1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

McG and Goat Hill Gamblers 11-24-18

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by McG, Nov 27, 2018.

1. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    For those of you curious about what the polar opposite to @BassCliff 's Lake Tahoe gig looks like, well this is definitely it. ;)

We played our usual sports bar on Saturday and it was pretty much, well, meh. A really thin room, which I kind of expected. Outside of the three who came to see us, the four other people who were into the music left mid set, although they did come up to the stage and compliment us before leaving. A couple of girls came in at that point to play pool. They enthusiastically clapped after every song. The remaining six or eight people there were more interested in what ever was on TV. :meh:

Most of the gigs lately have been pretty good so I guess a meh is bound to happen now and then. On the bright side we still had fun and I was out playing. :)

A few pics.

Our cozy little corner of the world. Even though it's small I like this stage. Played on it so many times it's comfortable and I know what to expect sound wise. :)
    Stage.

Fletcher front and center singing his songs with Gil on drums.
    Flercher front.

Gil in the lead vocal role with Fletcher keeping the beat.
    Gil Front.

The rhythm section at work.
    Grant and Gil.

My son Jay playing great lead guitar even though he was less then 100%. (He had an allergy attack just as we were leaving for the club.)
    Jay.

Gil saying "There sure are a lot of TVs here". (At least there aren't any behind the stage. )
    Gil TVs.

Naturally when I asked Fletcher to pose for the nice folks on TalkBass this is what I got. He's such a goofball. :laugh:
    Goofy Fletcher.

Four weeks til the next gig. It's back at the place that was a regular spot a couple of years ago. I always liked it there and looking forward to being back.

Loving all the other reports from the weekend! :)

2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Grant,

You guys sure are a fine bunch of howdy-do. I'm sorry I've been too busy to catch one of your gigs. It's fun to listen to you, especially with Jay back on guitar. Keep up the good work!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

nixdad, Kitsapbass, BassManKK and 4 others like this.
  3. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    They can't all be home runs! We all play a few dogs here and there.

Also - very cool that your son is playing with you.

4. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Cliff has the Sushi, you got the In-n-Out burgers... enjoyed the video

5. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Hey, for "Not-Tahoe"...EX-cellent report, sir!!! (;)). I've been thinking seriously about those shades you wear, and I think I'd have to do that myself. (You know, so as to hide my sneak-peeks at the fingerboard!). Thanks for posting, say hi to the gang out there!!

Sore Thumb, Kitsapbass and McG like this.
  6. I thought we were at the "anti-Tahoe" gig?

For space and "fancy-ness" we were also light years away from Cliff's gig. But we did have a good turnout and a fun night. Those "meh" gigs are inevitable and disappointing, but it's part of the gig.

Thanks for the gig report, did I miss a video that was mentioned above?

7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:thumbsup:

thanks for sharing your experience. :thumbsup: your reports would be more like cliff's if you included pics of food and girls. :D

8. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Hey Cliff. Sometimes we're just a fine bunch of doodie-dos :laugh:

No worries about missing our gigs. You are a busy guy, plus coastal OC is a pretty long trek for you (when it's not for a paying gig. ;))

So true Jay. We want every gig to be the best ever but in the real world, even in Cliff's, it just ain't so. :rolleyes:

Yep, playing with my son is really cool. :cool:

I'm with you Bill. I'm also a burger guy. I scrolled through the sushi pics fast. Not a sushi guy here. ;)

Glad you enjoyed the video. I'd like to see you guys take on the song when you are ready.

Thanks Dan. Not only do the shades provide for stealth fretboard sneak-a-peeks, they hide my old puffy eyes. :D

Probably the majority of us are in the "anti-Tahoe-gig" club. :laugh: But we all have fun most of the time anyway. :thumbsup:

The video was in the "Check In" thread in reply to @dbase 's post about adding Dancing Barefoot to their repertoire.

dbase said:
    All stoked up ... haven't practiced since Oct 29th... One gig coming up in January ... practice tonight finally.... Whoo Hooo learning 4 songs
    Freebird: Lynard Skynyrd, Custard Pie: Led Zepplin, SOS: Glorious Sons and Dancing Barefoot by Patti Smith

McG said:
    Cool Bill! We recently added Dancing Barefoot to our set list. Fun song to play

Here's our version of it. (Sorry for the crappy video framing. :p)

You're most welcome. Unfortunately there are rarely girls and never food of Cliff's caliber at our gigs. Pretty tough to match his reports. ;)

mwbonsall, nixdad, Kitsapbass and 6 others like this.
  9. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    very cool! I too like you get a chance to perform with your son.

Sore Thumb, nixdad and McG like this.
  10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

ha! :laugh:

well, i think it's the idea --- you're right: cliff's reports are tops...legendary! --- but including any girls and any food gives us the 'global view'. ;)

if it was just me = food pics would do. :laugh:

nixdad, McG and Sore Thumb like this.
  11. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    cool Grant. a gig is a gig.

Sore Thumb, nixdad, McG and 1 other person like this.
  12. hey i like that stage! Cool red curtains! Looks like fun Grant! Keep on truckin...

nixdad, Spidey2112, McG and 1 other person like this.
  13. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV

Cool video! At least you were onscreen the whole time! :woot:

Sore Thumb, nixdad, McG and 1 other person like this.
  14. Hey, there is a *stage* at least, better than playing amidst the ferns where they just moved a couple of tables out of the way! And your bass rig looks awesome (what is it??). Looks like it was fun other than the small crowd. The rock 'n roll army needs some grunts like us, we can't all be Colonels like @BassCliff!

Sore Thumb, nixdad, BassCliff and 4 others like this.
  15. Thanks for sharing Grant what bass is that you are playing?

BassCliff and McG like this.
  16. BassManKK

BassManKK Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2016
    Nice gig report and thanks for sharing. A dive bar gig or a sports bar gig is still way better than no gig at all!

nixdad and McG like this.
  17. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    With a couple of short breaks we've been in the same band for about 15 years now. The best guitarist I've played with in my 50 years of thumpin'. Proud papa :)

Ya got that right Gary! :thumbsup:

Thanks James. I like the stage too. Not too bad size wise for a four piece. I saw a six piece on it once. That was tight. :woot:

Thanks Tony. Glad you liked the video. It's from a gig there earlier this month. That one had a nice responsive audience. Sure makes a difference. ;)

Besides being on screen the whole time, the top of my head wasn't cut off. :laugh:

Ha! Been there myself. :woot: It's even better when the band has to move the tables, after waiting for the people sitting at them to finish dinner. :laugh:

Thanks. The cabs are an Avatar 210 neo on top of an Avatar 112 neo. The amp is a GK MB500. I'm really happy with the rig! Super light weight and it sounds great. :cool:

Yeah, every army needs troops who can't get into the officer's club. :roflmao:

Hi Rob. It's an Epiphone Jack Casady Signature bass. The only bass I ever bought without playing first. I love it!

You are correct sir. Many of us have gone through gigless spells. For sure sumpin' is better than nutin'. Fortunately it's a pretty nice place. No dive bar vibe at all, AND only 20 minutes from home. :thumbsup:

Thanks for joining in. :)

18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Always a pleasure, G-Man!

19. So you’ve never played some gigs like some of mine then?

“When does the band start?” “Well, we set up where you’re sitting, so the sooner you can settle up and move to another table...”

Sometimes that doesn’t go very well.

20. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    I like the looks of that stage, I see plenty of room!

Sore Thumb, nixdad and McG like this.