Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

McGregor Bassman Ohms Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tom Crofts, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Right, I have a McGregor Bassman 200W head and it has 3 outputs, Ls1, Ls2 and Slave. Above these it says 'minimum 4 Ohms'. I am currently using two Carlsbro 150W 1x15 speaker cabs from school. They are 8 Ohm. They have In, Out and Link sockets. I'm using one cable to each cabinet into the 'In' socket from Ls1 and Ls2 of the head. How many Ohms would this equal? Am I completely destroying the cabinets or the head? Would I need a cable splitter from Ls1 OR Ls2 to both cabs to get a 4 Ohm load?

Thanks.

2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi Tom,
    The connection that you describe SHOULD give you 4 ohms.
    Any easy way to check is to plug both cabs together ( this is the same as plugging them both into the amp) and using a multimeter set to resistance,measure the connection between the tip and sleeve of the jack that plugs into the speaker out connection of the amp.
    It should read a bit over 2 thirds of the actual impedance (about 2.8 ohms - 3. something ohms)
    Hope this helps!

(BTW check the location!)