Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ME-50B as preamp -> Boss LS-2 for A/B and signalboosting?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mara, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    I'll come back to the ME-50B routing issue I posted earlier but, I thought I'd start a new thread because this question is valid for other effects too.

So my current setup goes like this:

Bass--> preamp in ---> effectsloop out --> compressor ch1 in --> compressor ch1 out --> compressor ch2 in --> compressor ch2 out --> effectsloop in --> preamp out --> poweramp CH1 in --> poweramp out --> cab.

(compressor ch1 in --> compressor ch1 out --> compressor ch2 in --> compressor ch2 out is daisychained so that ch1 is the compressor and ch2 is the limiter).

I want to use my current setup most of the time, but I would also like to use the ME-50B sometimes and I want to bypass my current setup and plug the ME-50B staright to my poweramp's CH2 input. During gigs, I guess a A/B switch would make this possible, to swap between my current setup and ME-50B.

Couple of questions:

If i use an A/B switch such as the Boss AB-2, could I run the ME-50B straight into my poweramp? I mean, Would it have a strong enough signal to drive the amp? If the signal is not strong enough could I do this by using the Boss LS-2 that has a signal booster (?) and could function as an A/B switch too, as far as I understand? Or how would you recommend I should do this?

Thanks for any help!

2. Hey, I was hitting up your other thread. Again, I think you realize that the ME-50B probably doesn't have the gain to drive a power amp...

I'd suggest getting the most simple preamp you can afford that will up your gain and not color the sound all that much.

Presonus makes the Tube Pre
    that is as simple as simple gets. Guitar Center sells them for less than $100...but you'd still need a line switcher to go back to your normal rig.
    [​IMG]

Then there's the Bellari Tube Mic Preamp which does the same thing for a little cheaper...but it's more fragile with the exposed tube.

[​IMG]