Me Again: Wizzy vs. Scout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by comfortstarr, Jan 21, 2004.

1. I asked a bunch of questions regarding the Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout a while back. Then life took a turn and I moved and bought a house. Still, and irresponsibly so, I want an amp.

The Walkabout Scout is around a grand. But then I noticed the iAMP 200 Wizzy. It's around 900.

The pros of the walkabout: removable head, good power, I've heard it and it sounds really good--considering it was in a Guitar Center at the time.

Cons of the walkabout: Lots of folks here have commented on the amp part, but I've heard little about the combo together. It was tough to judge in Guitar Center

The pros of the iAMP: from my understanding, based on comments here and elsewhere, these sound great.

Cons of the iAMP: less power than the mesa, can't remove the head, ???

I play sort-of-rock (e.g., Tortoise and other post-rock type stuff). I don't play in a band currently but probably will soon, however, it won't be a loud one.

Can anyone offer any: "If I were you, I'd..."

2. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    I heard the whizzy but not the Scout, because the scout they had at out GC here in Buffalo was broken.

Both amps are similar in a way that they both have features that make them different from other 12s: The scout has a passive radiator, the EA has a transmission line design.

They both have top-notch pre-amps - the Scout has a 3 band with 3 parametric mids, the EA has four parametrics and 4 really, really, really good presets. I mean, these are pre-sets that are really good.

I don't know the efficiency of the scout, but the EA has a whopping 103dB at 1 W. I would assume that even though the Scout has more power, the EA would be louder because of the effiency of the cabinet they use. The reason why the efficiency is so high is because of the transmission line desing and the fact that there is no cross over.

I also would assume that if you have a bass where you like the sound whan you play it through a good HiFi system the EA would be better since they have very little discoloration (even though the Whizzy has more discoloration than most other EA equipment - it is warmer than a CXL112).

The equalizer of the EA is better for small changes since you can switch the two mid-bands over from 1 octave to 1/2 octave bandwidth. With that you can make adjustmets where you want to without affecting everything around it.

If you want a drastically different sound than the sound that your bass has right now I would assume the scout is slightly better since the equalizer allows for more drastic manipulation.
    Howver, in my many years of experience I never found drastic EQ manipulation and squeezing a sound of equipment that is not there a good thing.

The other plus of the EA is the active extension cabinet they offer: For small gigs you take the combo, for larger ones the combo and the extension - adds 6 dB to your overall volume. You can expect to get up to 128 or 129 dB out of the stack, wich should be loud enough for almost anything.
  3. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Keep in mind that the internal speaker in the scout is 8 ohms and the Walkabout gives like <200W at that load.
    The internal speaker in the Wizzy is 4 ohms and you get the amps full power into the speaker. You cant ad an extention speaker without an extra poweramp though.
    I´d go with the Wizzy.:cool:
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine

"If I were you, I'd..."

Pair up a Walkabout head with a Wizzy WZ-112E, like I did!

The 4 ohm Wizzy cab allows the Walkabout to put out its full 300w, and these two sound absolutely fantastic togehter. I had been Jonesing for a Scout enclosure to throw my Walkabout in, but once I heard it with the Wizzy, I really doubt that I can find a better match for it (in one small cab, that is). These two products pair up remarkably well. Tone to die for, great balance and clarity, and lots of volume from a small package. Keep in mind the Wizzy does not have tweeter, so you don't get real sparkly highs, but you really do get plenty of otherwise useable high end.

Later, Tom.