Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Me and my guitarist have a problem with the drummer.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Mike Money, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    He wants his friend kyle to play keyboards for us... And kyle is a very talented player.... problem is, he over plays EVERYTHING... its annoying.

Here is our band's myspace...

http://www.myspace.com/thelategreatsrock

take a listen to that... mainly mona.

now, here is kyle's myspace...

http://www.myspace.com/kylewarrpiano

He tries to play stuff like that over our tunes, and it just sounds like crap... He doesn't understand the concept of just adding a little flavor here and there.

wankery! I'll not have it!

2. Scottie

Scottie Banned

Oct 14, 2005
    Dude... listen...

I know where you are coming from.

But...

I took a listen to your band's tunes on the myspace site. I guess I am biased, but I absolutely love bands like Wilco, who you listed as your influences... and I think "Thelma" is very Hotel Yankee Foxtrot style Wilco. I can hear keys in it. Think of how the keys really made Summer Teeth and Hotel Yankee. But I agree.. the guy Kyle doesnt need to overplay, but the keys could add alot to your music. Seriously.

But just make sure the guy knows his role.. Our key player used to play professional in Nashville, and now is in our alt.country/bar room rock band. He adds SO much to our sound, and its noticeable when hes gone. But he plays very subdued and tastefully. Thats what separates a pro from a kick ass player.

3. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Dude. I've totally been there. Gotta love solo musicians with no concept of where they fit with a group. Heck, after a long time of just playing solo acoustic guitar, even I had a hard time moving out of the way to let the group have some room...

Of course, you face this to a certain extent whenever you add a new member to a band.

He seems to be a fairly musical player, albeit in a muscial style completely different from yours... I'd say give him a few rehearsals to get comfortable. You might chime in with some ideas of where and what he could play. My biggest advice to tame a busy pianist is to put them on a non-piano keyboard patch. Sometimes it just takes a step away from what you're used to in order to really open up.

In the end, though, you (and the other guys in the band) need to be happy with the sound of the band. If you feel that the 3 piece thing isn't cutting it, then by all means seek out that missing piece. If you are happy with it now, you might question the need to add another variable to the equation.

But don't be shy about this. He is auditioning for you. You guys need to make sure he can do what you want. If you take him into the group without having him do what you need, you're only hurting friendships and the band.

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I'm all for keys in the band... its just like...

"Dude, kyle... play a whole note buddy! its ok!"

5. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I'm just guessing, but it seems to me like you feel like your having something rammed down your throat.
    Sounds like you were just fine w/ the way it was?
    I'm older and gruffer, but they( the drummer and Kyle) would have to justify to me why he's in, instead of us(you and the guitarist) justifying why he goes.
    Disclaimer as far as keyboards, if your name is not Rick Wakeman or Keith Emerson, I take a LOT of convincing.

I wrote this before I saw the post above, if he's not right, you either find a way to change him, get rid of him, or your band will eat itself alive.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    He looks like a wimp. Kick his ass. Or better yet, kick-flip to ...

7. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    We had a guy like that in my band. It was the most annoying thing in the world. I realise now that theres a big difference between a pianist and a keyboardist.

8. RSalvador

RSalvador

Nov 19, 2005
    Springfield, MO
    I think its important even with the current members to be able to talk philosophy so to speak, about how you want the band to come off as a whole. If people can't objectively look a their own playing and how it contributes to the band as a whole it creates big problems.

I just got hired by a band that wanted to really work on their dynamics. Bringing it way down during the verse, driving home the chorus and building during the solos. The bass player they had played full out all the time. Every member in the band wanted to work on this but he just kept on doing his thing. Everytime they talked about it he just got pissed off and finally quit.

Got to be able to work on those kinds of things as a group and that means people can't put themselves above the group as a whole. The group makes the the sound that gets itself hired. If your playing all over everybody else your not putting the group first.