Me a newspaper editor?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DEFELDUS, Dec 8, 2003.

1. well, this is interesting.

i have never been on the newspaper staff, but this year i have AP english and the teacher is also the teacher of the newspaper/journalism class. well this week was a deadline week (as in everything had to be finished and ready to be sent to be printed) and deadline weeks are always hectic. so anyways, as usual, i went to her class during the period im an office assistant to help with last minute stuff (typos etc) for extra credit in english (woo, fun :rolleyes: ) and so im sitting there fixing mistakes and stuff and i ask her why the students dont work on it during the non deadline weeks more instead of waiting until the last minute and rushing to get it out. we end up talking about the current editor (head student over the newspaper, who is a friend of mine hehe) and she says "well he never does what he's supposed to. he never comes after school" etc etc. so out of nowhere she goes "do you want to be editor? i was like haha sure and she says no im serious, you're an excellent writer and you pick up on this stuff quickly (adobe pagemaker) and i was like uh ok. so i proceeded to put my name on the staff page, which now looks something like this:

David blahblah
    Jeremy blahblah
    she wanted me to replace him, but seeing as how hes my friend i was like no, it will be better to have two, that way if one cant do something the other can. long story short, im now an editor in chief of the school newspaper (which ~1500 kids read every 2 months), with little to no experience. what the heck have i gotten myself into! :eek:
  2. 1...2... Freddy's commin' for you.

3. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
  4. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I write in the music section for the largest student newspaper in europe. 60,000 read it every week :D!

editor is a sweet job man. i only get to give my opinion on free albums :'(
  5. nice!

well as editor i basically get to oversee things, correct things as i see fit, and do the overall design of the page (seeing as how i am the only one that can operate photoshop heh) one think i may try to get going is an online version. if it works ill be sure to give you guys a link!
  6. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    do..... it would be well cool. and its EXCELLENT for youre CV :)

keep a record of EVERYTHIGN you edit / do that extra and make it into a portfolio. i do :)
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Do they have punctuation in your newspaper.....?
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Think of the childen
  9. Show off... :p

10. oh bite me. i only left out one period! :spit:

11. Bruce Lindfield

12. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    *cough*grammar nazi*cough*
  13. Bruce Lindfield

I'm not the one who is aspiring to be a newspaper editor...:meh:
  14. Student papers...bah...not that hard. I edit mine and write in it as well for a school of 1500 and it's not hard or pressure. It's more annoying dealing with so many stupid articles.
  15. hey, at school and other times it's appropriate my grammar is immaculate. my posts are quite legible and as such i feel no need to change my posting habits. i mean cmon, who cares (besides you) if my grammar is 100% perfect on a internet forum? my posts are mostly grammatically correct, save for my lack of capitaliZation. i hate the shift key :spit: