Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ME-50 B as Preamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Folmeister, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I just got through doing a search and have not found quite the answer I was looking for. Has anyone tried using the ME-50B as a preamp and running it straight into an amplifier? Speculation had it as not having enough gain, but has anyone actually tried it yet?

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I haven't tried it yet, and am not sure why you'd want to do things that way, but I can try it out after work and give you my opinions. I will say this, though; the ME-50B makes one heck of a nice guitar multi-FX pedal! I think I'm gonna buy an ME-50.

3. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    The instruction manual for my Ampeg SVT has a recomended setting for rock music that has the master volume and tube gain jacked to 10 with the volume controlled by the-amp gain. I called Ampeg to confirm this (yes, they talk to the end consumer :) ) and was advised that "AMpegs are made to be driven at 10 and sound best that way"

My reservation is that is something goes wrong, a loud signal could fry my speakers. Hence I prefer to use both the pre-amp and power-amp gain to control volume to prevent this.

Enter the ME-50. Often times I will end up doing something that sends a really loud signal to my amp and am really glad I have the safety of pre and power gain.

So, in theory it would work, but why tempt fate?