Me again :)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by SpecialEd123, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Hi, me again, hehe. Anywayz, Im learning bass from a video, and I was wondering how useful octaves, major scales, minor scales, etc. are when playing rock stuff. I mean, do you guys come up wid your own toones, or use those scales with different beats/tempos, or what? Sorry Im new to this, any replies will be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    Learn everything you can as far as theory goes, if you don't want to use it later then so be it but atleast then you have the choice.
  3. Aight, but what would be the best thing to learn to play, thatll be useful in playing hard rock songs? any ideas?
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Remember that whatever song you might come up with, no matter how wild it seems, the notes that are in in fall within some existing scale or chord structure. So all of those things like scales and octaves are important. Think of notes like words; if you know theory, then you can actually make sentances.

As for hard rock stuff, most of the music out there today is made up of minor scales and pentatonics.
  5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah, they do come in handy.

My basslines are mostly root/octave stuff with some other things thrown in. It makes things more interesting when you throw more into the groove. I dont know much theory and I feel like its holding me back. If I knew more, I could probably have someother ideas of what to do.