McG and GHG at the OC Fair, Part Deux (7-21-18) (Video Added)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by McG, Jul 22, 2018.

1. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Hey everybody.

The Gamblers from Goat Hill were back at the Orange County Fair yesterday.

Come on along and reminisce with me.

It was a great day that was devoid the bumps and bruises of last weeks show. If you missed that report you can read it here.

McG and GHG at the OC Fair 7-14-18

This was the 15th time I've played the OC Fair in one form or another. It's getting to be a habit. Since I live just over a mile from the fairgrounds it's the closest to home gig I have. Being a local I'm able to avoid the massive amount of traffic the fair creates by taking side streets through a neighborhood and park to reach the back of the fair where the load in gate is. No traffic here. :thumbsup:
    Driving 2.jpg

Once inside we had to wait a few minutes for the crew to bring a cart for our gear. While waiting, our long time friend, load in manager Kenny, and Jay got into another music discussion. I think they could talk for hours.
    Load In Jay and Kenny.jpg

These friendly girls were our road crew today. They worked hard even helping lift heavy things on the cart. :)
    Load In Staff.jpg

All loaded up and ready to roll.
    Load I Cart.jpg

While Jay and the gear headed towards the stage I went to park my car at the "entertainers" lot. That's just a fancy name for the mile-from-the-fair off-site parking lot where an air conditioned shuttle takes you back to the fair. It's not bad really. The next best thing to parking in the load in area. Certainly better than dealing with the thousands of cars trying to get in the main fair parking lot. :woot:

The lot is huge and can get pretty full. Often times I've had to park at the far end and make a long walk to the shuttle. This year I was lucky and for the second week in a row got a spot very close to the shuttle. Made the short walk, climbed in the shuttle to find it empty except for the driver. As soon as I sat down the driver closed the door and headed to the fair. Usually the shuttles are near capacity. It was cool having my personal "limo" to go along with the load in gate "roadies". I almost felt like a rock star. :cool:

Shuttle Empty.jpg

I only posted a couple of food stands in last week's report so this time I took a different route to the stage to get more. So, for any fair-foodies out there, drool away. drool

Food 1.jpg

Food 2.jpg

Food 3.jpg

Food 5.jpg

Food 7.jpg

And of course liquid refreshment must be had to fully enjoy fair food. :D

There are many, many adult beverage stands at the fair. I liked the name of this one so it made the photo cut.
    The Trough.jpg

I came across this and thought of Mr. @BassCliff. I know he likes the face-in-the-hole things. ;)
    Face in the Hole.jpg

I arrived at our side-stage green-tent to find everyone else already there even though it was still an hour until call time.

I told Fletcher and Gil to pose for the nice folks on TalkBass and this is what I got. *sigh* :rollno:
    Fletcher and Gil.jpg

Fletcher behaved himself when I asked him to pose with his wife. Smart boy. :laugh:
    Fletcher and Amy.jpg

(Just about the pic limit for one post so back in a minute with the rest.)

2. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Continuing on...

Here's a shot of our stage. It's the same one as last week.

The band on before us was Second Rate Kings. A rockin' three piece of guys in their 20s. They were really good doing a mix of originals and 80s deep cuts.
    Stage.jpg

One of the improvements over last week is we started two hours earlier so the sun was higher and not nearly so much in-your-face. Also there was a wonderful 10-12 mph breeze all day. 80 degrees, shade and an ocean breeze made for a very comfortable day.

Call time came and we hustled to get set up.

I neglected to take any set up dance pics. Just one of my usual rig. GK MB500, Avatar 210 neo, Jack Casady sig bass.
    Rig.jpg

This is Rory, our sound tech for the day. He's the number one reason I had such a good time today. Where last week's sound guy was one of the worst ever Rory was one of the best ever. As soon as I walked on stage he introduced himself and said to tell him what ever I wanted. He said "I'm here to make you sound good". Man, was that good to hear. And he did. I was in bass heaven. Between my cab behind me, the monitor in front of me and some bleed over from the mains I was enveloped in fat, articulate bass tone. Plus I could hear everyone else perfectly. I told him half way through the set how good things sounded. After we played I told him how great the bass tone was. He smiled and said he's a bass player too and said he knows what we like. :)

Plus he played Grateful Dead between bands. This old Deadhead loved that! :)

My man Rory! :cool:
    Sound Guy Rory.jpg

This is my view before we started. Most of the seats and all tables filled in when we got going.
    Audience 1.jpg

The band before us ended their set 10 minutes early (when does that ever happen?) so we actually had time for a proper sound check. A luxury for the usually tight schedule.

These folks were cheering and giving thumbs up after the sound check, which wasn't even a full song. They stayed for the whole set. The white haired lady with the walker was bobbing her head during every song. I saw several kids dancing too. Nice to have multi-generational approval.
    Audience 2.jpg

We're a mostly originals band. Usually 75 to 80 % originals in a set. The set list for this show was half covers with the Patti Smith and Lou Reed songs being new. Since many people are posting their set lists these days here's ours for this show.
    Set List.jpg
    The Gamblers are in the post... and... they're off... :bassist:

Gil singing with Fletcher on Drums.
    Amy 1.jpg

After our [patented switcheroo, Fletcher taking his star turn with gill relegated to second class status.
    Amy 4.jpg

Star Power! :D
    Amy 3.jpg

Jay shredding his Gold Top.
    Jay solo with Fletcher.jpg

Somebody even took a separate photo of the bass player. Will wonders never cease? ;)
    Grant.jpg

A quick tear down, the staff returns with carts to schlep gear back to the gate, I retrieve my car, fill it with our WMD, make the short five minute drive home and just like that this year's fair gigs are done. A rehearsal next weekend, then a bar gig the following Friday.

