Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

me and my first sadowsky...review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by twiz, Jun 12, 2003.

1. twiz

twiz

Jun 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    first a teeny bit of background...i've spent quite a while playing a fender deluxe lyte p-bass and i never really thought i'd see anything better. i'd made some appropriate mods (ranging from simple setup tweaks, flatwounds, etc to installing some nice duncan pickups) and i found myself with a darn fine guitar...

anyway, as with everything i knew it was time for a change and if i were going to go through such a change, i may as well do it right

i scratched my head for a long time and phrased the following sentence: "a _____ bass! you just can't get much better than that."

well, i made a long list and narrowed it down to laklands, foderas and sad's. i nixed the first one due to availability of a four string in my area that i liked and the second one due to price, so i found myself with a used sadowsky 4 string.

anyway, after a long tough wait, the bass arrived in MINT condition

i must admit that the finish is about 10,000% better than i thought it would be based on the photos.

i studied the guitar in great detail and could not find a single flaw...i mean not one single nit pick. the ONLY and i mean ONLY thing i could come up with after a detailed examination was that one of the felt discs under the strap pin was off-center by a hair. that was it! man what a nice bass...

oh i should mention that the only "surprise" was that i was expecting a "music man" style wax finish on the neck. the back of the neck was more of a VERY light laquer finish. not annoyingly thick by any means and still very fast, but not quite a music man wax (what can i say... i love tung oil/wax finishes)

may as well also mention that the guitar's setup was in pretty mediocre shape...but i won't place that on anything besides shipping

...and then i plugged it in. Now, for years i've played dead straight with flat eq. through a polytone 15" combo...i started out this way with the sad too...ahh .... brite.... hrmm....must need some flats

anyway, i quickly changed strings to some fine Thomastik Infelds only to realize that i hadn't received the CASE CANDY ....... grr .......(speaking of which, does anyone know where i can get the normal set of stuff that comes with one of these) !!! you can imagine my frustration staring at a slightly dissheveled string height and slightly bowed neck. I raced to a local guitar store and picked up a few allen wrenches. I was extrememly careful adjusting the bridge doing as LITTLE as possible myself (i'll get the bass professionally setup in a few days after the neck settles)

anyway, after i got rid of the awful string height imbalance and some of the buzz, i plugged her back in ... and it was... amazing

using a FLAT eq, the bass is still a teeny bit briter than i am used to (due to the maple fingerboard)...

but with some minor eq-tweaks, some fine flatwound strings and a bit of finger plucking...man that is an absolutely beautiful sound...so incredibly rich...so warm and smooth...every nuance of finger movement was translated into tone...absolutely beautiful...that is a DAMN fine bass.

anyway, i can't wait till i can get it setup and cleaned up a bit. i need to experiment a bit more with the eq. the lack of cut in the preamp is a bit unwieldy at first for those not used to it, but i'm sure it'll all work out in the end

anyway, i must say, it's about as nice as they come

amazing!

2. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    wow, that's a sweet bass! do you think the sound diff that you were not expecting could have to do with it being a j as opposed to your p bass? i hope your happy, i would be. ;)

3. twiz

twiz

Jun 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    no problem

i was used to playing a mahogany bass w/ TI flat wounds, a bass eq'd out pre-amp and flat amplifier eq

when i took the same amp settings, but ran a newly stainless steel string'd maple neck'd ash(?)-bodied jazz bass through it, it seemed very brite

once i had switched to flat wounds (and put a small block of foam under the strings by the bridge as an overtone mute), boosted the bass on the pre-amp a tiny bit and a tiny bit on the amp the tone was warm and bubbly delicious

the bass itself is so incredibly responsive to the tiniest tweaks of amp settings it's amazing

what's even funnier is that unlike so many many basses which have one or two good tones (two if you're lucky), this sadowsky really has a broad range of tones using one or both pickups and a mix of eq settings

so far, it's really amazing...man i can't wait to get it setup

so anyway...do you guys know if i can buy a case candy set for this? i guess i should email mr. sadowsky.

Thanks!

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

Wasnt Mr.Brown(JRBrown) looking at that bass? It looks familiar.

5. Welcome to the family.:)

6. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Twiz...

That is the absolute best review of a bass guitar I have ever read. Its in OUR language and I know exactly what you mean. Damn! I want your bass!

You Sir, should write for Bassplayer Magazine.

7. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Very good call....I have played both and the Sadowsky wins hand down!

Roger knows what he's doing.....My next bass will be a Sadowsky Standard 4.

Twiz: Good luck with the new bass, call Roger I'm sure he will get you anything you need for the bass.

Or call who you bought it from & tell him you want the case goodies! I mean $2000.00 isn't pocket change!

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    man,

cant wait to hear those words in 6 months... :(

9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Glad to hear we now have another member to the "gang"!! All you need for that bass is a phillips screwdriver to adjust the neck and an allen wrench for the bridge. No big deal. A quarter turn should straighten that neck out. You'll really love the satin finish on the neck once you start wearing it in. It will wear done and feel awesome. I bet that bass would look great w/o the pickguard, too!! Here is a pic of my family. Play it proudly!:D

Rob

10. Joker, you have one on order? What Sadowsky are you getting?:D

11. twiz

twiz

Jun 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    i have to say, the more i play this bass the more i love it

it's funny because if i were to have purchased a custom one, it really would've been quite different:

rosewood or a darker wood fingerboard
    sunburst w/ a tortoise shell finish

perhaps even p/j pickups w/ the passive tone

...anyway, i suppose that's something to think about in a while from now

the fact that i ended up with a bass that's really quite the opposite of that and am still loving it is really pretty amazing.

i guess a lot of it comes down to how much tone variation you can get out of that bass by changing strings, tweaking eq, even touching amp settings (which i'd historically all but ignored).

ok time to get some allen wrenches and a philips head! -- can anyone confirm the EXACT specs for these tools? like wrench size/screwdriver head size, or whatever?

thanks guys

12. Yeah, Jae, give us the details of the new Sadowsky you're ordering.

13. I still feel that way two years later.

Welcome to the family!!

Jeff

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    twiz ~

Great bass, great review! Congrats and thanks all rolled into one.

15. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Man....I gotta get one of these.:meh:

16. OH WOW!!! That is one hot bass! Although, if it were up to me, I would have gone without the pickguard. Its also a good thing you put some good strings on that!

Someday hopefully, I'll get to play one of these beasties...but knowing me, I'll probably pawn off all of my other basses for it...

17. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Cool deal, twiz! ;) Welcome to the club. Jeff will send you the instructions to the secret handshake.

Actually I think the brightness that you are hearing is the clarity of the tone and the fact that EQ is VERY responsive. A little dab will do ya.