ME-50 B as Preamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Folmeister, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I just got through doing a search and have not found quite the answer I was looking for. Has anyone tried using the ME-50B as a preamp and running it straight into an amplifier? Speculation had it as not having enough gain, but has anyone actually tried it yet?
  2. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I haven't tried it yet, and am not sure why you'd want to do things that way, but I can try it out after work and give you my opinions. I will say this, though; the ME-50B makes one heck of a nice guitar multi-FX pedal! I think I'm gonna buy an ME-50.
  3. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    The instruction manual for my Ampeg SVT has a recomended setting for rock music that has the master volume and tube gain jacked to 10 with the volume controlled by the-amp gain. I called Ampeg to confirm this (yes, they talk to the end consumer :) ) and was advised that "AMpegs are made to be driven at 10 and sound best that way"

My reservation is that is something goes wrong, a loud signal could fry my speakers. Hence I prefer to use both the pre-amp and power-amp gain to control volume to prevent this.

Enter the ME-50. Often times I will end up doing something that sends a really loud signal to my amp and am really glad I have the safety of pre and power gain.

So, in theory it would work, but why tempt fate?