Thanks for tagging along.

McG out...

pcake, dbase, mwbonsall and 19 others like this.
  3. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Great report, Grant!
    Glad to hear that this week went much better.

mwbonsall, Spidey2112 and McG like this.
  4. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Excellent gig report, sir! (Even though I read last week's, too!) Looks like you enjoyed every minute of it, as well!! (Although, I must admit, it is with HORROR I read these "getting to the stage" antics you guys all endure!)

McG and Sore Thumb like this.
  5. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    Chicken Charlie's made it in a episode of Carnival Eats on Food TV last year.

I have an Avatar cab from their early days before they became known and jacked prices. Great cab, but still trying to figure out why the MB500 is stuffed into a 3RU rack case.

McG likes this.
  6. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Hey Grant - what a great Gig Report! Sounds like you get some of the same moans and groans that I get when I make people pose for Gig Report photos. I've gotten reactions from band-mates that I often care more about the report than the gig itself!

Anyway, it also looks like you guys are getting some fantastic gigs lately. Keep it it going!

Sore Thumb and McG like this.
  7. Good Ol' Burgers. LET'S EAT! I love it.

Did anyone record the gig? You look like you're real good! ;-)

McG likes this.
  8. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Thanks Chris. Redemption is a good thing. ;)

Thanks Dan. Yeah, the things we have to deal with getting to the stage. Downtown Disney parking lot treks that equal a marathon, fair gigs that require a shuttle... how do we survive the horror of it all !?! :laugh:

I'm going to try to go see @Holdsg 's OC Fair gig in a few weeks. I need to check out Chicken Charlie's while I'm there. Their online menu look yummy. :thumbsup:

I love mine and the 112 that I use with it sometimes. I got them before the prices went up too. They are still a good deal on a solid cab from a good family owned company. Certainly not a high end cab but good enough for this poor retired senior citizen. :D

I originally got the 3u rack for my 400RB, leaving an extra space for another 1u piece of gear. I retired that amp a couple of years ago and got the MB500. Used it a few times the normal way. Then I realized if I put it in a rack I could leave all the cables connected. Since I had the 3u rack laying around I used it. Now set up is fast and easy with the speaker cables and power strip with extension cord always connected in the back of the rack. Plus the amp is safe from getting dropped or dinged up. The whole thing weighs only 10 pounds and doesn't take up much space.

Hi Tony. Thanks! I get snickers from the guys too about gig reports. They just don't understand how cool it is to share gigs from around the country and even the world. :cool:

Mmmm... me love burgers :)

Yes, we recorded a video. I'll get a song or two pulled and upload them.

Thanks for the nice words about our looks. It pays to have some stage presence. As I always say (quoting Bobby Darrin) People hear what they see. :D

9. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Great report as always... Like everyone else, I'm glad that this week went better!

-robert

10. GRANT IS PLAYIN THE BIG SHOWS!
    Great looking gig man!

nixdad and BassCliff like this.
  11. Bassed in NZ

Bassed in NZ ...in search of the impeccable groove...

Feb 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Sweet gig - and good redemption for last week’s challenges! Thanks for sharing

dbase and nixdad like this.
  12. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Grant,

There is so much to like about your OC Fair gig this week. It's amazing how a good sound guy can make such a huge difference in your attitude and the amount of fun units available. Good show!

I do love face-in-the-hole pictures. Why didn't you guys stick your faces in there? That would be priceless. :p

I also love the fact that the fairgrounds sent you your own car to take you to the gig. Now you're travelling like True Willie and the Boys. ;)

I know I would enjoy playing that stage, especially in that weather. Please keep me informed of your schedule. I've got a few Friday nights off in the near future. Maybe I can catch you guys.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

dbase and nixdad like this.
  13. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Thanks Robert. It's always better to have a gig that doesn't generate an online rant. ;)

HA! That's funny James. I get my BIG SHOW stage twice a year. The rest are as small time as you can get. :laugh:

You got that right about redemption Matt. After a rough gig I try to remember that there is always fresh hope with the next one. :thumbsup:

Hi Cliff. Ain't it the truth about the sound guys. Your gigs have a high success rate of having quality guys at the board. :cool:

I could probably get Fletcher to do it. He's a total goofball. Jay and Gil would just smile and say "Really?" :p

What would be cool is you, me, @nixdad and @Holdsg doing a four Bassmigos face-in-the-hole photo. :thumbsup:

It felt like a personal limo. It was neat. :)

We're playing Hennessey's in San Juan Capistrano (across from the Swallows Inn) on Friday, August 3rd. Doing the 9-10 and 12-1 sets. That's a pretty long drive for you though. :woot:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  14. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    For any interested parties here's a cut from this show. Our version of the Lou Reed/Velvet Underground song, Waiting for the Man. A very old song that's new to us. It's fun adding a different style to our already eclectic mix of songs.

mwbonsall, dbase and BassCliff like this.
  15. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Damn Grant .. that was your best gig report ever... Man I love that Bass.. It is beautiful. Looks like you had a good time ... Also like Kenny, The old Kung Fu Master. ;)

McG likes this.
  16. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Thanks for the kind words Bill.

Yep, Kenny is a character. He's a cool old hippie from way back. He and Jay talk guitars. He and I talk Garcia and the Dead. :cool:

BassCliff likes this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021