1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

McG and GHG at the Orange County Fair, Part Deux

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by McG, Aug 14, 2019.

1. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    There have been so many great gig write-ups this week. I've enjoyed each and every one of them. I'm happy to submit my contribution. :)

This past Saturday we had our second of two gigs at this year's Orange County Fair. It's the 10th year in a row for me and the 5th for the current band line up. This one was another fun time. :thumbsup:

As always the crew at the load in gate is friendly and help in any way they can. They bring large flatbed carts right to your car and help with the heavy stuff if necessary. On one cart the stack of guitar cases was getting pretty high so Jay decided to carry his. A crew member said he would be happy to carry it while the other crew member pushed the cart. Closest thing to having roadies I get to experience. :cool:
    cart 1.

Moving through the load in area we see one of the stilt walkers heading into the fair.
    Stilt 1.

They are known as the Dragon Knights and play fairs around the country. Cool people to talk to back stage and very talented performers. :thumbsup:
    stilt 2.

The OC Fair is one of the biggest in the state with 1.4 million people attending over the 30 day run. This gig was on the last Saturday, traditionally the most crowded. It certainly was today.

A couple of pics as we head towards the stage.
    Entry 1.

entry 2.

The stage is near one of the most popular food stands: Giant Turkey Legs. The things are massive and you see lots of people walking around with them. They even have bacon wrapped ones. Too much for me. :woot:
    Food 1.

food 2.

They have silly signs throughout the grounds. These were near the stage.
    sign 1.

sign 2.

sign 3.

The set up boogallo is starting. I was happy so see sound tech Steve (left) was here again. He's one of the best they have. His capable assistant Kenley was an efficient worker. You can see our first class green room tents behind them. Hey, they have water coolers. We can't all have trays of food and coolers full of beer. Ha! :laugh:
    Crew 1.

Gear rundown. Pretty much always the same for us. Most of you have seen this stuff many times. Feel free to skip to the next section if you're tired of reruns.

Vox ac30 and Les Paul. (The little Deluxe 112 Reverb is backup.)
    gear 3.

Classic 60s Ludwig drums.
    gear 2.

'65 Princeton (Telecaster and Stratocaster still in cases). Avatar 112 neo, GK MB500 and Epi Jack Casady.
    Gear 1.

We were on the same stage as a couple of weeks ago. There are three stages but over all these years I've only played twice on another one. Happy about it because this is the best stage as far as having a guaranteed crowd since it's the dining table area near the biggest food stands.

All set up, sound check complete, 15 minutes til downbeat.
    stage 1.

It was a perfect 77 degrees at our 6:00 start. We usually play earlier in the day, and it's usually a lot warmer so people tend to not sit in the chairs in front of the stage. With cooler weather the seats stayed mostly full. The tables were full too. When people would leave a seat or table others would take their place right away. Gotta love that.

The view from my corner of the world. This was our sound check audience. Oh, it wasn't a hazy day. That's smoke from the multiple grills. The smell of delicious b-b-q permeates the area.
    crowd 1.

Back in a minute with some performance pics.

2. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Our little combo in action.

As usual we start with Fletcher up front on lead vocals and rhythm and Gil on the throne. With the late afternoon start time and southwest facing stage it was a sun-in-your-face gig. Even with the temperate weather it was quite warm up there.
    Band Fletcher.

Then Fletcher goes back to the crash and bash seat while Gil comes front and center.
    Band Gil.

Gil and yours truly doing our thing.
    Band Gil Grant.

Father and son having fun. :)
    Bamd Jay Grant.

Jay ripping a solo, Fletcher looking cool and the bass guy having some sort of fit. :D
    Band Jay Fletcher Grant.

Fletcher saying "I'm the golden god of rock n roll". :roflmao:
    Jay Gil Fletcher Band golden god.

At one point I looked to my left and saw a familiar face. It's our old sound tech friend Scotty. He's mixed us several times at different venues. He just happened to be there with his daughters and walk by when we were on stage.
    Scotty.

As good as the Fair crowds always are this one was one of the best. But all too soon it was time to leave.

Two carts and four crew members showed up to schlep our gear through the crowds and back to the gate.
    cart load out.

On the way home Jay and I decided to stop at our old post gig stand by, In-n-Out. Yeah, we do this quite often but it really does taste extra good after a gig.
    in n out 1.

in n out 2a.

Another OC Fair summer complete. We have this weekend off, then two of the next three weeks we'll play the Orange County Market Place. Same fairgrounds, different area.

Cheers to all!

3. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    hi Grant :)

The weather gods were on your side that' s good news!

Also great to see, that you had the right stage! Good size!

And the right place! (not between parking lot W an Y :laugh:)

Big enough to fool around without stepping on each other' s toes.

Not too big, no need to bring looking glasses to keep eye contact! :D

And of course the right size for cool action shots showing the whole band! :bassist:

You guys rock! Thx for sharing! :thumbsup:

greetings

Wise(b)ass

nixdad, Sore Thumb, McG and 1 other person like this.
  4. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    Great report Grant. Now I'm hungry. :drool:

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Great report! And you look sharp on stage!

6. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Thanks for sharing, G!

7. jblock

jblock Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    CT
    What a great report and nary a photo out of focus (just kidding)!!

nixdad, Sore Thumb and McG like this.
  8. LUpton

LUpton Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Probably too old for this sh--
    Damm I miss In 'n Out...

9. A few things here:
    Those stilt walkers were amazing!
    I love the farming signs!
    OH god i love a good turkey leg -these looked amazing! I bet the smoke filled the fairgrounds with deliciousness!
    I love gold top Gibson's -fletcher is killin it!
    You guys look great on stage! You know if @two fingers says so you have passed some sort of milestone!
    Keep on Gamblin!

