Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

McGregor Bassman 200W

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Paroxyst, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Has anyone on this forum ever owned, or know anything technical about, a McGregor Bassman 200W head? :)

I'm suffering from some heavy amp noise that's perceptible at even the most reserved of gain settings. I have spoken to other owners of these amps that do not suffer from the complaint, and given at uneven texture of the interference (much 'chunkier' than white noise or pink noise) I'm led to believe that it is due to component or shielding failure. It is not your typical AKAI Home Hi-Fi cheap amplifier noise. The noise doesn't intrude into performance, even at higher volumes, but the noise in between tracks is nothing short of embaressing. :oops:

I have experienced the same problem at a variety of temperatures, and power locations, so localised interference in my home and dry joints don't appear to be the problem at this stage. :meh:

I can't seem to pick where abouts in the signal path the noise is occuring. I don't have access to an oscilliscope at present, so I was hoping that somebody might be able to share a little useful knowledge with me on this one... :D