Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

McLusky

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Anyone who likes balls-out, stone-simple ROCK needs to check these guys out. I don't believe I've ever heard a band that just plain rocks as hard as McLusky does--not even Nirvana or the Pixies. They're not at all technical, but who gives a rat's ass? Listening to their newest one, McLusky Do Dallas, is like being hit in the face with a brick after having all of your pleasure and pain receptors reversed.

If they're anything, they're punk--and more in the Sex Pistols/Gang of Four/Wire mode than any of the obnoxious suburbanite pop-rock being passed off as "punk" today.

2. Holy crap, I put this in DB and not BG. Mods?

3. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    it's not all jazz and classical folks over here, pete - relax. :)

sean p

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Not so smug now, eh? I'll move this eventually, but I want to give the wolves a chance to have some fun first if they're in the mood. See you in a bit! :)

5. Check the influences, man--I've probably posted more on the DB side in the past six months than BG anyway.

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I have a soft spot in my head for all that slammin' stuff, though I don't get to play it anymore, I like the Pixies,Gang of Four and Wire just fine. I had a blast here last year when Foo Fighters came to the MACC. I also really like the Queens of the Stone Age vid that's rotating on MTV right now. I will check out McLusky.
    P.S. One of my favorite discs from the punk era was Ian Dury's "Laughter"...wondering if it's still available. Kinda punk/funk. I also really love Tom Verlaine's "Dreamtime" album for guitarishness. Chris, feel free to bounce me anytime, just flashing back.

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

You are but a sheep in wolf clothing. Where are all the biting, sarcastic, rapier-like replies?

Oh, I forgot. Everyone's practicing.

Everyone else that is....

8. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    Sorry, this is all i can muster: :confused:
    'cause these "names" (?) are unknown to me. May as well be hieroglyphs.

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Baaa-a-a-a..

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thanks for the heads up!

Nirvana, Pixies, and Mudhoney were what I used to be big into a few months ago untill joined my new band. Since then, Ive had to change what I was listening to so that I wouldnt be stuck in that mode when playing in my "nu-metal":rolleyes: band. Lately because of band troubles (no one cares) I have been drawn towards what I used to listen to. More STP, Pumkins, Zeppelin, Floyd and the previously mentioned bands, which basically means more rock.

Ok let me stop rambling and just say thanks for adding another band to my list.

Peace
    Nick

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Wow. Is there such a thing as a nursing home for wolves? Can they be put out to pasture?

Off to BG.

12. Gracias.

13. McClusky is great great great...that is all.

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

In the "best rock riff of the year" thread I nominated McLusky along with QOTSA. Killer riffs (catchy ones, too), wonderful Steve Albini production (gnarly guitars and fuzzy bass). The vocalist is amazing: often over the top, but there's *always* method to his mayhem: he has a way with words, phrasing, and melody. Regarding the entire band, I don't think there's a wasted note on the entire album.

Definitely my favorite rock album of the year. I've played it many times and I'm not the least bit bored with it: each time I listen I hear something new, which is very impressive for a punk band (although a more accurate genre tag would be "post-punk").

15. (sing it)

:D