10. Mmmmm.... BBQ!

Great gig report!

11. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    In the last pic of your first post, there's an older gentleman sitting by himself...at first I thought that was ME!! But then I realized, no. I'm way the heck over on the East Coast!!!!!! Awesome shots, great gig, and thanks for posting! Dan

12. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Grant!

A most excellent report of your most excellent day at the OC Fair. I think I've told you before that I've played the OC Fair a few times but it's always been in the Baja Cantina in the evenings. You know the place. It's basically a dive bar right there on the fairgrounds. :p

I'm glad you guys had such good weather and such a good crowd. Heck, you even got roadies. I didn't get roadies last Saturday. :p

"Fletcher saying "I'm the golden god of rock n roll"" and "...the bass guy having some sort of fit". That's funny stuff right there. :D

I hope Mrs. McG is feeling better and I also hope to see you guys again soon. Take care.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

13. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    You got that right Wise. I do terrible in anything over the mid 80s. I guess it comes from spending my whole life near the ocean. I don't know how you guys in hot, humid areas handle it. :woot:

That stage is 16 x 24. The biggest I ever play on. After the dinky corner bar stages I frequent this one feels like a huge stadium stage. A real treat for a guy who's constantly hopping around like a madman. I'm dangerous on small stages. ;)

Thanks Tony! Just looking at I-n-O food makes me hungry too. :D

Thanks for the kind words Two. I've said it many times and it seems to hold true, people hear what they see. ;) I fool 'em every time. :D

You're welcome Spidey. :)

Thanks!! Yeah, most of the photos came out ok. Fletcher's wife does the band shots and they are most always great. I do all others. I always take close to a hundred shots and am lucky to get a dozen good ones. :laugh:

I'm lucky to live in In-n-Out country. There are three near venues we play, including one within walking distance from my house. It's an addiction for sure. ;)

Hi Jimmy. They really are cool. There must be a dozen different costumes, maybe more. Very talented people who put on amazing shows. Lots of puppetry included in their routines. They don't like back stage photos so I just took one as he was close to entering the fair. It's neat seeing them getting ready. They have chairs on tables to sit on when putting on the stilts.

The smell is everywhere. It comes home with you. Smells so good you want to eat your shirt. :roflmao:

The Gold Top and the Vox are a perfect match. (BTW, it's LG Jay playing it. ;))

Thanks! I guess the look is working :thumbsup:.

Thanks Paul!!

Hi Dan. That's Kevin Cavanaugh, a well known local multi instrumentalist and music teacher. I was flattered that he came and stayed for the whole show.

Now that I know what you look like I'll recognize you if you drop into a show unannounced. :)

Hi Cliff. I like the Baja Blues venue. I've seen many bands there. I'd like to play there sometime. It's a bar but it's air conditioned. :)

Being five miles from the ocean really helps the weather, as you know. And the Fair is the one place you know will have a good crowd.

Twice a year I get roadies. I feel like a rock star. :cool:

:D

Thanks. She's right here and I passed along your message. She's pretty sore but doing better than expected. (Nothing serious folks, four teeth extracted and a bridge implanted.)

She's bummed about missing TW tonight and hanging with Mrs. BassCliff :(. We will get together soon for sure. :)

nixdad, Sore Thumb, jblock and 5 others like this.
  14. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    A most entertaining report . . . and educational! We got to experience both the performance and the ambiance . . . oh yeah, and the chow! Top flight work, man.

15. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Thanks so much for the kind words. :)

A county fair has so many photo ops. Much easier to create a report from there than a dinky dive bar. ;)

nixdad likes this.
  16. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Great pics, Grant! Keep it coming!

17. Well done Grant. I'm a fan of your story telling and photos. One of these years I'll get down to SoCal and say hi in person. I'm totally envious of the roadies. Any gig where you don't have to lug your own gear is a win. Thanks for sharing.

nixdad, McG and BassCliff like this.
  18. Lindsey Burke

Lindsey Burke Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lexington, KY
    OK Grant, the In-n-Out pics did it! I'm totally convinced that I need to get my butt out there. Very cool gig report.

nixdad, McG and BassCliff like this.
  19. Beersurgeon

Beersurgeon

Jul 16, 2010
    Denver
    Well, if I wasn't hungry before, I am now!! Great pics and looks like a fun gig!

nixdad and McG like this.
  20. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Thanks Tony. We're back at the OC Market Place next weekend. Not as many fun photo ops but I'll get something up.

Thanks Andrew.

Yay! I have a fan :)

If the stars ever align and you make it down to So Cal we'll get together and have a blast. :cool: I'd sure like to see your area. I spent some time on Vancouver Island and on the B.C. mainland up to Kamloops in the 70s. I loved Canada.

So true about having help schleping gear. I'll have a bit of it again at the Market Place gigs coming up the next few weeks. They meet you at the main gate with flatbed electric carts and drive the gear to the stage. They don't help lift things like at the fair but it saves rolling or carrying anything the 50 yards or so to the stage. :thumbsup: A guy could get spoiled :laugh:

Thanks Bill! Come on out. Maybe we can organize a TB meetup at an In-n-Out. Take over the place. :D

Thanks, and yes, it was a really fun gig. :thumbsup:

Food pics get to me too. So many great ones get posted in reports. I love it.

All it takes is looking at an I-n-O food pic and I get the munchies. :woot:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019 at 12:06 AM
    nixdad, Sore Thumb and Tony In Philly like this.