1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

McLaughlin and Santana-Let us go into the House of the Lord

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Baryonyx, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Given that this is my favourite tune from one of my favourite albums, I thought you might dig this! The organ is a bit hammy and loud like, the original version I thought was better, but this is still a good watch!

2. Órale,
    THAT was one intense album! Great player's, including one of my Fav's, Doug Rauch.
    Unfortunately, Carlos' does'nt make MUSIC like that anymore. Caravansari, Lotus, and my personal favorite, Santana III, are classic's we'll probably never hear anybody produce in these day's of lite-weight music (???).
    Closest thing was Abraxas Pool's 95' release, Schon, Rolie, Carabello, Chepito, Shrieve, Alphonso Johnson out-Santana Santana!
    Bobbo 77'

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Great album. The wild, cosmic guitar solo from Batuka still gives me goosebumps... :eek:

MM

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yes, hearing Doug Rauch playing on Love Devotion Surrender was very nice, I had heard a lot about him but this was the first time I had (knowingly) heard him on record.

5. Órale Chris 2112,
    Doug was a fine bassist, and if I'm right, recorded with George Duke, but I'm most familiar with his work with Santana on Lotus, Caravasari , and Welcome. The Love, Devotion, and Surrender stuff was excellent, kinda a cross between McLaughlins' Inner Mounting Flame anf Carlos' recording's of the day.
    Bobbo 77'

6. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    Doug recorded with Duke on Cobham's "Life & Times" and toured with Cobham/Duke/Scofield until was replaced with Al Johnson.

There's a thread for Doug here at TalkBass which should come up easily wih the search (I'm too lazy too look it up now...;)).

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Thats a fair comment to make, and it proved to be a rather good mix! Though I have to admit, I wouldn't have thought Santana and McLaughlin would have been the most obvious pairing but it worked out well!