Me = Amp n00b...Help me out =P

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ethon, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    I've been using my 60W amp combo for the gigs Ive played at that I've needed to bring my own equip for so far. (Only like 50 people). But its about time that I get something with a lot more power...please help me lol
  2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Filling out your profile would be a good start. That will let us better see what you've got to work with. What kind of music are you wanting to use it for? What kind of sound are you after? What bass are you using? What's your budget? Are you wanting a more powerful combo vs. head and cab? etc. Give us a little to work with, and there will be a TON of people here to help you.
    Welcome to's a great place to learn!
  3. Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    I plan on using it for Rock/Jazz/Funk styles of Music on my Fender 4 String P-Bass. Im willing to spend around 900-1000 dollars to get the best possible sound. I dont care about portability so much since Im still young and can still haul stuff around =P. Im just looking for something that will put out the loudest, best sounding sound for the dollar.
  4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Most importantly, I would go used. You can double your buying power. There are many reputable online dealers that sell used gear. You can price shop if nothing else by looking around on the web.

I would get a 410 and power it with a head that has a tube pre-amp. The 410 will do a nice job cutting through your band's mix. Tube pre-amps are known for adding warmth to your sound. This setup, as opposed to a combo, gives you more upgrade flexibility.
  5. Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    Any particular brand names/models?

Also..any URLs to these online stores?
  6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Well, the brand names part is very personal. Twenty different people will give you as many answers. You will be best off trying a bunch of gear at any and all music stores you can find. However, considering your preferred music style and price range I would suggest starting with these two popular and well respected flavors:

SWR Goliath III....recognized by some as the best all around 410. Used....$500 give or take.

Eden 410XLT....same reputation as above...maybe 50 bucks more.

That leaves you with about $500 for a head. I would look for a 500W head ideally. To stay with the brands listed above try the SWR SM-500 or the Eden WT-500. Loaded with features, very solid, tube preamps. You will need a little more than $500 for either of these but once you're spending a grand, what's an extra 100 bucks, eh?

Used gear leads:
    Bass Central
    Bass Northwest
    E-bay....careful....ask questions
    Harmony Central classifieds

Well, that's a start at least.
  7. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Sansamp RBI $300, QSC RMX850 $300, Avatar 4X10 $380 shipped, about 70-90 rack case. $1050 or so. I have seen several ampeg SVT IIs on ebay sor about $200 if that is more your flavor. and definetly check out the used gear sugestion.
  8. Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    Do I need the preamp?
  9. Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    Also....would a Aguilar 112 be enough power for like say, a 200 person gig?

What I think I might do, is get the Carvin RC210 Combo for right now, and add a 15 or 18 down the road...Anyone ever use the RC210?
  10. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I wouldn't try to play a 200 person gig with an Aggie 112. To be fair, I don't know what they are rated at but if I had only one speaker cabinet I would go with a 410.

Many people like the Avatar and that would certainly open up more $$$ for your amping situation.

The Sansamp-->QSC-->Avatar setup mentioned is another setup option. As far as the preamp question you had, yes in that setup you will need the preamp to shape your tone.

Let me clarify. There are typically 3 setups:
    1. Combo (can add extension cab if needed with some)
    2. Hybrid head (preamp/poweramp) and cabinet. Most prefer a tube preamp as opposed to solid state for better tone. This is the setup type I suggested.
    3. Preamp and power amp and cabinet. This is the setup Skorzen suggested.
  11. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL

If you are looking at preamps, check out these three:

1) SansAmp RBI
    2) Alembic F1-X
    3) Ampeg SVP-Pro

2 and 3 are a little more pricey than the SansAmp but should be affordable used.

I'm waiting on an Avatar cab, but I can let you know what I think in a couple of weeks.

Good Luck