ME-50B question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Biker4Him, Dec 7, 2004.

1. I looked through the threads that mentioned the ME-50B.. then I got lazy, and decided to just ask.

It appears that the ME-50B does not have a true bypass. Is that correct??. If it does not have a true bypass, then how much if any of life does it suck out of your tone. I love my current setup with my Benavente/Read Purity/Schroeder. I want to be able to have the effects at my command, but also want to be able to have my current tone at my feet as well???
  2. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I think I remember someone (maybe David Wilson) saying that it didn't noticably color the tone when bypassed. It would be my choice for multi-effects if I didn't love my VF-1 so much! :hyper:
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I tend to always have mine on when I use it though - with a clean 'patch' which has some preset eq, maybe some comp.
  4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I don't remember any Boss product ever having "true bypass."
  5. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I guess when you use the tuner option, that bypasses the pedal. I thought they were saying that was true bypass, but as a guy who uses one, I don't think it is.
  6. so no matter what.. there is some loss of tonal degredation?
  7. hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    I'm still experimenting with mine, but so far my basses sound GREAT through the thing - and to what Dan said "tune" mode seems very transparent sounding.
  8. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    I've owned one for a couple months now and yes, I do believe there is some loss in tone. For me, most noticably in the high end. My rig config is F Bass/USIP/Stewart 1.2/Acme. I use custom made cables to link everything up. Pretty much a hi-fi rig.

Granted, when I use it, I'm going for a bit o' dirt and pretty much leave it on. The end result is most people don't notice the difference. Not even our sound guys.

Not sure this helps you though.
  9. Yeah.. it helps.

I'm running My Benavente into Purity pre into Stewart 2.1 into Schroeders, and also using custom cables (shameless plug for Todd at ProCablesNSound!!).

I guess I'll just have to get one and find out. I've also talked to Jack Read.. he said I should get better results using the effects loop on the Purity.. less tone loss. I'm sure any loss of tone will probably only be noticed by me. It's just the thought of doing anything to "hinder" what I think is the best tone in the world.. (sucky bass player... but AMAZING tone!! :smug: )