1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

McG and GHG at the OC Marketplace 10-27-18

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by McG, Oct 29, 2018.

1. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    It's been a good weekend for gig reports. I love it. Thanks to everyone for sharing!

I'll join the fun with my humble addition.

The Goat Hill Gamblers were back in action yesterday at the OC Marketplace, right here in Costa Mesa, our namesake city. For those who don't know, before the town of Costa Mesa was incorporated in 1953 the area was often referred to as Goat Hill, my home town since 1970.

The OC Marketplace is held every weekend at the Orange County Fairgrounds. in the late 60s and early 70s it was simply called the Swap Meet. A casual gathering of private parties who would bring stuff from home and actually swap items or haggle prices. In the 80s it morphed into basically a large retail situation where regular brick and mortar stores come in and set up booths and sell for regular prices. The name was changed to the more appropriate OC Marketplace. Locals still call it the Swap Meet.

I miss the charm and funkyness of the old way but one advantage to the current incarnation is they now have live music. This was our first time playing there. I hadn't been to the Swap Meet in many, many years and didn't know what to expect gig wise. It turned out to be a great experience.

It was an early event. 9 AM call time and 11 AM downbeat. The earliest times I've ever had. :wideyed:

I smartly loaded gear in the car the night before (after getting home from the Ranch where Mr. @bluesblaster and I enjoyed a couple of sets by Mr. @BassCliff and ANB). It was a smart move loading up the night before as I was pretty tired in the morning. :yawn:

It didn't help my energy level when I opened the garage door to find a wet, foggy morning to match my foggy head.

1 driveway.

It got even foggier as I headed towards the fairgrounds. Only a mile from my house but also a mile closer to the ocean. (I'm only five miles away to begin with.)
    2 drive.

I successfully arrive at the fairgrounds. It's still really foggy.
    3 fairgrounds.

The fair's watch-cow is giving me a stare-down. :laugh:
    4 Cow.

It's a moderately long schlep from the parking lot to the stage. I was hoping we would get assistance like the Fair does.

Jay and I drove to the gate and told the ticket lady we were with the band. She got on the radio and called in a cart for the gear. Nice! They did the same for everyone else when they arrived.
    5 gear cart.

While Jay went with the gear I was directed where to park. It was a spot closer than I expected and just a short walk to the gate. Way better than the county fair where you have to park off-site and take a shuttle bus back after unloading.

Walking in I go past some vendors while looking for the Cantina Hussong's stage.

This is just the edge of the vendor area. There are about 20 long rows just like this. It was pretty empty at 9 AM, probably because of the fog. The sun came out a bit later and the place got crowded.
    6 vendors 1.

7 vendors 2.

I found the Cantina without having to ask for directions.
    8 Hussongs outside.

The place is named after the famous bar in Ensenada, Mexico.
    real hussongs 1.

real hussongs 2.

We rolled in exactly at our 9:00 call time. Immediately a staff member came up saying there is a seminar for future vendors going on and we can't get on stage until 10:00. *Sigh* I guess we didn't get the memo. I needed a cup of coffee to wake up anyway.
    9 Hussongs meeting.

The seminar ended on time and we got to work. This was a four set gig that a band we're friends with booked. They invited us to share the bill and alternate sets. So with the unforeseen hour delay we had two bands scrambling to set up in the 30 minutes before sound check. Fortunately their drummer said we could use her kit and I let their bass player use my rig.

Still, there was a lot of gear on a not-so-big stage. Somehow we got everything set up and both bands sound checked with ten minutes to spare. :thumbsup:
    11 gear.

This is Douglass. He is the promoter, booker, stage manager and sound man for the swap meet. Excuse me, I mean the Marketplace. :D

He was a super nice guy whose biggest challenge is keeping things close to the required 85db limit.
    12 Douglass.

As it neared showtime the fog burned off, the temps went to the mid 70s and the seats started filling in. The stage location was perfect. Right between a bar and Mexican food stand. We had a nice, enthusiastic crowd all day.

