Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MD to Computer

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Bassman_Spike, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Hi everyone

I just worked out how to do some recording by hooking my MD player up to my digitech bp200 headphone jack.
    So now i have each track on MD how do i get it onto the computer to do the editing and mixing.
    I only have an onboard sound card that has a red, green and blue hole. I also plan on using cool edit to mix it

Thanks for your help (i hope to get :D )

2. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Piece of cake. Just use the headphone jack of the MD player, and connect it to the Lin in jack up you computer,(that's the one that's not the headphone jack and not the mic jack) I'm not sure about the color.

You will have to play the MD in real time, and record it on the PC using one of a zillion sound recodrdng programs. If you want to edit it, you need a cheap wav editor, like blaze wave creator 3.0, my personal favorite because it does everything I need it to, and it's cheap.

Done and Done.

3. So you can use any sound recording program to do the recording in real time, sounds easy enough

And also do you no any programs that you can make drum beats with, something thats easy to use

thanks

4. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    if you want to add drum beats to what you are playing, you could mix in a drum machine through a small mixer, but it sounds way complicated. you would be better off recodrding with the drum machine, and recording them both at the same time.

Mark

5. thank you tubass you have been very helpfull

6. If you run your out from the headphone jack, why can't you record directly onto your pc? That way you could create a drum track and add tracks through your line-in set up. You'll need a duplex soundcard so you can go in and out at the same time. Most newer cards are.

7. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I've done a lot of dubbing between MD (Sony mzn707) and pc soundcard. Once it is dropped in I trim it up and then drop the track into Sonic Foundry Acid. I'll set the tempo for the piece then sync it with the beats from the Acid library. If your original piece has a lot of tempo problems this will be a nightmare. With the capability of the entry levels Acid program and the lower cost of SoundForge LE (or whatever they are calling it now) you can be doijng a lot of high quality post production work without dropping a ton of money.

I like sticking with an editor and post-prod piece from the same company because it makes the learning curve less steep.

If you have access to a CD/R deck you can do the transfer to that and you might get better results. I'm not too hot on doing the mixdown in real time like one poster suggested. without a way to sync and set points you will go nuts every time you make a glitch!