Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Me and My Bergantino NV 425

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Folmeister, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Well, all of my band-mates have returned from their various vacations and I finally got a chance to use my new NV 425. I, and my band-mates, was very impressed with the cab!

Gear:
    Amp: Aguilar DB 728
    Pre: Demeter HBP-1
    Bass: Reverend Rumblefish

I bought the NV 425 to replace my Mesa Powerhouse 2X10 and 1X15 cabs. The speaker configuration, 3X10 +1X15, I thought was a perfect match for a replacement to the Mesas and a compliment to my Whappo Jr. I was right. This is a completely different animal than the Whappo and I couldn't be happier!

I thought I was going to have to spend a lot of time re-EQing my rig for the new cab since it does not have a high-end driver (tweeter as the kids say these days). I was wrong. The cab sounded great with my normal settings. With just a little tweak here and there I was able to immediately establish a very cool tone. The sound is. . . . . incredible. The lows were so full and rich I was stunned. Now, we practice in a large warehouse and the 425 literally filled the place with sound. I may be a little touched in the head, but I was getting this really awesome 3-D sound from the cab. It's a little difficult to describe, but it was producing a sound that radiated in a way I have never really heard from a bass cab before. This may be do to its sealed design, but I am not sure.

I was very surprised at the smooth, rich high-end that the cab produces. There is no need for a "tweeter" as the 3X10 configuration reproduces upper frequencies very well.

The 425 is a remarkable cabinet in every way. It seems so simple in design, but the tonal qualities are anything but simple. It impressed people who have very little idea of what a good bass tone is, and impressed me to no end. I recommend this cab to anyone that wants to work with a vintage vibe but from a 21st century approach. Now I want to try the 2X15!

I want to thank Juan Ortiz and his Basses Electric & Acoustic for bringing this great cab and me together. Juan has a full line of Bergantino cabs and is a great guy to deal with. Of course, I must give Jim Bergantino a tremendous pat on the back for his awsome design. Keep up the good work!

2. Jim and his cabs are awesome!

3. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Nice review and I agree, The nv425 is a great cab. It does a lot of things very well.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    So, are you using it in conjunction with your Whappo, Jr., or as an alternative to the Jr.?

5. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Right now, because I have to designate 1/2 of my truck's cargo space to PA gear (@#$%$% singers and their lame Nissan Sentras!), I can only take one or the other to a gig or rehearsal. I WANT to run both. I think the combination would be brown trouser good. Then, maybe, one day, I'll throw my ACME in for spontaneous combustion goodness. I was looking for a two-cabinet arsenal that would cover the modern and vintage spectrum. I think I found them.

6. The NV series is very good. I have not auditioned a El or a Jr. yet... I have the NV610 and find it pretty darn whoopin', but my tastes are leaning lower and fatter these days ( must be my present physical shape drawing me there ) I"m thinking I might fancy the 425 or 215 even more. Either way, you can't go wrong with the Bergs or the Grooves (from what I hear)

7. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

oh man , your'e giving me G.A.S. pains ...
    got any pictures of that setup ?

i currently run an HT310 , but have been drooling
    over the NV425 since i first heard one .

damn , i gotta win the lottery or something ...

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    of course it sounds great!!! look at what's driving into the cab!! :eek:

but thx for the great review! :bassist:

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Nice review! I love my NV610. Did you have a chance to A/B your NV425 with an NV610?

10. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    No, I didn't. I had a 6X10 at one time (the SWR Goliath Senior, not the NV) and have a lot of tens already so I didn't really have much motivation to compare the two. I demoed the 425 and an HT 322 at the same time though! I was looking for that non-hifi vibe and went for the 425. I am now dreaming of the 2X15.

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I had an opportunity to demo all three NV series cabs at Bass Emporium, and while I really liked them all, the NV215 is the one that's majorly calling my name! I just need to sell off a couple of cabs to physically make room for it! ;)

12. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    Thats a question I've always wanted to ask you, not the usuall "how much did that cost?", or "do you have a roady to move that?"
    but more importantly, where do you put it all?
    and if you have the money to buy all those cabs, wouldn't you rather buy another shed to put them in... ohwell, I guess that was my jealous side talking

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I have a basement bedroom that has been designated as my "music room." There is still just enough room left for me to sit in a chair with my bass... :p

14. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Killer rig! :cool: :bassist:

Congrats.
    -Art

15. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    O.k., Gang, I gigged the 425 yesterday at a local event sponsored by a Bay Area radio station. Rehearsal was one environment and this was another. The room is a difficult one. It has a mexican tile floor, a stucco ceiling, and a framed opening that opens out on to the bar area. Lots of slapback and boom. The 425 was a monster. It gave me thick, concussive lows and tasty, clear upper registers. I used the same rig I used for rehearsal. I am more and more impressed with the cab. It's heavier and a little awkward compared to my Whappo, but right now it is my favorite cab. I really recommend it.

16. You know I really love 12" drivers and I'm kinda Eh.. with 10", but I've always loved 15's and I'm really enjoying the HT115, I'll bet the NV425 and NV215 are crazy with deep lows. My NV610 is a massive punch machine with great lows and highs too, but many I keep thinking that a 215 along side would be down right brutel as many have said... just so much gear to bring...

Say what amp were you using with your gigs? Which do like the best with the 425? So, the Whappo got whooped heh...

17. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I am down to the DB 728 right now as my 400+ has developed some sort of trauma. My backup is either a PLX 1602 or 2404.

I have only run this cab with tube amps, which it seems to really like. I wish I could afford an Aggie 500SC to try.

18. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Have you tried it along with the NV610 yet?

19. Fuzzbass

I once owned a Goliath Sr. also. As you probably know, the NV610 is a very different animal than the SWR. The NV610 would certainly be much closer to your 425 than the Goliath Sr. I liked the SWR well enough, but the sealed NV610 has the punchy/growly SVT vibe I was looking for.

20. Fuzzbass

Situations like that are where sealed cabinets really shine IME: they have consistent punch and lows remain well-defined. :)