I was told we would be under a big canopy, which as we all know can be sketchy sound wise. Turns out they remove the canopy in the summer because of heat build up. There were shade panels over the stage and shade umbrellas for the tables. I was very comfortable.
    13 Crowd.

These are our friends, Petty Thieves. In spite if the name they only do about 25% Petty songs. The rest are covers from Stones to Allmans to John Prine to, well, lotsa stuff. A good rockin' band and fun folks to hang with.
    14 petty theives.

We played the first and third sets. I like playing a set, then kicking back watching another band, then getting up again, then relaxing before tear down.

Just about ready to go. Fletcher saying hang on, the drugs haven't kicked in yet.
    16 fletcher.

OK, now they have. He's ready. :laugh:
    17 fletcher spaz.

Off and running with Gil on vocals.
    19 ghg gil.

After the old switcheroo Fletcher does some caterwauling while Gil bangs out the jungle rhythms.
    18 ghg fletcher.

We got fed at this gig (not the norm for us). On our second break I opted for a carne asada quesadilla. The photo doesn't do it justice. It was very tasty and extremely filling.
    24 food.

When the show was over we did a casual tear down, schmoozed with the audience and discussed future band pairings with the other guys. When we were ready the staff arrived with another cart to haul our gear out. The guy was nice and drove us all the way to the parking lot, saving me walking to the car and driving back to the gate.

Despite the earliness of the gig it was a very enjoyable day. Close to home, perfect weather, a great tipping crowd, yummy food and home relaxing by 4 PM. Hope we can do this gig again soon.

2. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Excellent report, Grant! I’m glad all went well, you got fed and temps were comfortable!

McG and Kitsapbass like this.
  3. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Yea, I think I'd have just closed the garage door again, and gone back to BED!! (Just kidding...). Glad that 1)The fog burned off. 2)A nice crowd finally appeared. And, 3)Looks like a good time was had by all!! Thanks for the good report, and keep up the good work!!! Dan

4. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Grant,

Nice work, my friend. Early gigs aren't bad as long as I'm well-caffeinated. ;)

Did you do your acoustic set or stay with the electric band? I really like the classic GHG acoustic show. I guess I'm getting old. :p

Thanks for taking us along on your gig. I looked like a good one.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

5. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Hey Grant, great report! Seems like you guys are really killing it on the event circuit this year. Keep it up, man!

Loved those outdoor shots of how the early morning mist eventually turns into a beautiful SoCal kind of afternoon too.

BassCliff, McG and Kitsapbass like this.
  6. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    Nice! Also, the fog sometimes can work for you, especially if you tend to overheat while playing. A couple of the bands I've played with have had that problem, to the point where one had a medical issue due to the temp.

Also, that quesadilla looks amazing!

BassCliff, McG and Tony In Philly like this.
  7. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Oh man. I played the car show at the west end of the fairgrounds on Sunday.

BassCliff and McG like this.
  8. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Thanks Chris. I have a pretty narrow temperature comfort zone. I'm loving the nice upper 70s fall weather. :)

Hey Dan. Yeah, my first thought was "what am I doing up so early out in the fog?". :laugh: But I knew it would burn off by show time. :thumbsup:

Hi Cliff. This gig was still all electric. I've started discussions about bringing back the acoustic stuff, at least for part of the show. Fletcher and I are up for it, and frankly would go back all acoustic if we could. Jay and Gil are firmly in the all electric camp. They will probably come around to doing a few songs acoustic but they both complain about needing to bring more gear. :rollno: Slackers ;)

Thanks Tony. We had some fun event gigs this summer. I like 'em when the weather is nice. (Being so close to the ocean we're used to the morning fog and overcast.) It's back to our dark sports bar home base this Friday. Hey, as long as I'm playing... :)

So true about the cooling effects of the fog. It did keep the morning nice and cool for our rushed set up.

And yeah, the quesadilla really was delish!

Small world. The fairgrounds have usually have a lot going on. Wish I would have known you were playing. I would have stopped by.

Kitsapbass, BassCliff, nixdad and 2 others like this.