1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ME-50B vs. Korg AX3000B

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bradweiser, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Hi,

Previously I was tossing up between the ME-50B and Zoom B2, but since then I've tried both out and definitely prefer the Boss.
    However I was looking around Music123 and saw the Korg AX3000B. I haven't found any places locally that sell the Korg, but from what I have seen on websites of other Australian retailers, it's only slightly more expensive than the ME-50b.

So for those of you who have had experience with both (or just the AX3000B - I'm interested in hearing some feedback on that alone), which is best and why?

Thanks.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

The Korg has a lot more possibilities with pretty unique features.

They added a lot of knobs and real time controllers so it's really easy to edit tones on the fly. Same can be said about the Roland. Both are very easy to use.

The big weakness of the ME-50B is that you can only use a modulation OR a time effect, not together except for a selected few. On the Korg, you can do both and add even another time or modulation effect on top.

Soundwise, modulations and time effects are fabulous on the Korg, much better than the Boss.
    Filters and synth tones are decent on both, so are amp models on the Korg (the Boss has none).
    Distortion is average, a bit cold on the 3000B. They're much better on the Boss, sound realistic.

I'd go with the Korg myself but would keep a couple good distortion pedals on the side.
    The Boss is really nice but doesn't offer that many combinations and possibilities.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Jazz Ad sums it up nicely. It depends on what combinations of effects you're looking to do. I rarely if ever run a modulation and time effect at the same time, so that's not a big deal for me.

Overdrive is a really important thing to me, so that's why I'd go for the boss for MY needs.