before a gig would sit hard in the tummy. Eating one after a gig would keep me up all night with heartburn. :wideyed: Better stick with the soothing burgers. :D

Ha! As I always say, people hear what they see. I fool 'em every time. ;)

Just tell your wife you're going out for a burger and hop on a plane. We can all meet at the I-n-O near Cliff, Chris and Gary. I'll even buy lunch. :thumbsup:

My pleasure Cliff. Self avowed Arnie Newman CC Band fan boy here. :cool:

The better choice. :D

Maybe we should start a letter writing campaign to bring back the acoustic line up. :)

Happy to have a semi-regular place but I wish this one had a better built-in crowd. We certainly don't have a following. I like the small venues too. However I do enjoy the large OC Fair stage. I move around a lot and like the extra real estate.

The Swap Meet gig was great( McG and GHG at the OC Marketplace 10-27-18 ). We had a really good crowd and a ton of fun. :cool: Wish you could have been there Scott, maybe next time you're in town. :thumbsup:

12. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Definitely got to make that happen.

We use to have a little place we would play regularly but the son took it over from his pop and decided Kareoke was the way to go, I don't know what kind of crowd he gets for that but we always did well there. I imagine it was all about the money, half the price of a band.

13. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nice, Grant! It’s great that you have a local venue close to home to perform at year-round. I kinda wish we had something like that as well. As we all know, for most of us it’s all about playing with friends (and in your case, family,) more than about the money...although money is always nice!
    Looking forward to catching you guys soon!

You need to make that happen, Bill. When you come to Cali, In-n-Out is definitely a must as part of the food tour.

14. Grant looks like a good time!

BassCliff and McG like this.
  15. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Hey Grant - great report! As soon as I retire I'll have to take a trip out to check out all of you SoCal guys playing live gigs. I think it would be loads of fun plus a bit of "Memory Lane" for me!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  16. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Looks like fun.
    Tell Fletcher to get a hat!

Sore Thumb and McG like this.
  17. The most important line in your review "either way I'll be playing and that's what matters most" :thumbsup:

Looks like a fun night, cool bass btw!

McG likes this.
  18. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Thanks Tony. When you get here we can all get together. Memory lane tours are my favorite. :cool:

It was a good night.

Fletcher likes to be different. He's such a rebel. :laugh:

Fun times for sure! Yep, this old man is happy to still get out once in a while. :)

The bass is an Epiphone Jack Casady. My favorite bass of any I've ever owned. :thumbsup:

19. More and more i think about getting out to So cal to see these guys?! How far away are you guys from Berkeley?

McG and Tony In Philly like this.
  20. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    5 to 7 hours, depending on traffic.

McG likes this.